Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Veloche cassette won't engage

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Joop Zoetemelk 
#1 ·
I just enstalled a new 12 x 25 10 spd Campy Veloche cassette on my Mavic Cosmos wheel. While fiddling with the derailleur adjustment on my workstand, I noticed that although I was turning the pedals clockwise, the rear wheel was not engaged (the cassette would spin freely in both directions). When I would remove the wheel and check it, the cassette was OK again. Many years ago, a similar problem occurred when I would ride in the cold and the little ratchet thingies would get stuck up in the grease (that was a long time ago - might have even been a freewheel). However, it was 80 F when this happened recently. A 12 x 23 10 spd Veloche cassette I was using before worked fine. I did notice that is was more difficult (tighter fit) to get the wheel into the rear dropouts with the new cassette. The lockring is on nice and tight. Any ideas what might be going on?

Thanks

#2 ·
sounds like a freehub problem,
you mention grease in the "little rachet thingies". grease on the pawls of a mavic hub is a big no-no. grease is too sticky and the pawls which only have a small spring to engage with, cannot function properly.
A strip down of the freehub will be needed and a clean an inspection of the working parts is in order, this is easily done at home if your hub is an FTSL version.
also pay careful attention to the urethane (white plastic) seal in the back side of the freehub body, last time I looked this was non-replaceable and required the freehub body to be replaced.
detailed instructions for the strip down / assembly and what to look for are on www.mavic.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.