RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012

V-brakes with road bike wheels?

Can I move my Shimano RS20 wheels with 23mm tires from my road bike to my hybrid bike with V-brakes? Or will the rims be too narrow for the brake to work?

Other considerations?

RoadBikeReview Member
    if your hybrid had 700c wheels to start there's no problem. Just adjust the brakes accordingly. I did something similar before. Really liked the Avid SD7 caliper (to 1.9SL levers) setup.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks. If V-brakes work with rims with 23mm tires why is it that road bikes don't use V-brakes? Can't road bike brake levers be made to work with V-brakes?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nolight View Post
    Thanks. If V-brakes work with rims with 23mm tires why is it that road bikes don't use V-brakes? Can't road bike brake levers be made to work with V-brakes?
    Road bike levers have different cable pull, and won't normally work with v-brakes; however, there are cam devices that can be added to make them work.

Road bikes don't normally have v-brakes because they don't need the extra clearance that mountain bikes with large tires and muddy conditions need. Compared to normal road calipers, they provide no advantage, and they have some disadvantages (longer arms mean a little more flex, and they're a tiny bit less aerodynamic).

You seem a little confused, with your repeated references to the 23mm tires. The size of the tire has no direct influence on the operation of the brake. The brake pads contact the rim. Rim widths vary, but all brakes (road calipers, v-brakes, canitlevers) can be adjusted to a wide range of widths. Road bike rims vary considerably, and wider rims for road bikes are becoming much more popular of late.

RoadBikeReview Member
    If you wanted you can swap those 23 mm tires for a set of almost anything up to about 42 mm on the hybrid and the brakes will work fine.

If you like the evolution of mtn brakes is kinda coaster, cantilever, u brake, v brake, and now disk. For many bikes v brakes were a huge step up in power, control and adjustability. Road brakes have kinda gone from single pivot to double pivot (that's the last fourty or so years) but a well set up road brake stops you as we'll as any v brake on the road, it's off road or cyclocross where v brakes shine over road

RoadBikeReview Member
    You may want to double check the rear dropout spacing on the hybrid. Some hybrids use mtb hubs even with 700c wheels (Trek FX series for example).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    You seem a little confused, with your repeated references to the 23mm tires. The size of the tire has no direct influence on the operation of the brake. The brake pads contact the rim. Rim widths vary, but all brakes (road calipers, v-brakes, canitlevers) can be adjusted to a wide range of widths. Road bike rims vary considerably, and wider rims for road bikes are becoming much more popular of late.
    I use rims with 23mm tires to refer to the thinner rims since I don't know what are the actual diameter of these rims.

So V-brakes can work with a variety of rim widths, but caliper brakes can only work for thinner rims?

Man, I'm Awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by nolight View Post
    I use rims with 23mm tires to refer to the thinner rims since I don't know what are the actual diameter of these rims.

So V-brakes can work with a variety of rim widths, but caliper brakes can only work for thinner rims?
    No. It depends on the brake. Caliper brakes can work on just about any size rim if adjusted properly. The issue would be the size of tire you want to use. Is you have really wide tires you may need the clearance the v-brake or cantilever provides.

There are calipers that can take up to 45mm tires now though.
    "I like to ride my bicycle." - Lance Armstrong -