RoadBikeReview Member

WAHOO RFLKT is now available.

Wahoo RFLKT ("Reflect") - iPhone Powered Bike Computer by Wahoo Fitness
    I was thinking of ordering one, but I love the k-edge mounting with my Garmin 500 and I don't know if I want to give that up.

I still might try one for $125
    DIRT BOY

"Pain is a big fat creature riding on your back. The farther you pedal, the heavier he feels. The harder you push, the tighter he squeezes your chest. The steeper the climb, the deeper he digs his jagged, sharp claws into your muscles." - Scott Martin

irony intended
    A solution in search of a problem....
    2011 Tarmac Pro SL3 Project Black (gone but not forgotten)
    2012 Parlee Z5 SLi (because I can)
    2014 Colnago C59 AD04 (why not)

Too slow to be smart
    Sep 2012
    I'll take that Garmin 500 off of your hands for the price of that WAHOO thing then. It's a win-win. You get the new toy for free and I stop forgetting to switch my Garmin 405 from bike to run and vice versa all of the time.
    ”Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong” - Unknown

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by carlislegeorge View Post
    A solution in search of a problem....
    Care to explain? Actually simplifies things from my point of view. One less device needed to charge and sync.

irony intended
    It's just a matter of perspective IMHO

Let's see...the iPhone really doesn't mount all that well, and the battery runs down when you use it all the time? So buy one of these TOO, and connect it to the iPhone in your pocket. One less device? I think one MORE device actually. Must carry the phone at all times. Make sure its charged up, too?

Dedicated device like Garmin 800 or 500 does it all good enough for me...I only carry my phone to call the SAG wagon or get my wife to change my flat tires, or drive me up to the top of the really steep hills.....
    2011 Tarmac Pro SL3 Project Black (gone but not forgotten)
    2012 Parlee Z5 SLi (because I can)
    2014 Colnago C59 AD04 (why not)

RoadBikeReview Member
    I just picked up a new edge 500 for $180. I think this idea is promising, but $130 is too much for a 'dumb' head unit.

RoadBikeReview Member

Let's see...the iPhone really doesn't mount all that well, and the battery runs down when you use it all the time? So buy one of these TOO, and connect it to the iPhone in your pocket. One less device? I think one MORE device actually. Must carry the phone at all times. Make sure its charged up, too?

Dedicated device like Garmin 800 or 500 does it all good enough for me...I only carry my phone to call the SAG wagon or get my wife to change my flat tires, or drive me up to the top of the really steep hills.....
    I always carry my phone with me on my rides. Its in a Lifeproof case and its always at full charge when I leave. My iPhone 5 get great battery life and I love using my Digifit App to track workouts. cant use that and the Garmin at the same time, until I get a ANT+/BT Smart strap that works 100%.

So for me, its one less device to upload or track files with. I love my Garmin and have no real issues with it.
    DIRT BOY

"Pain is a big fat creature riding on your back. The farther you pedal, the heavier he feels. The harder you push, the tighter he squeezes your chest. The steeper the climb, the deeper he digs his jagged, sharp claws into your muscles." - Scott Martin

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012

My iPhone 5 is always with me on every ride and everywhere I go. It's secure in my jersey pocket and in a waterproof case. The RFLKT stays on the bike and has a battery that will last well over a year with regular use. The device is just a dumb screen. Hence one less device to sync and charge. Eliminating the Garmin from this process is good for me. I have been on rides of 4-5 hours and my iPhone 5 gets down around 50% battery tracking GPS through the Wahoo app in testing. Considering the iPhone 5 charges very fast it's fully charged by the time I'm done putting m stuff away and showered.

Not only that but I can develop custom apps to use the screen however I see fit with the Wahoo SDK.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    If this unit could transmit via BT to your Iphone the GPS data, then we'd have something.

Not having the GPS on saves battery life.

But then again, the price goes up.
    It's a fire road.............
    I'm on a road bike..........

They have enough in common to blast down it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NWS Alpine View Post
    My iPhone 5 is always with me on every ride and everywhere I go. It's secure in my jersey pocket and in a waterproof case. The RFLKT stays on the bike and has a battery that will last well over a year with regular use. The device is just a dumb screen. Hence one less device to sync and charge. Eliminating the Garmin from this process is good for me. I have been on rides of 4-5 hours and my iPhone 5 gets down around 50% battery tracking GPS through the Wahoo app in testing. Considering the iPhone 5 charges very fast it's fully charged by the time I'm done putting m stuff away and showered.

