RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009

Ultegra Di-2 question.

Quick question does the Shimano Ultegra Di-2 comes Bluetooth?
    I just got a Émonda sl7 2018 and can't pair it whit my phone.
    Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Does it have the transmitter unit on the bike?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    Not that I can see. Everything is internal.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    If you have to ask, usually retail bikes do not include it.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    i just got a confirmation from my bike shop. it needs a we-wu111

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jrizo1 View Post
    i just got a confirmation from my bike shop. it needs a we-wu111
    Get the unit and a short E-Tube cable as well. Wrap the unit in some foam (so it doesn’t make noise if it bangs around) plug to the seatpost battery and let the other cable and unit just dangle in the seat tube.

And as warning, if connecting via BT and one of the apps, DO NOT DO AN UPGRADE of components. If you attempt to upgrade the BT unit via BT, it frequently crashes. Do the BT unit upgrade via a cable connected laptop using the Shimano E-Tube software. The crash is major and is to be avoided.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
    Get the unit and a short E-Tube cable as well. Wrap the unit in some foam (so it doesn’t make noise if it bangs around) plug to the seatpost battery and let the other cable and unit just dangle in the seat tube.

And as warning, if connecting via BT and one of the apps, DO NOT DO AN UPGRADE of components. If you attempt to upgrade the BT unit via BT, it frequently crashes. Do the BT unit upgrade via a cable connected laptop using the Shimano E-Tube software. The crash is major and is to be avoided.
    Newbie Di2 user here with a stupid question....If everything is working the way I like it, is there any reason to upgrade the firmware at all? In the future I do plan on getting the WU111 unit also so I can have battery info on my garmin and I suspect I'll have to do it then.
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider View Post
    Newbie Di2 user here with a stupid question....If everything is working the way I like it, is there any reason to upgrade the firmware at all? In the future I do plan on getting the WU111 unit also so I can have battery info on my garmin and I suspect I'll have to do it then.
    No. In fact there's more reason not to. As with any electronic/software device... new firmware sometimes screws things up. Or removes features. Google "di2 bricked" and you'll get lots of horror stories.

If you do think you'll do it in the future, probably want to do it while still under warranty just to be safe.

I've got 2 di2 bikes that are a few years old. Never updated them.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    Ok so I got a We-Wu111 install it and connect it. I was able to pair it with my iPhone everything was going well until it star updating We-wu111 automatically. Few seconds later it show an error with the update. Now nothing works
    What should I do now.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Ok so I got a We-Wu111 install it and connect it. I was able to pair it with my iPhone everything was going well until it star updating We-wu111 automatically. Few seconds later it show an error with the update. Now nothing works
    What should I do now.
    There are unfortunately a number of posts here about why not to do this.

What it sounds like has happened is the iPhone connected, then an automatic update of the Di2 wifi unit started. Now it's stuck with the Di2 wifi unit unable to finish the update as the BT connection was lost. Endless loop.

I would attempt a cable connection with a laptop that has the E-Tube software, using the charging cable and see if you can re-start the WU111 update. If not you end up either taking to a LBS that has the Shimano SM-PCE1 cable and can re-install firmware, or you can buy that for about $150.

Lesson is NEVER do updates with BT !.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    I would suggest updating with the SM-BCR2 charger directly connected to a laptop with the ETUBE software.

It will update everything except the wireless unit, which I believe HAS to be upgraded using the IPAD/IPhone. Just do the wireless part last.

If your computer doesn't recognize all of your components, try disconnecting everything completely for a few minutes, then plug the battery in directly to your A-Junction and update those to by themselves. Then reconnect everything and update. At least this is what worked for me...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Finx View Post
    I would suggest updating with the SM-BCR2 charger directly connected to a laptop with the ETUBE software.

It will update everything except the wireless unit, which I believe HAS to be upgraded using the IPAD/IPhone. Just do the wireless part last.

If your computer doesn't recognize all of your components, try disconnecting everything completely for a few minutes, then plug the battery in directly to your A-Junction and update those to by themselves. Then reconnect everything and update. At least this is what worked for me...
    will this work with a Mac? i do not have a windows computer
    thanks
    Last edited by jrizo1; 04-10-2018 at 02:03 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    will this work with a Mac? i do not have a windows computer
    thanks
    No Mac. Windows only for ETube.

You might want to take a look at this site. There is some info here about the issues you experienced.

http://e-tubeproject.shimano.com/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    No Mac. Windows only for ETube.

You might want to take a look at this site. There is some info here about the issues you experienced.

http://e-tubeproject.shimano.com/
    That is exactly what happen when mine was updated the problem
    Now is that it does not respond it all. No lights on the junction box either.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    That is exactly what happen when mine was updated the problem
    Now is that it does not respond it all. No lights on the junction box either.
    Unplug the battery. Let it sit. Okug it back in. The BCR2 should talk to it on PC

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by upstateSC-rider View Post
    DI2 battery levels are ridiculously easy to check. Press and hold one of the shift buttons that won't elicit a shift (ie press the down shift button for the FD when already in the small chainring) and check what the lights on the A junction tell you. You either get solid or flashing green or red lights. Green lights are good - red means the battery is getting low. Solid green means 75-100%, flashing green 50-75%, flashing red 25-50% and solid red means 0-25% charge.

The battery lasts a long time. Charging once a month would be very conservative. I usually have to charge every two to three months after 5-8 hrs of road use per bike per week.

I have heard of so many issues with the BT capability in DI2 that it seems like a completely unnecessary hassle if you only want it to check battery levels on your Garmin. I have always found it best to have a hard wire connection to the system to do any firmware updates or component diagnostics.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdaghisallo1 View Post
    DI2 battery levels are ridiculously easy to check. Press and hold one of the shift buttons that won't elicit a shift (ie press the down shift button for the FD when already in the small chainring) and check what the lights on the A junction tell you. You either get solid or flashing green or red lights. Green lights are good - red means the battery is getting low. Solid green means 75-100%, flashing green 50-75%, flashing red 25-50% and solid red means 0-25% charge.
    You have your red indicators backwards.
    http://si.shimano.com/pdfs/um/UM-71J0A-001-00-ENG.pdf
    100% remaining: Illuminates green (for 2 seconds)
    50% remaining: Flashes green (5 times)
    25% remaining: Illuminates red (for 2 seconds)
    0% remaining: Flashes red (5 times)

Yes it's easy to check the battery, but doesn't hurt to have an extra reminder on your garmin.

What I find more useful though is if you're using syncro shift, your Garmin will beep and warn "Chainring shift next".

The battery lasts a long time. Charging once a month would be very conservative. I usually have to charge every two to three months after 5-8 hrs of road use per bike per week.
    I'm still amazed at how much life out of such a small battery. I get about 1,000mi between charges and typically charge when it gets to red. I've never let it go to blinking red.
    Also this bike is mostly my winter bike. During the summer, it may go a few months without being ridden. I haven't noticed any drop in battery life by sitting for several months.

Di2 (red) 1,088.4 mi
    Di2 (blinking green) 692.9 mi
    Di2 ?? 754.4 mi
    Di2 (red) 1,132.4mi
    Di2 (red) 883.6mi
    Di2 (red) 1,027.0mi
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009

this did the trick
    thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    this did the trick
    thanks
    Good news.
    In reference to the Assault on Mt Mitchell...
    Quote Originally Posted by merckx56
    The easier solution is to find a biker bar in Spartanburg the night before, go in and pick a fight. The ass-whipping you'll get will be far less painful than the one Mitchell will give you the next day!