RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008

Ultegra cassette kinda loose on Mavic Shimano Freehub?

I picked up a set of Mavic Cosmic Elites off eBay. They came with a campy freehub which I think is why the auction went so low. Anyway, I ordered a new Mavic Shimano 9/10spd Freehub and swapped it.
    I put my Ultegra 10sp 12-25 cassette on, exactly as it was on the former Ultegra hub. On the Mavic freehub, with the lock ring very tight there is a minor amount of play, forward back (ie clockwise/counter-clockwise) on the cogs. I put the cassette back on the Ultegra hub and I don't get this.
    There is a small washer/spacer that goes on first before the first cogs of the cassette. It almost seems as if I need 2 of these on the Mavic freehub vs only 1 on the Shimano Ultegra freehub.

Anyone have any ideas here? I'm thinking it's probably not a good idea to run this way.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

two spacers...

There are two spacers required. Mavic supplies a spacer that I believe is 2mm thick and you need the Shimano spacer for 10 speed cassette.

The reason is that the Mavic M10 cassette body has extra length so Mavic cogs with Campy spacing can be installed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Uh...where do I get the Mavic spacer?

It didn't come with my freehub.

I ordered Mavic Part #M40592. It came with the freehub and the washer/spacer that goes on before the freehub.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    The Mavic spacer IIRC is 1.8mm nominal thickness; Sturmey Archer spacers (and clones) are ~1.6mm thick (1/16") and work fine. I suspect Wheels Manufacturing also offer something that would work. The Shimano spacer is 1mm thick and comes with 10 speed cassettes; it is not needed for <10 speeds.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have the same problem after switching the ED10 Campy compatible freehub with a M10 Shimano compatible, the Shimano spacer is not enough. I used the same washer that was between the freehub and the inside mechanism. Dose anyone know if the thickness of the washer is the same on both freehub types?
    Thaks!