RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008

What should I upgrade on the 2007 Devinci Caribou 1?

It has the following specs:

FRAME
    Caribou
    FORK
    Devinci Cr-Mo with disc brake
    hanger
    REAR DERAILLEUR
    Shimano LX M581
    FRONT DERAILLEUR
    Shimano Tiagra 4503
    CRANKSET
    Truvativ Touro 3.0 Power Spline 52/42/30T
    SHIFTERS
    Shimano Tiagra 4500
    WHEELS
    Shimano M475 disc / Mavic A319/  DT Swiss Champion
    TIRES
    Kenda Kwick Roller 700x28C
    reflective / puncture resistant
    BRAKES
    Tektro Oryx 992AG
    STEM
    FSA OS-190LX 31.8mm
    HANDLEBAR
    V2 Gyro roadbar 6061 butted 31.8mm
    SADDLE
    Selle Italia XO trans am
    SEATPOST
    FSA SL-280 27.2mm

One thing that I have thought about upgrading were the wheels. The tracks seems too large/dense for road riding. Approximately how much does it cost in total to upgrade them to road wheels?

Also, I have thought about upgrading to disk brakes. Does the "disk brake hanger" mean that I can readily place a disk brake in there? And again, how much would this cost approximately?

Thirdly, the shifting on this bike doesn't feel very smooth. What should I upgrade to improve the shifting? The shifter, or front derailleurs, rear derailleurs, or both?

And finally, can anyone suggest anything else that I can upgrade to improve the performance?

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005

Money pit.

I understand your desire to 'upgrade,' but your Caribou is a mid-range multi-purpose bike which does a lot of things well, but none really well. The money you're thinking about spending will do nothing to change that fact. If you're never going to ride dirt roads, putting some skinnier tires on your wheels wouldn't hurt. There's no reason for the bike to not shift smoothly—perhaps you need to make some adjustments. If it's the wrong bike for you (as it seems to be), keep it original, clean and well-maintained, then trade it for something more to your liking.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    I see, thanks for your input.
    So what improvements will I see with moving to better derailleurs?

EDIT********
    In addition, which components are responsible for bikes' climbing power?
    Last edited by thenew007; 06-14-2008 at 12:20 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    bump
    and also, which derailleur (front or rear) has more effect on the performance?

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    - More expensive derailleurs last longer, weigh a little less, look better and shift a little crisper given matching shifters. There's no measurable performance gain, front or rear.

- Climbing power is generated by the rider, not the bike. But anything you can do to make the bike lighter will increase climbing speed. Keep in mind that reducing weight of the bike alone is just part of the equation, so the percentages aren't that great:

24 lb. bike + 166 lb. rider = 190 lb. combination
    20 lb. bike + 166 lb. rider = 186 lb. combination
    4 lb. difference = 2% weight reduction

In terms of speed, you're only talking 30 seconds or so faster on a 5-mile climb with a 6% average grade. And you're still pushing uphill a long-wheelbase, multi-purpose Caribou frame that's not really suitable for fast climbing. Seems to me you're the guy who bought an SUV, but now wishes he'd bought a sports car instead. Trade, if you can—instead of sinking money into a questionable weight-reduction project.

/w
    Last edited by wim; 06-14-2008 at 03:32 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2008
    Hi, do you mind elaborating on why bikes with long wheelbase are poor climbers? How can I notice such a thing as to avoid it the next time?

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Hi, do you mind elaborating on why bikes with long wheelbase are poor climbers? How can I notice such a thing as to avoid it the next time?
    No, not at all. When you climb out of the saddle, you shift your weight forward. With the rear wheel tucked in, under significant power you get a little more traction between the road and the tire than with the rear wheel trailing back behind you. This is not on the order of a revelation—it's just another small advantage that you have to see in the context of everything else that makes an excellent climbing bike.

I never said long-wheelbase bikes are poor climbers.Your Caribou is not a poor climber. It'll climb for you without complaining, as best as a 24-pound multi-purpose, long-wheelbase, touring/commuter bike can. What had me going on about this is your idea to make your Caribou into something that it'll never be. Believe me, I understand your desire to ride a light, responsive climbing bike and wish you well in finding or building one.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thenew007
    which components are responsible for bikes' climbing power?
    these: