RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004

Weight: Force vs Chorus

Anyone know the weights of an 8 pc Force groupset vs the equivalent Chorus groupset?

...and if yes, what are they?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    What are you trying to find out other than the weights of the 2 groups? They both work very well. Sram wll probably be cheaper (do not know your sources on cost). Sram Force is lighter. Sram makes the lightest group on the market. The Force is around 1950gm (depending on cassette , exterior vs BB30 style and how you set this up - assuming that this is a standard Ergo vs Double Tap set-up). I didn't see a wieght for Campagnolo. It is out there somewhere but Force will be lighter. What significance is there of knowing individual weights? Not worth trying to integrate the two brands,

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    Sorry, I wasn't being very clear. I'm building up another bike. I have 10sp Chorus on my old bike so some argument can be made for staying Campy. But if SRAM is significantly less in weight and costs less I might consider Force. (Shopping around I notice Red costs more than Chorus which is all I want to spend). No intention of mixing components. Just wanted to know the weight of each groupset in total. Assume an 11-25 cassette and exterior BB.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Compettitive Cyclist list Force at 2161 grams and $1258. and Chorus at 2166 grams and $1846. for 8 piece groups.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Weight effects

Quote Originally Posted by TiBike
    Anyone know the weights of an 8 pc Force groupset vs the equivalent Chorus groupset?

You do realize, I hope, that any weight difference between these groups will have an immeasureable effect on your flat road speed, and in climbing, the effect would be a few seconds per hour. Make your choices on other factors like how the levers fit your hands, whether you want to be able to shift several gears at once, etc.

Descender
    Oct 2005
    5 grams weight difference - between the two.

Comes down to price, function and feel.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    Sram's web site list the Force @ 1951 gr.(as I mentioned earlier - depending on what components selected). The weight is not important. Something more important is performance and both groups work very well. Something else that is important is feel - how the Ergo/Double Tap levers feel. Also - I do not like Truativ parts (mostly I dislike the exterior BB of the Sram) so give me a Campagnolo BB anytime. All the other products of Sram I like a lot. So you may look into a Sram set-up with a Shimano or Campagnolo or FSA or Zipp or any other BB that isn't made by Truativ (including Sram).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tlc4bikes
    Sram's web site list the Force @ 1951 gr.(as I mentioned earlier - depending on what components selected). The weight is not important. Something more important is performance and both groups work very well. Something else that is important is feel - how the Ergo/Double Tap levers feel. Also - I do not like Truativ parts (mostly I dislike the exterior BB of the Sram) so give me a Campagnolo BB anytime. All the other products of Sram I like a lot. So you may look into a Sram set-up with a Shimano or Campagnolo or FSA or Zipp or any other BB that isn't made by Truativ (including Sram).

Hmm, interesting thoughts on the BB. And yes all, I know the weight won't matter much at all. I'm ok with either Campy or SRAM hoods. Shimano just doesn't feel that great to me (haven't tried the new Dura Ace though). Really I'm just watching my pennies. If I can get Chorus at a good price from Ribble I may go that route.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2010
    Dear friend, nobody put on the table the product reliability vs weight. Beside I would like to remind all that sram chain is under "recall" ( see cpsc website)..... Personally my feeling is great for Shimano, but my heart is for Campagnolo!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    Go with a KMC 10 speed chain - they work very nice. As for reliability vs weight that formula wasn't in High School math/trig class. What is the formula? As a whole all of th 3 major brands put out quality products. Occasionally bobo's happen but with all the instant worldwide information going on it doen't take long to change the problems. Price , Appearance and Feel is mostly (but not only) the way I usually look for parts. They all work good (with a exceptions of a component or two).

Flash! ah–ahhh!
    Claimed weights bounce around, depending on who's measuring, but the bottom line seems to be....

Force and Chorus are pretty much the same weight (if you give much of a crap about plus/minus 50 grams for an entire gruppo, you prolly need to get out more)... unless you go with the BB30 crank on Force.

Then Force is around 200 grams lighter.

But I have no clue if that weight includes the adapter you may need if your frame wasn't designed for BB30?

BB30 gurus, pls chime in.
    Monkhouse: I want to die like my Dad did, peacefully, in his sleep... not screaming in terror like his passengers.

SystemShock: About Faux News/the Right-Wing Bubble™ – the first thing a cult does is claim that everyone else is lying to you.

