RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013

Upgrading Giant rapid 3 - forks

I got a giant rapid3 cheap from a buddy. I have added a new aluminum seatpost and selle smp seat. Drop bars, Sora shifters, Clipless Wellgo pedals, Ibera PakRak. And Nashbar panniers.

Obviously it's my commuter. I ride 9.2 miles each way to and from work. I carry spare tube, tools, patch kit, tire lever, u lock, steel cable lock and various other commuter essentials.

I want to upgrade the chromoly forks. But the rapid has a 1.25 Tapered headtube. And those forks are expensive. And hard to find.

Can I remove the forks and use a headtube spacer? I would need a new bottom headset or would I need both top and bottom?

The giant connect system on the fork and stem seems to use a spacer over the fork and the spacer lines up with the stem. I was wondering if the for is actually a 1" and the spacer makes it a 1 1/8? If that's the case I would need a new 1 1/8 top and bottom headset to use a full carbon 1 1/8 threadless fork right?

I plan on upgrading the heavy chromoly stem as well. The bars are aluminum. They're fine until I can afford carbon bars.

Thanks for any answers.
    2010 Giant Rapid 3

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudz View Post
    I got a giant rapid3 cheap from a buddy. I have added a new aluminum seatpost and selle smp seat. Drop bars, Sora shifters, Clipless Wellgo pedals, Ibera PakRak. And Nashbar panniers.

Obviously it's my commuter. I ride 9.2 miles each way to and from work. I carry spare tube, tools, patch kit, tire lever, u lock, steel cable lock and various other commuter essentials.

I want to upgrade the chromoly forks. But the rapid has a 1.25 Tapered headtube. And those forks are expensive. And hard to find.

Can I remove the forks and use a headtube spacer? I would need a new bottom headset or would I need both top and bottom?

The giant connect system on the fork and stem seems to use a spacer over the fork and the spacer lines up with the stem. I was wondering if the for is actually a 1" and the spacer makes it a 1 1/8? If that's the case I would need a new 1 1/8 top and bottom headset to use a full carbon 1 1/8 threadless fork right?

I plan on upgrading the heavy chromoly stem as well. The bars are aluminum. They're fine until I can afford carbon bars.

Thanks for any answers.
    Are you sure all this money you are pouring into your "giant rapid3 cheap" is giving you a good return? Do you think new forks will somehow improve the performance of the bike? It sounds like maybe you've already spent more on upgrades than you spent on the bike. Projects like this can turn into a black hole for money when the goal is to upgrade rather than the goal is desired performance.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    It gets me to work fast. With everything I need.

Not very many options for a fast commuting bike. I ride it without the rack and bags on the weekend. So until I can afford a madone 3.1 that also has rack and mounts. I'm stuck with this.

The rack, bags, pedals, seat I can transfer to another bike. So it's not all a loss.
    2010 Giant Rapid 3

RoadBikeReview Member
    I too have a Giant Rapid 3 and as much as I'd love to upgrade it to a carbon fork and 10spd road drivetrain and fast wheels, it really is just a workhorse bike and I will limit any changes to replacing worn-out parts.

You said it yourself - "It gets [you] to work fast. With everything [you] need." So what are the upgrades going to accomplish? Ride it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I guess I'll just save my pennies and get a used road bike to ride on the weekends. Keep the rapid as my work mule. I'm still faster than any other commuter I see. Lol.

Doing the math, after I get new forks, Headset ect, I AM going to want better wheels and eventually a better groupset. That alone is the price of a new bike.
    2010 Giant Rapid 3

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2018

Switching from flat bars to drop bars on the Rapid 3 (w/ road bike brakes/shifters)??

Hello-

In your initial post (quoted below), you note you switched to drop bars.

I, similarly, also recently got a Giant 3 cheap from a buddy. I am thinking of switching to a more road-bike setup, kind of like you did. I just want to switch to drop bars, with the accompanying shifter/brake combo that generally comes standard on road bikes now - where the brakes can shift too.

Did you do this when you switched to drop bars, or did you just switch the bars out (apologies if your message detailed it - I'm new to conversions and upgrades so I couldn't tell from your initial post)? Was it hard to make that switch? Did you have to switch out a bunch of other stuff to make it like a road bike - like the derailleur(s), chair ring(s), cables, etc. etc.??

Thanks so much!!
    -Nate

Quote Originally Posted by Rudz View Post

Thanks for any answers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainOwl View Post
    Hello-

In your initial post (quoted below), you note you switched to drop bars.

I, similarly, also recently got a Giant 3 cheap from a buddy. I am thinking of switching to a more road-bike setup, kind of like you did. I just want to switch to drop bars, with the accompanying shifter/brake combo that generally comes standard on road bikes now - where the brakes can shift too.

Did you do this when you switched to drop bars, or did you just switch the bars out (apologies if your message detailed it - I'm new to conversions and upgrades so I couldn't tell from your initial post)? Was it hard to make that switch? Did you have to switch out a bunch of other stuff to make it like a road bike - like the derailleur(s), chair ring(s), cables, etc. etc.??

Thanks so much!!
    -Nate
    Sadly, I don't think Rudz is around here. According to his profile his last activity date was Nov 2013.