Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Muahahaha!

Ultegra 11-speed & updated electronic: Finally some leaks?

Don't know if the following info is legit, but, FWIW:

(though it would make sense for Shimano to leak some info, in light of SRAM's recent big announcements)

Monkhouse: I want to die like my Dad did, peacefully, in his sleep... not screaming in terror like his passengers.

SystemShock: I kicked Lance in the nuts. Err, nut.

Platypius:
    I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Kitty: ROMNEY LANDSLIDE! Man its gonna be fun in PO after Election Day.

Seamus: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind

Muahahaha!
    Also, this write-up, which I assume was either a) released prematurely and then yanked (this is from a cached web page), or b) is simply someone's idea of a hoax.

Shimano Launch New 11-Speed Ultegra

Triathlon Plus|Gear|Gear News| 25/04/2013 09:53am

Shimano incorporates 11-speed to Ultegra

Today SHIMANO launches its 2014 Ultegra lineup. The new 6800 series incorporates race proven Dura-Ace technologies to improve comfort and control, like an 11-speed rider tuned drivetrain, improved shifting performance and more braking power. Both groupsets share their true spirit of the sport. Where Dura-Ace focuses fully on professional race level, Ultegra brings race proven technology to cycling enthusiasts.

The dual control shifters give tactile feedback to the rider that the gear shift has been completed. With a shorter lever stroke and defined click engagement the shift is completed. The hoods and bracket grip are more compact, and the carbon lever has been redesigned to improve ergonomics and control.

Both derailleurs have also been completely redesigned. They are more compact, lighter, feature a shorter stroke at the lever and deliver more even shifting effort throughout the full range of the cassette. The new drivetrain makes shifting and braking as easy as possible so a rider can, concentrate on the ride, especially in tough conditions.

The new Ultegra 6800 series has 10% more braking power that its predecessor. The extra brake power results in enhanced control, especially from the hood position. This, in large, is as a result of the new symmetrical dual pivot design and the new brake shoe compound. Besides increased braking power, modulation is improved by using new polymer-coated BC-R680 cables. The Ultegra brakes are also available in a direct mount version for aerodynamics (BR-R6800).

Ultegra 6800 has a rider-tuned drivetrain. Rider-tuned means that riders can individually choose a large variety of gearing options for all kinds of riding, whether you ride races, Gran Fondo’s, sportives or cyclocross. The Ultegra cassette is going 11-speed. From 11-23T all the way to 11-32T. The Ultegra 6800 crank shares the same 4 arm design as its Dura-Ace counterpart. The 4 arms provide a better power transfer compared to a five arm design, and reduce overall weight. The crank is available in 53x39T, 52x36T, 50x34T and 46x36T.

The chain (CN-6800) with a new surface technology called Sil-tec. an advanced surface plating technology to increase performance. Recently debuted in the Dura-Ace 9000 chain, Sil-Tec technology adds a low friction surface treatment that runs smoother and lasts longer.

With Ultegra going 11-speed SHIMANO has developed an 11-speed wheel on Ultegra level, the WH-6800. This lightweight wheel has a wide flange hub and an offset rim for high rigidity and power transmission. It has a digital adjustment system and less quick release axial force for easy maintenance and cup & cone bearings for durability.

Compatible in tubular, tube and tubeless. As with all SHIMANO wheels, the WH-6800 is 100% in-house produced and hand-assembled.

Read more: Shimano Launch New 11-Speed Ultegra - Triathlon Plus | TriRadar.comhttp://www.triradar.com/gear/shimano...#ixzz2RkeHTFd6
    Monkhouse: I want to die like my Dad did, peacefully, in his sleep... not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Platypius:

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Nov 2008
    Blah,
    That frame looks like some crappy chinese open mold get up. I do like the Shimano components though.

Very nice.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The article didn't mention the real innovations here: Wireless brakes!!

But you didn't hear it from me. I don't want Shimano getting all law-suity on me.

Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Don't know if the following info is legit, but, FWIW:

RoadBikeReview Member
    "Finally some leaks? "

That's what they said when SRAM announced their new hydraulic road brakes.
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tihsepa View Post
    Blah,
    That frame looks like some crappy chinese open mold get up. I do like the Shimano components though.

Very nice.
    Couldn't agree more, but yeah the Shimano components are cool!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Good, this means 10 speed Ultegra Di2 will go for much less now.
    Argon 18
    Ridley
    Brodie

Muahahaha!
    Quote Originally Posted by looigi View Post
    "Finally some leaks? "

That's what they said when SRAM announced their new hydraulic road brakes.

