RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010

Used frame with internal cable routing - is this missing stuff?

I picked up a used frame (2012 Wilier Cento 1) and built it last weekend. Love the ride, but it has some internally routed cables and I'm not sure I have them installed properly.

1) Rear brake - There are two "sockets" cast into the carbon top tube. Each is a good bit larger than the brake cable housing - maybe sized for a metal ferrule on each end(?). The campy cable set only has ferrules for the shift cables. Am I right about the missing ferrule?

2) Also there was a plastic tube with each internal run. It was not attached at either end - is that all there is, just a plastic tube that floats inside to keep the bare cable off of the inside of the frame?

I can provide pics if necessary.

Thanks,

David

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yes, the ferrule is missing because it is not needed

Yes
    We just don’t realize the most significant moments of our lives when they’re happening
    Back then I thought “well there'll be other days”
    I didn’t realize that was the only day
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9yrupye7B0

There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?
    One.
    So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    I just Googled for a Cento. Probably doesn't need ferrules from the looks of it.
    I ride a Cervelo R3 2015 internal cable routing and can confirm my cables run bare through the frame with no housing ,and fit into the plastic cable stops where they enter the frame.
    You should definitley have those installed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apologies for my previous answer. I too googled for images and got a confusing mix. Looks like the detailing changed almost every year.

So a nice close-up picture of the area where the brake housing exits the frame would be good.

The top tube on those is slightly curvy but not so extreme that continuous housing is needed like some frames. There's nothing wrong with running continuous housing. There's a slightly spongy feeling and a small weight penalty. And presumably that's what you are doing now.

Campagnolo does not normally use ferrules on it's brake housing, you'd have to source them separately. If the frame was intended to have a housing stop you'd see a hole there for the attaching screw also. I see there was a revision for 2013, where there is a housing stop at the frame and ferrules were used on Campy cable. Not sure about 2012 though.
    We just don’t realize the most significant moments of our lives when they’re happening
    Back then I thought “well there'll be other days”
    I didn’t realize that was the only day
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9yrupye7B0

There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?
    One.
    So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    In any case, I picked up a couple of generic brake cable housing ferrules and wrapped them with a half-wide strip of electrical tape to get it to fit snugly. I added at least a mm of thickness all around.

I also installed plastic liner because I didn't want to worry about rubbing. The liner went into the chainstay run to the RD too because it would rattle on rough road.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by dgeesaman View Post
    In any case, I picked up a couple of generic brake cable housing ferrules and wrapped them with a half-wide strip of electrical tape to get it to fit snugly. I added at least a mm of thickness all around.

I also installed plastic liner because I didn't want to worry about rubbing. The liner went into the chainstay run to the RD too because it would rattle on rough road.
    Are you saying that the normal brake ferrules are small than the hole in the frame and you made them bigger with tape? As in they'd slide through the hole in the frame w/o the tape? If this is the case you're going to end up w/ no rear brake quite soon. Photos (good close up photos, not what is normally posted around here) would really help.
    Campy doesn't provide brake housing ferrules but they are needed on almost every frame. Their brake housing is the standard 5.0mm so every shop will have ferrules for it, but their shift housing is 4.1mm and they provide the proper ferrules for that because it is not the standard 4.0mm.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    Are you saying that the normal brake ferrules are small than the hole in the frame and you made them bigger with tape? As in they'd slide through the hole in the frame w/o the tape? If this is the case you're going to end up w/ no rear brake quite soon.
    Thankfully, no. The hole in the frame socket is sized so that it shoulders the cable housing quite well. It's just that the socket was still larger than the ferrule plus cable housing and the tape wrap keeps it centered and seals it up to keep dirt out.

Certainly if there was any chance of pulling thru I would have gone a much different route.