Not only that but I can develop custom apps to use the screen however I see fit with the Wahoo SDK.
    Agreed. Devs are going to have fun with this.
    DIRT BOY

RoadBikeReview Member
    I ordered one this morning. As with others, I have my phone all the time, anyway. Cyclemeter has said their software will work with RFLKT next month. I'm definitely looking forward to it.
    Kestrel Talon Road, Campy 10, Zonda wheels
    Litespeed Firenze, Campy 10, Joe Young Custom Wheels
    Nashbar Generic single speed, Khamsin wheels

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfguy View Post
    I ordered one this morning. As with others, I have my phone all the time, anyway. Cyclemeter has said their software will work with RFLKT next month. I'm definitely looking forward to it.
    I was looking forward to Cyclemeter but the new Wahoo updated app is really good. Might just stick with it for now.

Re-Cyclist
    Who needs it? Too much stuff, too much unnecessary info. Garmin 500 does everything I need. Mounting my iPhone to my handlebars is the stupidest idea I've ever heard.
    Santa Barbara, CA -- My Photo Site -- My Business Site

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Special Eyes View Post
    Who needs it? Too much stuff, too much unnecessary info. Garmin 500 does everything I need. Mounting my iPhone to my handlebars is the stupidest idea I've ever heard.
    How is this relevant to this thread about the RFLKT?

irony intended
    Maybe he meant to say mounting a device on his handlebars that to work has to be connected to the iPhone in his pocket is the stupidest idea he ever heard. Which would make it a relevant comment, even if just an individual opinion.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2013
    RFLKT needs bluetooth sensors or the ANT+ Dongle. If you add up the head unit, speed/cadence, and HRM, you get close to $280. Obviously if you already have ANT+ sensors the cost may not be material. But for someone looking at the Wahoo solution or Garmin save about $70 for the bundle (you can get 510 bundles for $350 on ebay if you bargain). So that $70 gets you some additional functionality and arguable better GPS reception. Plus you dont have to carry your phone although most do anyway. I'm still on the fence between these two options. Wahoo SDK is promising but it isnt clear how long developers will take to do anything with it. Cyclemeter still isnt done and they had the SDK for a while now.

Wahoo seems pretty good for recreation but more serious folks end up with a Garmin which they probably already have anyway.

Wahoo isnt releasing the head unit that is ANT+ compatible so they can sell their bluetooth accessories first. Capitalism at its finest.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've ridden with this a couple of times now. The Wahoo Bluetooth sensor will connect to both Wahoo Fitness and Cyclemeter until Abvio gets their release out for compatibility with RFLKT. Tech support told me they diverted attention to iCloud features when Wahoo delayed the RFLKT, they expect a version that will work in early March. So for now, Wahoo Fitness feeds the RFLKT display and I can still record my workout on Cyclemeter from the Bluetooth sensor as well. Works really well for us old guys who like bigger numbers on the cycle computer. I like that you can set up your own customized displays and have multiple pages also. Since I always carry my phone this is a win for me. When Cyclemeter gets their new version out I can dispense with Wahoo fitness on my phone.
    Kestrel Talon Road, Campy 10, Zonda wheels
    Litespeed Firenze, Campy 10, Joe Young Custom Wheels
    Nashbar Generic single speed, Khamsin wheels

VKW
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    Maybe he meant to say mounting a device on his handlebars that to work has to be connected to the iPhone in his pocket is the stupidest idea he ever heard. Which would make it a relevant comment, even if just an individual opinion.
    Or he doesn't actually know what a RFLKT really is and just saw "iPhone" and assumed it was an iPhone mounted bike computer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by andyznyc View Post
    Wahoo isnt releasing the head unit that is ANT+ compatible so they can sell their bluetooth accessories first. Capitalism at its finest.
    Because ANT+ is dying and manning companies are going the BT route. Even Garmin added BT functionality. Not for everything, but they see the writing on the wall.
    DIRT BOY

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by andyznyc View Post
    RFLKT needs bluetooth sensors or the ANT+ Dongle. If you add up the head unit, speed/cadence, and HRM, you get close to $280. Obviously if you already have ANT+ sensors the cost may not be material. But for someone looking at the Wahoo solution or Garmin save about $70 for the bundle (you can get 510 bundles for $350 on ebay if you bargain). So that $70 gets you some additional functionality and arguable better GPS reception. Plus you dont have to carry your phone although most do anyway. I'm still on the fence between these two options. Wahoo SDK is promising but it isnt clear how long developers will take to do anything with it. Cyclemeter still isnt done and they had the SDK for a while now.

Wahoo seems pretty good for recreation but more serious folks end up with a Garmin which they probably already have anyway.

I have had some time with the RFLKT now and I would still consider it not ready for prime time yet. There are a lot of software bugs affecting the main functionality. They have a large list of things that will be included in an update. It seems as though the Ant+ version will also have altimeter built in. It's possible they scrapped the plans to originally introduce that as the first gen because of all the development on the software side.