RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010

Truvativ ISIS to Hollowtech?

A friend has a 2004 Cannondale r600 caad5 with a Truvativ ISIS BB and double crankset for a 2x9 speed drivetrain. He would like to change to a compact double and I happen to have a spare Shimano Hollowtech compact crankset for 2x10. Are there any issues with making this switch? Also, he is about 6'2" and it is a 58 cm frame with 175mm crank arms. My cranks are 172.5. 2.5mm just seems like too little to worry about.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by econprof View Post
    A friend has a 2004 Cannondale r600 caad5 with a Truvativ ISIS BB and double crankset for a 2x9 speed drivetrain. He would like to change to a compact double and I happen to have a spare Shimano Hollowtech compact crankset for 2x10. Are there any issues with making this switch? Also, he is about 6'2" and it is a 58 cm frame with 175mm crank arms. My cranks are 172.5. 2.5mm just seems like too little to worry about.
    This switch will require a new Shimano bottom bracket to go with the crankset. I wouldn't worry about the crank arm length.

I'm not sure about the 9 speed chain on the 10 speed rings, but if there was a problem, I think it would only be that the 10 speed rings may wear faster, because they are thinner. I'm not certain if the distance between the rings themselves is changed from 9 to 10 speed. If so, that may affect shifting on the front.