Platypius:

Muahahaha!
    More info and a lot more photos (with credit to RBR poster krtassoc, who apparently has been googling around too):

Cyclinside.com - Ultegra 2014 va a 11V e imita il fratello maggiore

(it's in Italian, but Google Chrome can translate that for you)

Platypius:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    I need to pick up some 10 speed Di2 soon then. I have too many rear wheels to switch over to 11sp anytime soon or maybe even ever.
    Embrace the fact that everyone on these forums has their own unique desires, needs, experiences and environment so what works for you may not work for others.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    More info and a lot more photos (with credit to RBR poster krtassoc, who apparently has been googling around too):

Cyclinside.com - Ultegra 2014 va a 11V e imita il fratello maggiore

(it's in Italian, but Google Chrome can translate that for you)
    Those pictures look like they are the mechanical cable activated components.
    Embrace the fact that everyone on these forums has their own unique desires, needs, experiences and environment so what works for you may not work for others.

Muahahaha!
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus_XXIV View Post
    Those pictures look like they are the mechanical cable activated components.
    Yup, I'd agree on those.

Platypius:

AGW
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Yup, I'd agree on those.
    From the cyclinside article, yes (hence why the'yre referred to as 6800), but the components on the Shimano promo frame are definitely Di2.

Muahahaha!
    Quote Originally Posted by AGW View Post
    From the cyclinside article, yes (hence why the'yre referred to as 6800), but the components on the Shimano promo frame are definitely Di2.
    Agree on that as well.

Ppl who are focused on either the mech or the electric can probably rest easy, as you'd think Shimano is going to release both for the new Ultegra (though maybe not exactly at the same time?, i.e. they'd likely announce both at the same time, but the actual release dates for the two could be somewhat different).

Last edited by SystemShock; 04-29-2013 at 04:15 AM.

Platypius:

AGW
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Shimano is making some updates to their wheels and pedals for 2014 and have a tentative release date for some of that in September. I imagine mfg for 6800/6870 would be in full swing not long after that in order for it to be OEM on the 2014 round of bikes. It always seems to take longer to get a hold of new group kits by themselves than it does buying it on complete bike. We'll see how long it takes to get SRAM 22, for instance.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012
    Id be surprised if they updated the Ui2 FD or RD- other than change of color. We can already use 6700 Ui2 with 11sp via firmware upgrade.

Super Moderator
    Mar 2013

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    $1250 for that group is excellent!

Those are going to sell like crazy if they are anywhere near as good as the 9000 groups.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tihsepa View Post
    Blah,
    That frame looks like some crappy chinese open mold get up.
    LOL ... don't know your frames do you? It's a repainted Scott Foil, not a Chinese knock off. Might want to actually look at the frame before dissing it.

As for Shimano Ultegra ... all I can say is Blah! Di2 Ultegra is better, but the cable stuff, just not interesting, heavy and expensive compared to SRAM components.
    Bikes:
    • 2013 Scott Foil 40
    • 2013 Jamis Nova Race (winter training bike)
    • 2012 Argon 18 E-118

AGW
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Full_Spectrum View Post
    Id be surprised if they updated the Ui2 FD or RD- other than change of color. We can already use 6700 Ui2 with 11sp via firmware upgrade.
    Only with a 9070 RD, and the 6770 FD doesn't trim to accomodate the 11th cog. It was never Shimano's intent for 6770 and 9070 to be compatible.

Muahahaha!

Yay! Shimano finally announced it. I guess they felt they had to, in light of SRAM's recent announcement.

One disappointment... no 12-28 cassette, as they had with Dura Ace 9000.
    Only cassettes announced thus far are 11-23T, 11-25T, 12-25T, 11-28T, 11-32T. This is better than SRAM's 11-speed options, which were ALL 11-X cassettes, but still.

Campy will give you a 12-27 or 12-29 in 11-speed, so it's not like it's so difficult.

Other than that, looks like a nice group, and it's allegedly shipping late June.

Platypius:

Matnlely Dregaend
    The Shimano Ultegra 11 speed version of WiFli certainly seems attractive (50/34 compact with 11-32 and a medium cage derailleur), especially given the possibility of a Rapid Unscheduled Disassembly event of SRAM's RD. Still, Athena offers some advantages (available chainrings, lower weight, works with old hubs/wheels, starts with 12 cog cassettes, carbon options), so my bet is the online prices will be below Athena's pretty quick, so maybe around $850?
    Last edited by DrSmile; 04-30-2013 at 02:09 PM.
    "I haven't @#&$ed like that since I was an altar boy." - Hank Moody
    “Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” - Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "Genuine Campagnolo Spares - Inserts for Dura Ace pattern brake shoes." - PBK

flinty-eyed moderator
    Cassettes that start with 12 are awful, and you hate freedom and puppies if you think they make any sense.
    #11 tooth 4evah!
    Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by demonrider View Post
    Good, this means 10 speed Ultegra Di2 will go for much less now.
    Don't bet on it.

Dura Ace 7800 components are actually going up on Fleabay recently.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I will be very interested in the Ultegra 6800 11-spd.
    This new group will put a lot of pressure on Sram and Campy for sure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast