RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2017

Is an Ultegra 11 spd crankset compatible with a 10 spd cassette?

I am thinking about changing out the crankset on my Fuji. It has an Ultegra groupset, minus the crank/bb.

The crank is a triple Truvativ unit. I want to change out the BB to a Shimano unit, and the crank to a Ultegra 6800 53/39 double.

I will either have to tweak the FD, or buy a new one. Same thing with my left shifter. My question is about the chain, can I use a regular 10 spd chain with the Ultegra crankset?

I have read that the chain width is different for the 10/11 spd, but is the inside spacing the same?

Thanks

'brifter' is a lame word.
    10 speed chain is fine.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Regardless of the answer; I've used both 10 and 11 speed chains with the same 10 speed set up in the rear and 11 chains result in better shifting. The down side is they don't last as long as 10.

I understand you are probably asking about using a chain you already own but in the future I'd replace it with 11 unless longevity is a bigger priority than shifting quality.

Not to imply there's anything wrong with a 10 speed chain. 11 speed chains definitely work a little better in my experience with everything else being equal though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2017
    Thanks for the info.

I was actually going to buy a new chain with the new crank. If the 11 spd chain shifts better, Iíll grab one of those.

I don't mind making this combo of parts work. Eventually I might change out to a full 11 spd setup. I just don't see any reason to do so now when my 10 spd parts are still in good shape.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryLook View Post
    Thanks for the info.

I was actually going to buy a new chain with the new crank. If the 11 spd chain shifts better, Iíll grab one of those.

I don't mind making this combo of parts work. Eventually I might change out to a full 11 spd setup. I just don't see any reason to do so now when my 10 spd parts are still in good shape.
    The single biggest stumbling block on a 11 spd. upgrade is the rear hub. 11 is different and you cannot use 11 spd. cassettes on 10 spd. hubs.

If the hub is good, there are really good deals in Ultegra 6800 series kits, that might make it worth it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2017
    I actually just got a new set of Neugent wheels with the 11 spd hub. I will use my 10 spd cassette with the provided spacer for now, but might change over to a 11 spd setup in the future.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2017
    My current crankset and or BB has become super creaky. I have taken it apart and cleaned/retorqued everything. All I can think is the original BB (mark 2005) is probably a bit worn.

I know I could just install a new BB for around 20$, but this is my opportunity to switch over to a double Shimano crankset. My current Truvativ crankset is a bit worn, and the chainrings are pitted.

Worn bearings don't 'creak', they click. A bottom bracket that isn't tight enough in the frame will creak.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2017
    Ok sorry, bad description on my part. They click. It started out with a single click with a rotation of the crank. Now there are multiple clicks while pedaling. If I pedal easy, the clicks go away. When I pedal harder, the clicks become more frequent and are also louder.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2017
    I found a good deal on an Ultegra 53/39 crankset and BB-R60 bottom bracket on Christmas. I also bought the Shimano socket to tighten the BB. All parts including shipping cost 179$.

I am looking forward to putting it on the bike.

Remove the bottom bracket, clean it, regrease the **** out of it and torque it down.

Slowski
    My current setup is Ultegra 6800 36-52t crankset, 105 5700 shifters and derailleurs, BB-R9100 bottom bracket, Ultegra 6701 chain, and SRAM 11-28 10 speed cassette.

Everything seems to work perfectly.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2017
    Sounds like a nice setup eboos.

I ordered my Ultegra crank right after Xmas, and am still waiting to get it. Its taking a while coming from Ribble in the UK.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2017
    I got my new crankset, BB, and BB socket on Friday. I changed it out last night. I of course had to adjust the limits on the FD to work with the new crank.

The Truvativ crank was easy to remove with the self extracting arm. I didn't think it would be that easy.

The Ultegra BB and crank were also easy to install. I didn't have the Shimano tool to use on the left crank arm cap, but my star driver set had a bit that fit very snug. I resisted the urge to use a ratchet on it, and tightened it by hand, since the torque spec on the cap is very low