RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002

Time RXS pedal bearings

My Time RXS are fairly new but they've developed some play in the bearings and I can feel it while I'm pedaling. An inspection reveals that the crankarms are very solid/no play but both pedals have a little play in them and the left one is worse. Can these be adjusted or serviced? These are the "First" model, although I assume that the service issue applies to all the RXS pedals. I rode the Impacts for years but they started to wear out and I was liking the RXS but not so much with this development. Any advice appreciated. Perhaps a warranty issue?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Bearings?

Quote Originally Posted by ridewt View Post
    My Time RXS are fairly new but they've developed some play in the bearings and I can feel it while I'm pedaling. An inspection reveals that the crankarms are very solid/no play but both pedals have a little play in them and the left one is worse. Can these be adjusted or serviced? These are the "First" model, although I assume that the service issue applies to all the RXS pedals. I rode the Impacts for years but they started to wear out and I was liking the RXS but not so much with this development. Any advice appreciated. Perhaps a warranty issue?
    Are you sure you are not feeling the float in the Time pedal system? "A little play" in the pedals is going to be pretty hard to feel given the play inherent in the cleat/pedal interface combined with the Time float. Whether it is a warranty issue is best left to where ever you bought the pedals.

I am not familiar with the pedal to know whether the bearings are adjustable but that should be pretty obvious with a close inspection. Typically there is a removable dust cap if the bearings can be adjusted.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    I have RXS Firsts on 2 bikes and they both have a bit of play. One set is nearly new, one has about 5000 miles. No significant difference in the play between new & old. I can't feel the play when riding. As the previous poster said, how would you tell with all the lateral and angular float that's going on?

It doesn't look like they can be adjusted but I am no pedal guru. I love my RXSs, after 20000 miles suffering with Looks, they are amazing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002

Not the float

It's definitely not the float. When I am off the bike and I pull on the pedals with my hand, I can feel that there is play in the bearings. I can also feel it on the left pedal when I ride -- it feels like a rough or loose bearing. After I posted, I did further internet searches and found that, although the pedals were not designed to be serviced, they can be. The posts I read said to clamp down on the metal ring and turn the pedal counter-clockwise and then the pedal body will come loose from the spindle. There was also mention of the type of bearing to use to replace the bearings. I don't recall anything about adjusting the bearings. The posts just mentioned cleaning, relubing and, if necessary, changing bearings. I'm not the best mechanic so this might be a little over my head but would like to get these fixed as it drives me crazy to have that sloppy feeling in the pedal.

Re-Cyclist
    I doubt there is play in the bearings. Maybe a little in the assembly. On some Time pedals. the threaded plastic end cap must be tight in all the way to reduce side play. That plagued me until I contacted Time.
    Santa Barbara, CA -- My Photo Site -- My Business Site

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004
    Nope, some RXS pedals have a tiny bit of play in the bearings. Doesn't seem to get worse, in my experience.