RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006

Ultegra Sl Today Or Next Gen Chorus In Fall

I have always wanted a campy bike. Never owned one before.

Looking for some advise;

I am building up a Indyfab club racer with fenders and rear rack/panniers. I plan on using a compact crank and a 12/27 cassette. I can go with the current Ultegra sl, or wait for Campy Chorus 11.

Bike will be used for commuting and medium touring. Campy would be a little more expensive.

Is the next generation campy worth waiting for or should I go with todays Technology - Ultegra sl. Am I crazy for wanting a campy equipped tourer?

What due you guys think?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Campy Record now at Ultegra prices... see competitive cyclist, i just bought a full campy record group from them and it was less than new ultegra. the one thing you MUST check is whether you like campy brifters; also the new campy brifters will be bigger and have closer reach. if you havent tried SRAM you might want to try it, really comfortable brifters, bigger and more comfy than either campy or shimano.

Fast No More.
    Don't you need long-reach brake calipers with the Club Racer? No Campy option there. Not that there's anything wrong with using Shimano calipers with an otherwise Campy set-up.

If you're touring and bust something, chances are better that any LBS you stumble upon will have Shimano parts in stock. You're rolling the dice looking for Campy spares in most towns. Especially 11-speed.
    Work to Eat | Eat to Live | Live to Ride | Ride to Work

ironmandreamer
    Jul 2008
    Why Campag 11? Why not take advantage of the bargains on 2008 Campag?

As for comparing Chorus to Ultegra SL; it's like comparing a Mercedes to a Hyundai!

FYI the finish on the Ultegra is sh_t. It marks and just doesn't wear anywhere near as well as you'd want. I'd choose the standard Ultegra that's a few grams heavier of those two.

I run 2006 Campag Centaur on a Merckx thats done I don't know 20 000km++ and the group looks better than the Ultegra SL on my Felt that's honestly only done a few hundred K's.
    Last edited by ironmandreamer; 07-27-2008 at 05:35 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2007
    Whether it is 2008 or 2009, there is no question! Campy Chorus is far better than Ultegra and IMO DA. And, Record is even better still.

Ray

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006

brake calipers

I am using a high quality tekro long reach brake for the club racer

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

Campy 10....

This is one case where Campy 11 does not make sense - for commuting and touring. Use Campy 10. If you like the shape and function of the current shift levers, I'd get Campy 10 now, since the prices are already getting cheaper on the 2008 parts. You'll have to wait for Centaur 10 if you want the new lever shape and function.

10 speed chains will also be a lot easier to deal with, since any brand will work and there are several options for master links. With 11 speed, there will be no quick link for joining the chain and no brand options.

About the only downside is that you can't get a 12-27 with 10 speed. I personally find a 50/12 top gear inadequate, but for touring and commuting it would be OK. You could also go all the way to a 13-29 with a medium cage RD.
    Last edited by C-40; 07-28-2008 at 07:52 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2007
    I would recommend a 53/39 in the front and a 12-25 in the rear. That should work just fine for all types of riding.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ironmandreamer
    Why Campag 11? Why not take advantage of the bargains on 2008 Campag?

As for comparing Chorus to Ultegra SL; it's like comparing a Mercedes to a Hyundai!

FYI the finish on the Ultegra is sh_t. It marks and just doesn't wear anywhere near as well as you'd want. I'd choose the standard Ultegra that's a few grams heavier of those two.

I run 2006 Campag Centaur on a Merckx thats done I don't know 20 000km++ and the group looks better than the Ultegra SL on my Felt that's honestly only done a few hundred K's.
    Huh?

Perhaps your Ultegra isn't adjusted right. Mine and everyone that I've ridden shifts like a dream.