RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013

Upgrades to 1986 Trek 300 Elance

Hi All,

I got this bike for free from a yard sale. It is a Trek 300 with a 6 or 7 speed cassette and a compact crank. Friction/non indexed shifters on the tube.
    Upgrades to 1986 Trek 300 Elance-2013-05-18-186.jpg

It definitely needs new components. I have take-off wheels from my Felt Z4 that I can throw on. I already threw the front wheels on and I can line up the brake pads just fine. For the rear: I'm not worried about the 126/130 mm spacing with the steel frame. My Z4 rear wheel has a 10 speed Shimano 12-30t cassette that I'm going to bring over, as well.

Will I need a new crank? Does anyone know what cranks would fit?

I am very mechanically inclined but my knowledge of bike components isn't extensive. I want this to be a relatively low cost build.

Can I throw any rear/front derailleur on the bike and still use friction shifters? Nashbar has a cheap one... Nashbar Front Road Bike Derailleur Clamp On - Road Bike - Front Derailleurs
    and maybe a Shimano 105 rear derailleur

Thanks for your insight.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by engineer1 View Post
    Hi All,

I got this bike for free from a yard sale. It is a Trek 300 with a 6 or 7 speed cassette and a compact crank. Friction/non indexed shifters on the tube.

It definitely needs new components. I have take-off wheels from my Felt Z4 that I can throw on. I already threw the front wheels on and I can line up the brake pads just fine. For the rear: I'm not worried about the 126/130 mm spacing with the steel frame. My Z4 rear wheel has a 10 speed Shimano 12-30t cassette that I'm going to bring over, as well.

Will I need a new crank? Does anyone know what cranks would fit?

I am very mechanically inclined but my knowledge of bike components isn't extensive. I want this to be a relatively low cost build.

Can I throw any rear/front derailleur on the bike and still use friction shifters? Nashbar has a cheap one... and maybe a Shimano 105 rear derailleur

Thanks for your insight.
    Actually, if the bike works you should just ride it. It is NOT the kind of bike that is worth spending money on except to fix what is broken. Your plans to upgrade components can be a black hole for money where one kludge is required to fix the previous kludge. My insight is: don't do it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    It actually isn't ride-able. It needs a chain, cassette, wheels (which I have), cables, and most likely derailleurs. It was left outside so things seized. I was hoping to get it going for $200 (not including the wheels and cassette)

RoadBikeReview Member
    What's wrong with the wheels? Unless they've had some unusual damage, you can overhaul the hubs and they should work. The rims look okay in that picture.

Your 10-speed wheels are not going to be a good match. Friction shifters and 10-speed spacing will be very finicky. I'd try to rehabilitate the existing wheels if at all possible.

Have you tried to clean and lube the derailleurs? I suspect they're salvageable. If not, cny cheap ones will work with the friction shifters. Obviously you need a chain, but that's no big deal. Crank is probably fine, and the bb can be overhauled.

It doesn't have a cassette; it has a freewheel. You can get a new one for under $30.
    Ubuntu: I am what I am because of who we all are.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Thank you for your insight. I'm going to pick up the freewheel and chain. What is "cny." Microsoft makes some cheap derailleurs. Which cables would you pick up?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by engineer1 View Post
    Thank you for your insight. I'm going to pick up the freewheel and chain. What is "cny." Microsoft makes some cheap derailleurs. Which cables would you pick up?
    "cny" is my typo for "any" ;-) sorry about that.

It's microshift, not microsoft. Nashbar house brand. Probably quite adequate, IF you really need to replace yours.

Cables is cables. Brake and derailleur are different, but the generic or house-brand ones will work fine.

One more point: you need a special tool to remove the freewheel, and it can be difficult with an old one that's been stuck a long time. It might be best to pay somebody at the local bike shop 5 or 10 bucks to do that.

Here's some reference material that you might find helpful:
    Harris Cyclery-West Newton, Massachusetts Bicycle Shop
    Last edited by JCavilia; 05-22-2013 at 10:29 AM.
    Ubuntu: I am what I am because of who we all are.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    haha I can't believe I wrote Microsoft. Thanks again.

RoadBikeReview Member
    What makes you think you need a new crank? All you should need is maybe new chain rings and that's if their worn. I wouldn't put any money into it until something breaks. You did the single best thing you could do when you replace the rims, outside of that you will be nickled and dimed to death and nor realize any benefit.