RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005

Using 5600/105 10s Brifters with a Mid cage MTB rear mech, Compatable/Possible

Hi All,
    I want to Set up my 5600 105 bike in the same way us can get a WlFil SRAM Apex set up, eg 50/34 up front with up to a 11-32 out back. I have issues getting up steep grades, as long as I can keep spinning I am OK, but I get really choppy when it get really steep. On my commute I have a really nasty climb not all that long, but it has 2 steps and half way up the second i blow, and if i try and push through the legs go an I'm in trouble to the next 5 to 7 kms till i get to work, especially as to all that far latter I have a second climb not as steep but around the same length.

Now before everyone says, get Apex, $$$ wont allow that to happen in the short term. So my thought is to get a Deore/SLX/XT 10 speed rear mech and use that with what i already have in the short term similar to what we see David Millar is using in the below link:

David Millarís XX equipped Cervelo S3 Giro 2011 | theroaddiaries

I would grateful for any responses and love to hear from anyone that may already be playing with something like this set-up.

or

http://www.shimano.com/publish/conte...-.rd_road.html

This is the Mid cage 105 mech, This according to the specs. will work with a compact and up to a 32 cass

So the option is this or a RD-M675-SGS

http://www.shimano.com/publish/conte..._mountain.html

or

http://www.shimano.com.au/publish/co...S.-type-..html

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    need 9-speed Shimano MTB rear derailleur
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite upgraded with 32T cassette and does not have Stan's (yet)
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded with 36T cassette and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless. Considering a 1x10 upgrade
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra upgraded to 32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    2008/2009 Burton T6 156cm with Burton Triad Bindings & DC Judge boots

'brifter' is a lame word.
    this has been covered many times. as ted posted you have to use a 9spd mtb derailleur. the new 10spd dyna-sys derailleurs don't work w/ 10spd road shifters. any 9spd shimano mtb derailleur will work.
    i work for some bike racers...
    2013 Trek Madone 5.9 w/ '12 SRAM Red
    2010 Cervelo T1 sprint bike
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9
    oh, those belong in another forum

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    Supposedly, according to Shimano... 5700A RD with its 30T max cassette cog... can be adjusted to work with 32T cassette
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite upgraded with 32T cassette and does not have Stan's (yet)
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded with 36T cassette and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless. Considering a 1x10 upgrade
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra upgraded to 32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless

'brifter' is a lame word.
    that will probably work on a lot of bikes, but it will be dependent on the length of the derailleur hanger. shorter hangers won't work, longer ones will, making it a trial-and-error kinda thing. that said, shimano tends to be quite 'careful' w/ the spec, you can usually get away w/ one step further than they say.
    i work for some bike racers...
    2013 Trek Madone 5.9 w/ '12 SRAM Red
    2010 Cervelo T1 sprint bike
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9
    oh, those belong in another forum

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    that will probably work on a lot of bikes, but it will be dependent on the length of the derailleur hanger. shorter hangers won't work, longer ones will, making it a trial-and-error kinda thing. that said, shimano tends to be quite 'careful' w/ the spec, you can usually get away w/ one step further than they say.
    Should definitely work better than the 28T RD's made for triple cranks....

Does seem to be cheaper than my M772 Shadow....

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2005

FYI: Going for 105 5700gs rear mech

FYI: Going for 105 5700gs rear mech, as i have listed on the link above.

I have made a few more today and this will allow me to run the 50/34 up front with up to a 11/32 out back.

For those who responded thank you for all your assistance, and apologies as i was wthinkin that this question may have already bee ncovered somewhere but i didnt find anything wit the search i did.

Anyway thanks again fellow forum users.