leon2982
    May 2007

tubular gluing tape

Anyone used this stuff? Tufo activated tubular tire gluing tape. The directions say it only works with Tufo tires. I heard it does not work well with Continental tubulars. Has anyone tried Vittoria or Vredestein tubulars with this stuff?

bike bike bike bike
    i had to remove the stuff from some carbon rims yesterday. fun stuff. not really.

we refuse to use it at the shop.

Banned forever.....or not
    Tubular gluing tape is for sissies who can not master the art of properly gluing a tublar to a rim, and should not be using tubulars in the first place. These are usually the same people who spray some goop into their sew up instead of repairing it the proper way.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY
    Tubular gluing tape is for sissies who can not master the art of properly gluing a tublar to a rim, and should not be using tubulars in the first place. These are usually the same people who spray some goop into their sew up instead of repairing it the proper way.

annnnnnnnnd this is why the RBR forums are pure rubbish. elitism = bad times.

I make my living wrenching and swear by the Tufo tape. I've used it with Vittoria tires without issue. Have a set of Specialized tires mounted with it as well and they've held up just fine. It obviously works well with the Tufo tires. I've mounted just about every common commercially available tire with it and have nothing but positive things to say.

I've never had a customer come back with a problem(and I serve a lot of serious road racers/triathletes)

A skilled mechanic should have no problem with a taped tubular.....

Arrogant roadie.....
    Keep in mind, it WILL rip your base tape off if you try to remove it. Any tire you mount with Tufo tape should thereafter be considered "not possible to repair". If you want to risk having to throw away a $50+ tire any time you get a flat, go for it!
    We are the 801
    We are the central shaft

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2007
    I was told by a reputable bike mechanic (who works on Lance and George's Bikes as well President Bush's) it work well as long as the carcass is made out of Polyamide (which Tufo and Continental are made out of) but it wouldn't stick well on carcass of tubulars made out of cotton/polyester like Vittoria, Veloflex, Gommaitalia....
    Keep it mind that Schwalbe make some with cotton/poluester and polyamide.

Hope this helps,

Banned forever.....or not
    But it doesn't stick to the carcass. It sticks to the base tape.
    I guess that you could always rip off the base tape with the tufo tape, repair the tubie in the proper way, and glue on new base tape....................and monkeys will fly out of my butt.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

Team American Classic
    I have tubies with both and the tape is easier to install, harder to repair. I have the Tufo Tape on my TT wheels, but glue on the ones for my crit/training wheels. When I do a TT, I tend to be in a place where I can easily get a lift back, but if I am on a MUT or something, I use the glued ones...

Flash

RoadBikeReview Member
    Beyond the ease of doing it for folks not into gluing tires, I just don't see the need for the stuff. It is expensive (compared to glue). It can destroy carbon rims. It makes tire change in the field a pain in the arse. Is the problem it is 'fixing' messy installation? Proper technique with glue takes care of that.

You'll have to pry my trusty can of Panaracer glue out of my cold, gray hands.