RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2016

Tighter gear ratio for cassettes

Hi All, Does anyone know about tighter gear ratios for cassettes?

This is my current cassette. Bikeman Shimano HG50 10-Speed 11-36t Cassette

When I am peddling and want to switch to a slightly harder (or easier) gear, and one switch often feels like a big change. I'm looking for a cassette (or solution in general) that will give me finer adjustments when I change gears so that the change does not feel as large. I don't want to switch the front chain ring either just to get small adjustments. If the first two cogs are eliminated (11T and 13T) that is okay as I don't use those much anyway. Any ideas? Any help is much appreciated! Thanks!

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by kovacsa View Post

When I am peddling and want to switch to a slightly harder (or easier) gear, and one switch often feels like a big change. I'm looking for a cassette (or solution in general) that will give me finer adjustments when I change gears so that the change does not feel as large. I don't want to switch the front chain ring either just to get small adjustments. If the first two cogs are eliminated (11T and 13T) that is okay as I don't use those much anyway. Any ideas? Any help is much appreciated! Thanks!
    There are tons of cassettes that have closer ratios, all you have to do is look for smaller large cogs. Most will start w/ 11, some will start w/ 12. Shimano makes 'junior' cassettes for racers under 18...they are 14-28. Sounds like that might work for you. Pretty sure they're only available at the Ultegra level.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member

All you had to do was go up one page from the link you provided. 21 different options for you to choose from.

Bikeman: Cassette
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

Happily absent RBR Member
    11-36 is a ridiculously wide ranging cassette. Even a moderately wide cassette is going to have more useful gear steps than that.
    Get a better saddle: www.kontactbike.com

RoadBikeReview Member

This one will give you pretty close gearing without sacrificing too much at the hill climbing end and only loses the 11T at the high end:

Bikeman Shimano Ultegra 6700 10-Speed 12-30t Cassette

Or for a less expensive source, Jensen USA has it here:

http://www.jensonusa.com/Shimano-Ult...peed-Cassette/

Last edited by Lombard; 12-29-2017 at 06:19 AM.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    If you don't need the super low gearing, there are plenty of closely spaced cassettes. 12/25 would be as close as you can get and unless you have some pretty long steep grades would take care of most rider's needs with a compact crank.
    Moderation is boring - do epic s##t

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by Kontact View Post
    11-36 is a ridiculously wide ranging cassette. Even a moderately wide cassette is going to have more useful gear steps than that.
    Seriously, that's a mountain/touring bike cassette. I've never ran a large cog on a road bike larger than 32T. Currently, none larger than 28T.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

coaster
    I'm a fan of the 11-25 11 speed cassette. A bail out gear that I didn't used to have and still close ratios throughout. I don't think I miss the 18t the 11-23 comes with, even though I rarely use the bail out 25t. On my tandem I have the 11-28 which has an extra bail out gear (need it sometimes on a tandem) but loses the 16t which I do miss.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Start by understanding what range of gearing you need. If you currently require the 36t rear combined with whatever small chainring you have, then you have few choices to get a narrower cassette unless you get a smaller chainring.

Lots of people have these super-wide cassettes who don't actually need the range. If you currently are running a 34/50 crankset, and need the 36 cog in the back, then the odds are good that you don't have the power to actually make use of the 50/11(faster to coast downhill (35 mph) in a tight tuck than to spin 100 rpm in a 50/11) Look at a crank that will allow much smaller front rings so you can choose a narrower cassette and keep the same low gear.

Russian Troll Farmer
    You also did not give us your crankset info; do you have a common double (53/39-ish), a compact (50/34-ish), a triple, or maybe even no front derailleur? If you have the first, I would think you live in a hilly place. The second, a very hilly place, the third, a very hilly place that you ride fully-laden for touring, and the fourth, would be just about perfect for a normally hilly-ish area.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2002
    Miche would be the #1 source for that.
    PRIMATO 10 SH - Cassettes / Sprockets - Strada - Products

Regarding the 36t Sprocket:
    meditate on Rule #5

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andreas_Illesch View Post
    Regarding the 36t Sprocket:
    meditate on Rule #5
    Oh puhleeze!
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger