RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008

What am I missing? Chain slip

I live /ride in the great white north and unless it's summer, I change my chains every 2,000 k's.
    Cassettes 4000 or every other chain. Sram Red comp.'s with 6700 chain / cassette's.
    Recent decision to see if I could stretch the chain 2500 k's cause slippage. Chain measured just over 1/16. Rotor Q-rings 53/39. Rings have approx. 5,500 k's and do not appear worn. Cassette was recently installed, the chain had 1500 k's on it at the time. I do ride more than one bike but generally commit a set of wheels (cassette) to each ride.
    New chain, today. Slippage continues. 500 K's on cassette, rings appear good.
    What I am I missing?....k, go

RoadBikeReview Member
    Shimano Hubs? Mavic Wheels? Did you forget the extra hub spacer ring to lock the cassette down?

Is there any play in the cassette? Lock ring installed correctly?

Did you bump the Rear Der. installing or removing the rear wheel? Check the alignment.

Check the cable tension make sure it is dialed in.

Correct chain Length?

Did you try greasing your headset?

That's all I got.

Not a climber
    Slip like it's skipping a tooth every once in a while or it changes gears on its own?

My chain only skips teeth when I get lazy and don't grease it for a while.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    brand new chain- new cables-re-adjusted the der's again, still slips. 7800 hubs - slips on both 53 and 39, if I remember correctly mid cassette. I'm stumped. Cassette tight and locked in. On the bike stand the chain runs up / down the cassette with no issues, no rub on front der. either. I did install a 6700 b.b. instead of the Rotor (for the first time)could there be a width issue?
    As for the headset......I what?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Try putting one of your used cassettes back on and see if that changes anything.
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cantride55 View Post
    still slips.
    We still don't know what you mean by "slips." As someone asked before: does the chain stay on one rear cog but jump over a tooth on that cog? Or does it rattle and attempt to leave a rear cog for an adjacent one?

Or are you talking about the front chain rings?

RoadBikeReview Member
    The Headset was a joke.

Check your jockey wheels, are they worn? Could be warn enough to be cause the chain to feed to the cassette poorly. ex. roller on the chain hitting the teeth of the cassette rather then the valleys.

Jockey wheels dirty/gunked up enough to not allow the chain to rest correctly on the jockey wheel causing a chain feeding error.

Also check your B-screw setting. Jockey wheel to close or to far causing a feeding problem?

I am assuming when you say "slippage" the chain is jumping forward teeth on the cassette causing a loss of power to the wheel and a popping noise. Not that the chain is trying to jump up or down a gear like a poorly tuned bike.

I do not see the BB causing a problem, unless there is play in the cranks. Even if the new BB was +/- 2mm how much is that going to effect your chain line. Less then one gear space on your cassette.

RoadBikeReview Member
    New chain rules out a chain problem.

Does it skip in only a specific gear (or gears) on your cassette?

Does it skip in only one chainwheel up front?

Have you verified that your derailleur hangar is straight and not bent?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    Der's straight.
    I believe it slips ( not jumping to the next cog, seems to miss a tooth for lack of a better term) only in the middle of the cassette.
    Slips on both chain rings.
    I like the head set comment, got a chuckle out of that one.
    I'm wondering if it is the jockey wheels. All my shifter / der.'s are between 2008 and '10, 3 bikes, 10-12,000 k per year. It's difficult to tell which set up has the most k's on it because I change rides every couple years so each group has been swapped over at least once. Took a quick glance at the jockey wheels and they are certainly not new but do not appear to be worn down to a point either.
    Still, this is now the frontrunner on my "wtf is going on back there"?

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by looigi View Post
    Try putting one of your used cassettes back on and see if that changes anything.
    This. I'd go back to the last known good configuration. Last cassette and last chain. If problem persists then it's likely derailleur or crank related. If problem goes away, you know it's a cassette/chain problem.

Sep 2007
    Old chain could have been stretched. New chain might have a stiff link - e.g. check the pin that joined the chain. Shift to the smallest cog and watch the chain as it goes around that cog and see if any links do not conform properly to the radius. Also the 6700 chain is directional - did you put it on the right way?
    Old La Honda in less than 20 minutes! Or you can watch race video from the low-key hill climb on Welch Creek. More at www.biketelemetry.com.

"I think," said Christopher Robin, "that we ought to eat all our Provisions now, so that we shan't have so much to carry.", Winnie-the-Pooh, A. A. Milne.

RoadBikeReview Member
    He changes chains ever 2000k, so that's roughly 1,200 miles. That's an almost-new chain in my book. Something weird is going on here...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    During the harsh months I change at 2,000 k's. Say Nov thru April. Winter trumps chain's every time.
    Took the bike in today to let my LBS take a look. Turns out the der. hanger was twisted a touch. It was straight, aligned but somehow slightly twisted they said. We'll see if that fixed it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    Check the teeth on the cassette and chainrings for one that is bent slightly. Worn or not, it will cause the slip you are mentioning.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Der's straight.
    I believe it slips ( not jumping to the next cog, seems to miss a tooth for lack of a better term) only in the middle of the cassette.
    Slips on both chain rings.
    Implies a worn cog (or cogs) in the cassette. Chain rings are probably fine.
    Took the bike in today to let my LBS take a look. Turns out the der. hanger was twisted a touch. It was straight, aligned but somehow slightly twisted they said. We'll see if that fixed it.
    Hope that fixes it. If not, try a new cassette per above.

Let us know.