RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013

Ultegra brakes vs Oval 500 brakes? I have difficulty stopping with my Oval's

I have a 2012 Fuji Gran Fondo 2.0 and my gf has a 2013 Fuji Supreme 1.3. I rode hers for an unrelated issue and noticed that her brakes stopped on a DIME. Our bikes are almost identical other than brakes and a few other small touches.

I have a Trek Superfly mountain bike with Shimano XT hydraulic brakes and my gf's Ultegra brakes feel almost as powerful. Like grab-on-hard-or-you'll-go-over-the-bars powerful.

Is it worth upgrading or is it maybe the pads? I honestly feel like the lack of braking power I have is unsafe. It is the only gripe I have with the bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Likely the pads.

A lot of brake calipers get the job done. Between my DA7800 and 105 5600 calipers, there's not too much difference. There's still the flex on the arm connected to the pinch bolt of the 7800, and that kept being touted as the benchmark even when 7900 came around.

My recommendation would be Kool Stop - two sets: black for dry, salmon for wet. Why not just one (being salmon)? I much prefer the positive feel of the harder black ones when conditions permit. Also tried the dual-compound version which has both split on each pad. It's...ok. SwissStop black is also awesome on the dry but pricey.

Another mention is the Shimano R55C4, newest pad that comes with the DA 9000 brakes. Seems like they made it softer as their previous pads sucked as all-rounders. I kinda don't like it in the dry, but it does seem like they're more effective without needing as much lever pressure as previous generations.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventruck View Post
    Likely the pads.

A lot of brake calipers get the job done. Between my DA7800 and 105 5600 calipers, there's not too much difference. There's still the flex on the arm connected to the pinch bolt of the 7800, and that kept being touted as the benchmark even when 7900 came around.

My recommendation would be Kool Stop - two sets: black for dry, salmon for wet. Why not just one (being salmon)? I much prefer the positive feel of the harder black ones when conditions permit. Also tried the dual-compound version which has both split on each pad. It's...ok. SwissStop black is also awesome on the dry but pricey.

Another mention is the Shimano R55C4, newest pad that comes with the DA 9000 brakes. Seems like they made it softer as their previous pads sucked as all-rounders. I kinda don't like it in the dry, but it does seem like they're more effective without needing as much lever pressure as previous generations.
    Totally loving this forum, always helpful and informative! Thanks!

I wonder if the Oval brakes just come with crummy pads and I can get the same pads as the Ultegra brakes on my gf's bikes... or better yet I'll swap pads with her first and see if that helps.