MING
    Mar 2004

vuma quad bolt snap

hey all.

i recently installed a zipp vuma quad crank on my bike. i followed all the instructions and used a torque wrench to install (40 NM)

on todays spin around I got some play in the crank, pulled over and the drive side came off the bike in my hand! the head on the bolt has snapped. urg, it is fun to ride the bus home in a kit while holding parts in your hands. I know its a super light weight crank and this is a risk that happens with weight weenie tech. im more interested in getting it fixed now.

here are my questions.

how common is this bolt? Zipp uses a bb30 standard and the bolts i have from various fsa bbs are too small. will a bike shop, say shop that carries cannondales or specialized, who also use bb30s, have bolt or is the bolt specific to the vuma quad and i have to get it it from Zipp or the lbs where i picked up the crank, which is closed this weekend for the 4th.

i leave for my big event of the summer (death ride) on thursday and while i have other cranks this is my only compact crank, and 15,000 feet of climbing on a standard is more than my legs can handle.

thanks for your imput
    Last edited by kreger; 07-05-2009 at 12:14 AM.
    Fight Like Susan!

MING
    Mar 2004
    turns out the bolt is a bb30 crank fixing bolt and no bike shop in seattle stock it. not even the shop i got the crank at has it in stock, some will special order it. but it was going to take a week. i dont have a week.

the guys at zipp are cool, a PERSON picked up the phone on the second ring. theyre being cool with sending me a part, im paying for the next day air up charge. ill have a shop torque the bolt when the new one comes to the lower end of the torque range listed.
    Fight Like Susan!

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have a set of Vuma Quads but 40 mn for the fixing bolt seems high. Its an alloy bolt and I would say more like 40 foot pounds of torque.
    For my next trick I will now set myself on fire!

MING
    Mar 2004
    yeah, the bolt itself had 34-41 nm (25-30 ft lbs) written on it and that corresponded with what was in the instruction book. thisll be the first time ill have a shop tighten something.

what is the weight savings of an alloy bolt over a steel bolt? i know fsa makes a steel bolt for bb30
    Fight Like Susan!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Two bolt strategy

Quote Originally Posted by kreger
    yeah, the bolt itself had 34-41 nm (25-30 ft lbs) written on it and that corresponded with what was in the instruction book. thisll be the first time ill have a shop tighten something.

what is the weight savings of an alloy bolt over a steel bolt? i know fsa makes a steel bolt for bb30
    For many years it has been standard strategy to torque the crank arm on with a steel bolt, and then swap it out for the aluminum (if you somehow think the weight difference is important). Snapped aluminum crank arm bolts are all too common.

MING
    Mar 2004
    yeah. some of my fsa cranks have come with a steel bolt to mount, then an alloy one to hold in place.

an update, zipp overnighted the bolt, but shipped the chain ring set instead of the crank arm bolt. the invoice is correct, the part is wrong =(

anyone know a zipp dealer in the northern california area that has this bolt in stock?

matt
    Fight Like Susan!