RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2016

What shoes can I wear with these clipless pedals?

Bought a used bike over a year ago and had the clipless pedals it came with removed as I was just working on getting my fitness levels up. Now i'm ready to ride more and want to put these pedals back on. I know there's a variety of clipless pedal types so i'm at a bit of a loss.

What shoes can I wear with these clipless pedals? From what I see they're shimano PD-R540

Also, would you guys recommend getting a new pair/set they seem pretty affordable. Or going with a "easier" to ride clipless set.

Thanks,

Zee

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Those are SPD-SL pedals. Any shoe that is 3-bolt compatible will work, which means basically any old road cycling shoe.

If you don;t have the cleats, you'll need to buy them.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2016
    Thanks Marc. Are these outdated tech? would it benefit me to get something newer type of clipless?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Those pedals look like trash. You will have to get 'road' shoes to get the cleats installed.

I would recommend getting new mountain SPD pedals & mountain shoes. Sounds like you are just getting into the whole riding thing, and with mountain shoes you can walk around normal, not like a duck.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2016
    haha yes i am new. I also should of mentioned these came off my road bike.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by zeeshan66 View Post
    Thanks Marc. Are these outdated tech? would it benefit me to get something newer type of clipless?
    Not outdated. Just well used, in your instance. You can still buy the R540 today, new, retail. Pedals don't "evolve" as fast as smartphones by a long shot.

Per Duriel, MTB systems are much more walking friendly...And most people underestimate how much walking they want'need to do. My touring/gravel rig uses MTB shoes and pedals...BUT the combination of smaller cleat and frequently cheap (low-tier) shoes easily leads to hotspots and foot discomfort. The smaller MTB cleats/pedals need stiffer shoes simply for foot comfort, IMHO.

Since you need shoes and cleats anyway.....it might not be a bad idea to get MTB pedals instead. Amazon has sales on most of the SPD line ATM....shoot they've had the top-tier-of-SPD M9000 and M9020 MTB pedals that are normally $200USD for $90USD Prime for the last 6 months. Your pair of SPD-SL are porobably still good aside from some scrapes on the outside--spin the spindle bearing in your fingers that is the test.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Ditto Marc and Duriel, move to SPD mt. bike style pedals, much more user friendly

Nothing dictates "road pedals and shoes for road bikes, mt. bike pedals and shoes for mt. bikes". Many folks use the regular SPD mt. bike pedal and shoe systems on road bikes.

The advantages are: 1) Double sided entry on SPD. You stomp your foot on either side of the pedal and you clip in. The SPD-L requires you to spin the pedal to get the cleat clipped in to the top of the pedal, thus some practice and finess is required . 2) Easier to walk in SPD.

The shoes (for SPD vs. SPD-L) are about the same price. Ditto the cleats. A pair of Shimano LX level SPD pedals run about $25, so cheap enough.

Only issue I've run into with SPD is the contact area of the cleat is very small and that can cause pressure to form on the outside of the foot, right under the joint of the smallest toe, also known as "hot foot". Thus if I do really long 40+ mile rides, I get pain in that joint. SPD-L pedals and cleats have a larger contact area and support the foot better. The solution for me was to buy reasonably expensive carbon soled mt. bike shoes, which better support the foot.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Do you get two pairs of pedals with the bike or did those pedals come with the bike but weren't mounted on the bike?

Those are two right pedals is why I ask.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Better take a closer look.
    BANNED

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Do you get two pairs of pedals with the bike or did those pedals come with the bike but weren't mounted on the bike?

You're gonna want to look at the photo again.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by duriel View Post
    Better take a closer look.
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    You're gonna want to look at the photo again.
    I'm seeing two different Shimano pedals facing the same direction with the spindles coming out the same side.

What am I missing?
    Too old to ride plastic

'brifter' is a lame word.
    I'm seeing two different Shimano pedals facing the same direction with the spindles coming out the same side.

What am I missing?
    That fact that they're the same model of pedal, one is right side up and one is upside down. Might want to lay off the sauce til a little later this evening.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    That fact that they're the same model of pedal, one is right side up and one is upside down. Might want to lay off the sauce til a little later this evening.
    Ok, I get it now.

But it is New Years Eve ya know.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Ok, I get it now.

But it is New Years Eve ya know.
    Step AWAY from the egg-nog Velodog!
    Moderation is boring - do epic s##t

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    Step AWAY from the egg-nog Velodog!
    Not to worry, the egg nog is so last week.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    I would recommend getting new mountain SPD pedals & mountain shoes. Sounds like you are just getting into the whole riding thing, and with mountain shoes you can walk around normal, not like a duck.
    This. SPD mountain pedals and shoes work just fine for road riding. It's the only thing I use. I like them for the float which is better for your knees, the double sided entry and that you can get shoes that use recessed cleats so you don't sound like a horse when walking in them.

And unless shedding a few grams is a priority, you don't need to spend a lot. Shimano M520 work well, will last thousands of miles and are only $25:

Shimano PD-M520 SPD Pedals | Jenson USA

Or for a larger platform and less chance of getting numb toes, the Shimano M530 is only $5 more:

Shimano SLX Trail PD-M530 SPD Pedals | Jenson USA
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    This. SPD mountain pedals and shoes work just fine for road riding. It's the only thing I use. I like them for the float which is better for your knees, the double sided entry and that you can get shoes that use recessed cleats so you don't sound like a horse when walking in them.
    -Float or that specific amount of float isn't better for everyone's knees.
    -"better" compared to what? You know road pedals/cleats can have float too right?
    -I don't see double sided being any type of advantage compared to pedals that are weighted to hang where they need to be.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    -I don't see double sided being any type of advantage compared to pedals that are weighted to hang where they need to be.
    With unweighted double sided pedals, you just put your foot on the pedal and push down and you are 'in'.
    With weighted road pedals, you need to wait till the pedals weight stops the pedal from spinning/rotating, then look down and drag your shoe smoothly over the pedal from the front to rotate the pedal and engage the platform before you can push down and lock in.

Obviously you have never ridden with Mpedals or road a trail where you are hitting rocks every 2 feet. It is a big difference, where the trail/road is rough or you are inexperienced.
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Obviously you have never ridden with Mpedals or road a trail where you are hitting rocks every 2 feet. It is a big difference, where the trail/road is rough or you are inexperienced.
    I have both. This is a road forum so I assume we are talking about pedals for the road.
    I would agree it would be harder to clip in when bombing down a rough trail. That's why I clip in when I get started not mid-ride. You should try it.
    but yeah, if there was any indication the OP wasn't talking about riding on the road then sure mountain pedals would be better.

RoadBikeReview Member
    This is a road forum so I assume we are talking about pedals for the road.
    There are plenty of road bike riders who use mountain bike pedals and shoes. Let's not make this religion.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    That's why I clip in when I get started not mid-ride. You should try it.
    You were discussing MBike pedals & what you're saying is that you have never wrecked, ever? .... and had to reclip in in the middle of a ride, on a trail, by a creek, after you hit a tree?
    BANNED

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    You were discussing MBike pedals & what you're saying is that you have never wrecked, ever? .... and had to reclip in in the middle of a ride, on a trail, by a creek, after you hit a tree?
    I've definitely not tried to clip in road pedals at speed on a trail after hitting a tree by a creek when out on a road ride with a road bike. I'll take your word that it's difficult. But again I would clip in before getting going with any speed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    There are plenty of road bike riders who use mountain bike pedals and shoes. Let's not make this religion.
    your response makes no sense at all as a response to what I said.

I said "This is a road forum so I assume we are talking about pedals for the road." in response to someone who was talking about needing to clip in on a rocky trail. I said nothing about needing to use road pedals on the road like your response implies.

Russian Troll Farmer
    BTW, just remember that you can't wear white road shoes between labor day and memorial day...
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"