Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    a real member's member
    oh, it's a triple. i'd size the chain perfectly for the outer two rings and only ride the granny while in the two largest rear cogs.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    oh, it's a triple. i'd size the chain perfectly for the outer two rings and only ride the granny while in the two largest rear cogs.
    You'd be doing it incorrectly.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    No, chains don't stretch. They wear, and they elongate, but it's not stretch.
    If the chain elongated enough to cause this amount of sag, it would have caused shifting problems loooooooooong time ago.

OP, there is something mysterious here. Are you saying the chain sag wasn't there before you removed the two links? Are you sure you re-installed the same chain? I honestly cannot think of any other way this could happen.

I would say start over with a new chain and size it as per the directions that come with the chain which is in the small/small combo.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

a real member's member
    You'd be doing it incorrectly.
    not for me. maybe for someone else.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    not for me. maybe for someone else.
    So you are telling us you have done it this way and your shifting has been flawless? Do tell!
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

-- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2008
    New chain, everything is looking good. Yes, shifting has always been flawless. This was the original chain. weird derailluer position-newchain.jpg
    I am probably the last person to have received an email from Sheldon Brown! A very nice gentleman.

2008 Specialized Roubaix Elite Triple
    105 Shifter/derailleurs
    FSA Gossamer Triple MegaExo
    BWW Blackset Race 11 wheels
    Continental Gators 25c
    Kool Stop Salmon brake pads
    Cateye Strada Double Wireless CC-RD400DW
    Sigma PC-9 HRM
    RADBOT-1000 rear strobe flasher
    Blaze 1/2w LED headlight

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    So you are telling us you have done it this way and your shifting has been flawless? Do tell!
    i haven't had too many triples. most all of my bikes have been doubles. but, yes, the shifting on all the higher end bikes is flawless. as i wrote before, i never ride in the small/small nor big/big combos. i wouldn't ride a granny in the smaller cogs ever. I don't see the point. ymmv.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeRojo View Post
    New chain, everything is looking good. Yes, shifting has always been flawless. This was the original chain. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	newchain.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	107.0 KB 
ID:	319518
    How much shorter is the new chain than the old?
    Too old to ride plastic

'brifter' is a lame word.
    i haven't had too many triples. most all of my bikes have been doubles. but, yes, the shifting on all the higher end bikes is flawless. as i wrote before, i never ride in the small/small nor big/big combos. i wouldn't ride a granny in the smaller cogs ever. I don't see the point. ymmv.
    That's the way you ride. Oddly enough there are thousands if not millions of riders that actually do cross chain and every drive train should be able to work big/big if the rider chooses to do so. There is a right way to do everything and your way is not it. It's your way. That's great if you want to do it, but it's pretty much worthless for you to post about it in a thread where someone is looking for sound advice.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

a real member's member
    That's the way you ride.
    yes, and in every post, that's what i wrote.

RoadBikeReview Member
    yes, and in every post, that's what i wrote.
    Yes you did. Semantics! You said and I'll quote " I'd size the chain perfectly for the outer two rings and only ride the granny while in the two largest rear cogs". So your implication was that this was an option for the OP. It is not good advice and there is absolutely no reason to do it this way.

-- Warren Buffett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    I 'think' I know what happened since you say you pulled the rear derailleur and serviced it. I would bet that during reassembly you backed out the b-tension screw from it's original position, whether on purpose to set it correctly or just inadvertently. I've seen plenty of bikes built from the factory that had chains too long (more often than I would like) and the they crank down the b-tension screw to pull the derailleur up in the small/small combo.

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Yes you did. Semantics! You said and I'll quote " I'd size the chain perfectly for the outer two rings and only ride the granny while in the two largest rear cogs". So your implication was that this was an option for the OP. It is not good advice and there is absolutely no reason to do it this way.
    it works very well for me. but I don't ride in cross-chained gear combos that put extra strain and wear on the chain, rings, cogs, and rear derailleur cage spring.

it might help the op to put his rings and cogs in a gear calc and see what's available to be most efficient.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    Explain how a larger big ring would change anything here.
    The OP needs an extra large big ring.

Accept facts.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nimetonmaili View Post
    The OP needs an extra large big ring.

Accept facts.
    Trolls taste like chicken.

-- Warren Buffett

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12