RoadBikeReview Member

Trouble with EC90 seatpost -offset

Does anyone have experience with this post? I installed it Monday of last week and on Sunday the seat clamp/pivot slipped mid ride, rounding the carbon groves. I had to set it nose down to get it to hold, and ride on the front of the saddle to get home.

So yesterday afternoon I added some Ritchey Liquid Torque. and really cranked down on it. Twelve miles into a 20 mile ride this morning, the seat slips, so I have to ride out of the saddle for the rest of the ride. NOW THAT'S A WORKOUT! By the time I got home, my saddle was flopping around on the post.

The culprit it seems, is the fixing bolt must be loosening allowing the seat clamp to slip. I can fix that with a little locktight, but what about the screwed up carbon groves? Will I need to bond the thing together to keep it from slipping in the future? Has anyone dealt with Easton on this issue. It looks like they are no longer making an offset seat post for the ec90. Probably too many problems such as mine!
    Last edited by AlexCad5; 06-09-2008 at 10:19 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    I thought for sure we had that thing fixed last night.
    Hopefully someone here can give you some good advice.

RoadBikeRider
    I would return it and get something else. You shouldn't have to "make" a seatpost work.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005
    What torque spec did you use on the fixing bolt?

Easton's instructions are pretty explicit - 11.2Nm (100 in/lbs) ride 50 miles, tighten again.

Descender
    Oct 2005
    Had a similar problem with the same post. It seams you have to hit the grooves just right with that post - otherwise you don't clamp properly and it loosens. I really had to reef it down pretty good to get it to hold.

But if it loosens you have to back it off and retighten. Otherwise you will strip the grooves out. Sounds like you have already stripped the grooves. Maybe consider another post if this is the case.

Thompson makes some great products with none of the above issues

More cowbell!
    I had similar issues with an EC70 on my mountain bike. It was replaced under warranty through the place I bought it from. I haven't had any problems since, but I'm careful to line the grooves up well and torque the bolt properly.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    I have an Easton EA70. Same problem if you don't hit those grooves just right.

However-if you have carbon grooves I don't think they will take too many slips.

Carbon Fiber = Explode!
    I have an EC90 Zero, and I haven't had any problems with it. You honestly don't have to torque the bolts that much. I'm guessing they're stripped?

Didn't use anything on them either, just bone dry.

Maybe your seat is "too far back"
    '09 Voodoo Wazoo
    '08 Pedal Force RS2
    '06 Raleigh Cadent 5.0
    '01 Trek 4300 MTB
    '93 Norco Nitro MTB Touring
    '88 Schwinn Prelude Fixie
    1 hour of running = 1 hour of wasted time when you could have been riding. - Alaska Mike

RoadBikeReview Member
    With an off set there is a lot more pressure on the mast head since the junction is supporting your weight at a 45 degree angle rather than straight up and down. Apparently it needed more tightening than I gave it. The fastening bolt is not stripped, the teeth of the seat junction are thought. Looks like I will be bonding it together.

Carbon Fiber = Explode!
    Take a picture for us. Are you maxed out on your rail setback?
    '09 Voodoo Wazoo
    '08 Pedal Force RS2
    '06 Raleigh Cadent 5.0
    '01 Trek 4300 MTB
    '93 Norco Nitro MTB Touring
    '88 Schwinn Prelude Fixie
    1 hour of running = 1 hour of wasted time when you could have been riding. - Alaska Mike

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005

me too

Hello,

I pretty much stripped the grooves on my ec90 in the same manner. I had to rub some fine dirt on the grooves and really tighten down the bolt during a ride a couple of months ago. Has held up quite well ever since. I also noticed that the nut on the seatpost clamp had become loose and preventing sufficient torque to be applied. A couple of drops of superglue sorted that out. Try that but YMMV.

Laifer