RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2003

Velocity Aerohead OC vs Ritchey Aero OCR???

Looking at off-centre rear rims for a set of crit/race wheels I plan on building up - anyone have a view on the Aerohead OC vs Ritchey OCR with regard to quality, strength, finish etc? Do they have the same degree of offset? Build will be 32spoke, 3X rear, 2X or 3X front, probably DT competitions on King or AC hubs (I have both on the shelf waiting for something to be done to them).
    Who the hell are these children...and why are they calling me "Dad"?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Can't compare

I've not held a Ritchey in my hands or closely inspected a wheel with one or have any durability data. However, I've got 3500 miles on a Velocity Aerohead OC that I built (Chorus 32, 15/16, 3X). The wheel went together really well, and I haven't had to touch it since I built it. I doubt the OCR could have more offset than the OC. The finish, etc. on the Velocity is fine. I can't see where the Ritchey could be better - could be just as good though, I don't know.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons
    I've not held a Ritchey in my hands or closely inspected a wheel with one or have any durability data. However, I've got 3500 miles on a Velocity Aerohead OC that I built (Chorus 32, 15/16, 3X). The wheel went together really well, and I haven't had to touch it since I built it. I doubt the OCR could have more offset than the OC. The finish, etc. on the Velocity is fine. I can't see where the Ritchey could be better - could be just as good though, I don't know.
    Thanks Kerry - how did you adjust your spoke length calc for the offset?
    Who the hell are these children...and why are they calling me "Dad"?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

No recalculation

I used the same spoke length for left/right and front/rear. 294 mm The offeset tends to equalize spoke length, since the DS spokes go farther and the NDS go shorter. As an aside, I've built dozens of wheels using conventional rims with the same length of spoke on both sides. I've never found the 2 mm difference that many suggest to be needed or useful. If you use the average between these two suggested lengths, there are no problems whatsoever.