RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005

tubeless road bike wheelset help

didn't think about it till last night, a bud mentioned about black friday deals. i'm looking for a tubeless wheelset for the rock lobster that i'm getting. don't need a set for racing, want durability more than light weight, i'm 6'2", 210lbs so i need something with a little meat to 'em.

the only ones i've really found i like are the fulcrum's. anyone have any suggestions on what to look for during the weekend's sales orgy? i'm tryinig to stay in the $1000+/- range.

thanks for any suggestions.

Blah, Blah, Blah
    Ultegra 6700 if you have Shimano, 1600ish grams and you can find them all over the place for under $400.
    On & Off Rhodes.com
    Bike, Hike, Run.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by onrhodes View Post
    Ultegra 6700 if you have Shimano, 1600ish grams and you can find them all over the place for under $400.
    Agreed. I have this wheelset and couldn't be happier with them.
    Sometimes you eat the bar, and sometimes, well, he eats you.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    If you want to spend the cash then the new Shimano 9000 C24 would be nice. New hubs are a little more future proof as they are 11 speed compatible. You can run shimano and campy 11 speed with these. Shimano 11 speed cassette works good with campy.

Otherwise I would go with some custom built wheels around a nice wide rim like the HED C2 or Kinlin XC279. The Boyd Vittesse with their 24/28 spoke config would be excellent for under $600. Use some stans tape and the 44mm valves and that is a great wheelset.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    American Classic? 1179g

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by skinewmexico View Post
    American Classic? 1179g
    seriously? they OP weighs 210lbs, or did you not read that bit? he probably wants some wheels that'll last past next week.
    i work for some bike racers...
    2013 Trek Madone 5.9 w/ '12 SRAM Red
    2010 Cervelo T1 sprint bike
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9
    oh, those belong in another forum

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Yeah NO to the AC tubeless wheelset at anything over 180. Some people around 160 say they are flexy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    thx folks for the input.
    i'll be running the sram red gruppo which i believe is still a 10 speed but like the suggestion of the shimano 9000 c24 for 11 speed possibilities in the future.

i didn't realize one could get tubeless rims in the $4-600 range, my searches kept coming up with $850 sale pricing and up.

thanks for the help.
    Happy Thanksgiving to all.

jason

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Any rim can be run tubeless with stans tape. Tubeless ready rims don't need any rims tape. Not a big deal.

Online Wheel Builder
    You could always lace up T11s to XC279 rims. That would be plenty stiff for your weight in a 20/28 hole count.

Keep in mind just because you are running tubeless does not mean that you have to go with a tubeless specific wheel. You can set up pretty much anything tubeless.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by NWS Alpine View Post
    Any rim can be run tubeless with stans tape. Tubeless ready rims don't need any rims tape. Not a big deal.
    this is not always true. Bontrager TLR rims need tape or tubeless rim strips, and the new Velocity A23 is tubeless ready but obviously needs tape.
    i work for some bike racers...
    2013 Trek Madone 5.9 w/ '12 SRAM Red
    2010 Cervelo T1 sprint bike
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9
    oh, those belong in another forum

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2012
    Mad Duck,

Hope you are still tuned in here. I just joined this forum to describe my latest wheel set.
    I also am 6 feet 2 inches and 210+ pounds and ride 200-300 miles a week.

My 4 year old 61cm Treck 5.2 came with Bontrager Ultralights but the rims began to crack from spoke tension after about 5000 miles From there I bought a set of Mavic KSYRUM elites and they lasted about 3000 miles until spokes started to break, which is a real PIA because they can't be serviced very easy. But the ride was much better than the cracking Treck wheels.

So my local bike shop Palos Verdes Bicycle Center built a custom wheel set, and they are a real dramatic change for the better for my constant riding:

Chris King hubs
    Stans NOTUBES ZTR ALPHA 340 rims
    DT butted spokes
    Hutchinson Fusion tubeless tires
    With a few spoonfuls of Stansnotubes magic.

I forget the actual price but it was around $1.4K

For a great ride, no more puncture flats, no more pinch flats, lower tire pressure, confidence in the turns and at high speeds, more fun,

These solid wheels have taken some big hits.

Good Luck