Le Misérable

Time Quickset question

I'm just trying to change stems here.

If I loosen the clamping bolts on the steering tube, will that goofy 'plug' that is where the headset bolt would normally be simply lift off, allowing the installation of the new stem and reinsertion of the plug? I imagine that's what will happen--what good would technology that separates headset adjustment from stem adjustment be if it was more complicated than that--but I'd like to confirm with someone who's seen one of these from the inside before doing it. There is talk of proprietary tools once you get into the headset that I don't have...

Incidentally I have no idea what's going on inside this headset, a feeling I don't like very much. Does anyone have either a link or a few minutes to explain what the he!! makes this thing tick? Time doesn't want to share anything besides the directions to an authorized dealer...
    C'est dommage que je sois un ignorant, car je vous citerais une foule de choses ; mais je ne sais rien.

--Hugo

Living in France, le blog

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    I have no personal experience with the TIME Quickset, but here's some info which might be useful. English on page 2. "Dynamometer wrench" is Frenglish for "torque wrench."
    http://middlepath.gotdns.com/bikes/quickset.pdf
    Last edited by wim; 10-16-2009 at 04:43 AM.

Le Misérable
    Quote Originally Posted by wim
    I have no personal experience with the TIME Quickset, but here's some info which might be useful. English on page 2. "Dynamometer wrench" is Frenglish for "torque wrench."
    http://middlepath.gotdns.com/bikes/quickset.pdf
    What a fascinating piece of equipment. Although the plug, or 'bouchon de compression' (love how the French use wine vocabulary whenever possible) is already out at the beginning of the instructions, by the way it is put back in it certainly looks like it will pull out easily after loosening the stem clamping screws, so problem solved. Figured as much, but good to see it in an official publication, one that I could for some reason not find on my own.

This will be even more useful the dreaded day that I have to take the headset apart: thanks for the link!!

PS that is pretty sweet, how they translated clé dynamométrique as 'dynamometer wrench'...whatever. Reminds me of a ridiculous conversation I had with an LBS guy over here the first time I tried to buy a torque wrench in French...I almost went home with a very fancy bike lock (the French word clé is both 'wrench' and 'key' in English, and I didn't know the word dynamométrique at the time).

That mistake aside, though, I have to say that the English translation in this Time document is the best I've seen in a while in terms of directions. I bought a winter apron for my Vespa last week and the instructions were only in Italian (which I only read by way of French, in other words badly) and a sort of English that seemed to have come from an online translator. Funny? Yes. Useful assembly instructions? Not really.
    Last edited by Ibashii; 10-16-2009 at 05:16 AM.
    C'est dommage que je sois un ignorant, car je vous citerais une foule de choses ; mais je ne sais rien.

--Hugo

Living in France, le blog

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Ibashii
    PS that is pretty sweet, how they translated clé dynamométrique as 'dynamometer wrench'...whatever.
    Although part-time now, I'm still in the translating business (German > English) and know what you're saying about the apron instructions. It never ceases to amaze me how even large and wealthy companies can't find the time or money to either have a native speaker of the target language do the translation if qualified, or at least have a native speaker subject matter expert read the damn translation and mark it up. Case in point in Mavic's amusing admonition to use "mineral oil" in some of their hubs, which is a misleading translation of huile minérale. That term simply means "oil made from petroleum, not plants," but has made some people put Johnson's Baby Oil into their Mavic hubs.

/w
    Last edited by wim; 10-16-2009 at 06:48 AM.

banned
    Aug 2009
    Yes. The clamping force of the stem on the steer tube of the fork holds the compression plug in. You can't get it out if the stem is clamped on, so don't try it. Once the stem is completely loosened/taken off, the plug comes right out.

And make sure that you put it in before you clamp the stem on, or you're going to run into some equal-yet-opposite problems. Also, you should have gotten a couple of metal "pins" that fit into the indents in the upper headset cup that act as leverage to loosen the headset assembly. All of the Time road bikes with the QuickSet system follow these same rules.