RoadBikeReview Member

Two questions about Ultegra RD-6700 GS and FSA Gossamer Pro cranks

1) Can anybody tell me how long is the cage of the Ultegra RD-6700 GS, listed as medium and long cage?

2) Does anybody know where to find a FSA Gossamer Pro Abs Adventure crankset with 46/30T rings? It isn't shown on FSA's website, but Felt offers it as standard on its VR-4 endurance bike. Also, I've been reading about it in the web as a 2017 product (supposedly released in late 2016).

Thanks in advance

'brifter' is a lame word.
    The 6700 rear derailleur is available in short cage (SS) and medium cage (GS). There is no 'long' cage, called 'SGS' by Shimano, available. It's not made. 30t is the largest cog that will work w/ the 'GS' version, 28t w/ the 'SS' version. The 'GS' will has a capacity of 39 or 40t depending on who is supplying the information, Shimano's pdf says 39 teeth. I can't tell you how long the cage is but that's it's capacity.

I have no idea about the FSA crank.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

Adorable Furry Hombre
    The combo can work fine, why do you ask?

Something to note with the VR4 frameset (and other bikes in the VR lineup)...it's waterbottle bosses are low-slung as in for CX, to increase shouldering-ability (or have room for bike-packing bag in the triangle). Which means that your FD band will go between the two bosses, so you'll need to spacer-out your water bottle cage on that boss....which is strange and ironic: since the VR4 isn't a CX bike (or labeled as such), and since their own dedicated CX frames don't use low-slung bosses either.

Look at the VR3 model on their site. You'll see a 46/30 with 11-32 drivetrain and see the FD band problem on that bike.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Check ebay for the crank. They have a pretty poor reputation so it wouldn't shock me if someone got that Felt you're talking about they'd dump the crank for another.

I assume it's just the ring sizes you really care about and not the specific brand. Rotor, White Industries, and Velo Orange may have 46/30 to offer. Not sure but those are few companies you could google to check.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Check ebay for the crank. They have a pretty poor reputation so it wouldn't shock me if someone got that Felt you're talking about they'd dump the crank for another.

I assume it's just the ring sizes you really care about and not the specific brand. Rotor, White Industries, and Velo Orange may have 46/30 to offer. Not sure but those are few companies you could google to check.

The White is $500 ($250 for crank arms, $170 for chainrings, then BB and shipping) after all is said and done, for a square taper alloy crankset...the rotor is going to be $500-800USD ($150 for chainrings, $300-$500 for crankarms). There's a Sugino 46/30 that'll be $400-500 after all is said. IRD Defiant will be $200-250 with BB...for an old alloy square taper. Velo Orange lists a 46/30, for $200+BB-for a square taper. The 46-30 market is tiny. Shimano doesn't even list it in E-Tube for Di2.

All the other options cost twice as much for something probably heavier....and 3X as much for something lighter.
    Last edited by Marc; 04-29-2017 at 08:42 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've a Felt F75 wich I love, that is rigged with 105 50/34 cranks--5500, I think--, Ultegra RD 6600 GS and a 12/36T cassette. I had to bend the B-screw in order to raise the cage. It works fine. It was rigged before with a 11/32 cassette (no bending the B-screw), but our climbs in Rio, particularly one, is super steep and I'm pushing 61.

That said, I want to upgrade the group, for an Ultegra 6700 10-speed and use the 11/32 cassette. So I've thought of getting 46/30 cranks instead.
    Last edited by laperted; 05-04-2017 at 07:13 AM.

is riding in MOPP4
    Your cheapest option is to go with a Shimano CX50 crank set in 46/36. They are 105-level and are available for under $100. You will likely need a new bb, but you could get a decent one for $15-20.
    Wake me up when it's alarm green.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    The White is $500 ($250 for crank arms, $170 for chainrings, then BB and shipping) after all is said and done, for a square taper alloy crankset...the rotor is going to be $500-800USD ($150 for chainrings, $300-$500 for crankarms). There's a Sugino 46/30 that'll be $400-500 after all is said.

When it's a stranger on the internet, not me, money is not an obstacle.

Just kidding OP. Probably wouldn't have even mentioned those had a I known the full details of what I suggested checking out.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    When it's a stranger on the internet, not me, money is not an obstacle.

Just kidding OP. Probably wouldn't have even mentioned those had a I known the full details of what I suggested checking out.

We have a whole ongoing 5-page long thread on BikeForums talking 46/30 options.

My unpavement bike has the IRD 46/30 which is a pretty piece of metal....but when out of the saddle the difference in stiffness compared to a modern hollow-axle external-bearing crank like Chorus ultra-torque is pretty noticeable. The Sugino OX601D is the only modern 46/30 crank on sale at present, it is neat because it can use either 110BCD or 74BCD rings....the FSA has been vaporware for a while, but may be had far cheaper buying from the EU hopefully once it is available.

RoadBikeReview Member
    An update on this quest: IRD and Velo Orange do have the said 46/30T cranks, but you've to use their own BBs. Both cost up to US$ 250 (BB included). Sugino does have a modern crank that can be readily installed on my Shimano Hollowtech II BB. However, it's very expensive, US$ 400 (BB not included).
    I'm leaning on IRD or Velo Orange, because 400 bucks for cranks alone it's too much for my middle-of-the-road-rigged-ten-year-old Felt.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by laperted View Post
    An update on this quest: IRD and Velo Orange do have the said 46/30T cranks, but you've to use their own BBs. Both cost up to US$ 250 (BB included). Sugino does have a modern crank that can be readily installed on my Shimano Hollowtech II BB. However, it's very expensive, US$ 400 (BB not included).
    I'm leaning on IRD or Velo Orange, because 400 bucks for cranks alone it's too much for my middle-of-the-road-rigged-ten-year-old Felt.

Negative, ghostrider. Both the VO and the IRD take a 118mm JIS taper, Shimano's UN55 BB does the trick. Which Jenson has on sale for $15USD

The IRD is a looker, it would be nice if it was as stiff as a modern hollow-axle however.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks for the help folks. I've settled on the Velo Orange crankset and BB. As the latter, I've only chosen on the assumption that it'll have better quality that then Shimano UN55, suggested by Marc, will it not?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2016
    Check ebay for the crank. They have a pretty poor reputation ...
    Are you sure the current version of the FSA Gossamer Pro ABS crankset has a poor reputation? Perhaps you are lumping in the Gossamer (not Pro) or the pre-ABS version?

I installed an FSA Gossamer Pro ABS crankset (48x32) on my friend's bike and the quality seemed pretty good. Of course time will tell.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred C Dobbs View Post
    Are you sure the current version of the FSA Gossamer Pro ABS crankset has a poor reputation? Perhaps you are lumping in the Gossamer (not Pro) or the pre-ABS version?

I installed an FSA Gossamer Pro ABS crankset (48x32) on my friend's bike and the quality seemed pretty good. Of course time will tell.
    Yes, I was. Sorry, I just saw the word Gossamer and thought there was only one.