Kitty:
    ROMNEY LANDSLIDE! Man its going to be fun in PO after Election Day

Platypius:
    I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Seamus: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    Do not put a BB30 on a bike with threaded bb shell and you wont have to worry about the little extra weight. Besides this thread is about weights on 2 different groups not about what if's. The weight of these groups can be off-set by sooooooo many other things by the time the bike is completed.

I definitely will agree that the weight should not be a factor.

old school drop out
    Quote Originally Posted by tlc4bikes
    I do not like Truativ parts (mostly I dislike the exterior BB of the Sram)
    What specifically do you not like about the SRAM external BB? I've run Race Face and Chris King external BBs on my mountain bikes, and last fall I installed a SRAM Rival BB and crank on my CX bike and can't say that's it was noticeable better or worse than the others I've used. I've only been using it for a few months, but it installed fine and has been problem-free for it's limited use.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    My decision on Sram GXP BB comes from my personal preference to use almost any other BB other than a TruVativ BB. I am a shop owner/mechanic (been working on bikes since 1972) and after working on mostly high end type bikes since the early 80's - when TruVativ came around they where mostly lower lever products (mostly worked well but not what I really wanted to work on). I really like Sram and think Sram offers as good (in some cases better) as Shimano and Campagnolo. There are other names (Forte and others) who may someday even make top level products. Sram has probably had TruVativ produce their bb's from the beginning. I guess since there is a Sram/TruVativ connection is the main reason for my decision. I am also not very fond of exterior bearings as a whole. To the credit of exterior style bb's they are 1/2 the cost of the previous style of BB and exterior BB's do allow me to remove a BB/crank easily- but I do not think they will last as long as a quality triple sealed ISIS BB - like FSA or even a Octalink style BB. So overall a mixed blessing. Maybe BB30's will work better. They are getting more popular.

Rub it............
    Quote Originally Posted by big cat
    Dear friend, nobody put on the table the product reliability vs weight. Beside I would like to remind all that sram chain is under "recall" ( see cpsc website)..... Personally my feeling is great for Shimano, but my heart is for Campagnolo!

This is correct, however I must add that all 10sp chains that were affected by this recall had to be pulled from shelves and replacements were immediately sent. So current Sram 10sp chains on the market are now ok for use. This recall was was sent out back in October at some time. My new 1090 chain that I bought in Nov. was a new replacement.
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002

Actual numbers

Quote Originally Posted by TiBike

From the latest issue of VeloNews:

Chorus: 2168 gm
    Force: 2162 gm

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons
    From the latest issue of VeloNews:

Chorus: 2168 gm
    Force: 2162 gm

So basically an average haircut will make the difference!

Rub it............
    Or you can empty the lint out of your pockets.
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    I may be mistaken but I do believe that both Campagnolo Chorus and Sram Force have a range of weights. Different gear ratios (ie. 11-21 vs 11-26) weigh different as does exterior BB vs BB30 , standard R/D cage vs mid and long cage R/D. There is a wider range of only 6 gr weight difference between the 2 groups. There maybe as little as 6 gr as Velonews says but Sram says the Force group weighs 1951 gr when the BB30 is used. Bottom line is that each group has a range of weights depending on a few component choices. There is no 1 weight that covers the whole option of components that each group offers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The BB30 is definitely a big deal with the Force stuff... puts it under 2000g and is actually lighter than SRAM Red (or Record and Dura Ace, for that matter). SRAM is the cheapest per gram... but I agree with the others. The small differences in weight aren't going to win or lose any races. Here's a couple of good links:

Someone on WeightWeenies charted out the differences for all the main groups:
    http://djconnel.com/cycling/2010_com...ve_Cyclist.pdf

Breakdown of weights betwen DA/Force/Force BB30:
    http://www.cxmagazine.com/new-sram-f...-bb30-and-gore

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    Campy is rebuildable-big deal especially for shifters. Ribble has 11 sp Chorus group for $1150.
    "The problem with losing your mind is that by the time you realize it's gone, it's too late to get it back."
    Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson

RoadBikeReview Member
    SRAM shifters are rebuildable, as well. Force is $845 at GVHBikes.com. In fact, you could do SRAM Red w/Ultegra cassette & chain + Force front derailleur and bottom bracket for around $1150.

Addict-ed
    Aug 2007

On my scale

My last upgrade includes Sram Force 2010.
    Just numbers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Weight: Force vs Chorus-scott-addict-r4_2010-upgrade.jpg