RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010

Wheel Truing with Zip Ties!

i have trued wheels using brake pads as i dont have funds for a park ts2 yet, however i discovered another great reason to always have zip ties.

my old team fuji (single speed) has a wheelset (entry alx wheels, 30 bucks on craigslist) that needed truing. the rear brake is gone because it was missing a few screws, so i decided to just use the front. i was trying to zip tie the rear brake in place and realized the i could check for any hops (which i dont know how to true), or any wobble/side play; i used 3 zip ties.

1 on each seatstay, and 1 through the brake drillout. to measure how well the i trued the wheels, i decided that if i could not fit the flat side of the zip tie between the rim and the seatstay zip tie, that would be more than fine. well, i finished. no hop and just the tiniest amount of play.

Low Idiot Tolerance
    Jul 2005
    Well done!

You've discovered the bargain truing stand method, used by cyclists for many years and often used by mountain bikers to tweak a whacked wheel back to rideable as a trailside repair.

The one thing is doesn't do is ensure the dish of the wheel is right, but for a makeshift truing job, it's fine.

You'd be better off taking the tyre off and using the spoke well as tyres might not be perfectly round.

Once you've got the hang of it, get hold of a proper stand and build a wheel from scratch. It's not difficult, it's rewarding, and when coupled with a bottle of red wine, quite therapeutic.

Grumps

Wave, dammit!
    Excellent post and an ingenious way of checking the rims.
    When a cyclist in your area is injured or killed by a motorist, make an extra effort the next day to go for a ride. It doesn't have to be an organized ride, or even a long ride. Hell, ride a 15 minute loop around your neighborhood if you want.

Just be seen riding your bike.

Do it to make people aware we're out there. Do it to honor a fellow traveler. Do it because you're lucky enough to still be able to.

Rub it............
    I've used this method in the past on the trails. Works well enough to get back to the car.
    You can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

I kind of wish it were legal to staple people in the face.

duh...
    front brake-only on a ss?

Quote Originally Posted by mikagsd
    Fat tire Fred....you are the bike god of the universe and unless someone agrees with your reasoning they are just plain stupid

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    Can't fault the method, which is ingenious, but doesn't anyone just use their thumb nails any more?

Also true for hops either from the bottom (toward the hub) of the rim, or with the tire off. Tires aren't uniform enough to go by when aligning wheels.

Another tool that less experienced folks might use is a dry marker. Spin the wheel and bring the marker in until it just makes contact on each side, marking the high spot, Repeat for the opposite side, and bottom of the rim. That will leave marks showing the overall pattern of problems without worrying about losing the place.

After working on the wheel, wipe with alcohol, and repeat as needed until you're done.
    fb
    www.chain-l.com

Solving any problem requires understanding the underlying cause

Quote Originally Posted by FBinNY
    Can't fault the method, which is ingenious, but doesn't anyone just use their thumb nails any more?

Also true for hops either from the bottom (toward the hub) of the rim, or with the tire off. Tires aren't uniform enough to go by when aligning wheels.

Another tool that less experienced folks might use is a dry marker. Spin the wheel and bring the marker in until it just makes contact on each side, marking the high spot, Repeat for the opposite side, and bottom of the rim. That will leave marks showing the overall pattern of problems without worrying about losing the place.

After working on the wheel, wipe with alcohol, and repeat as needed until you're done.
    I use my thumb nail...
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

Wave, dammit!
    Quote Originally Posted by FBinNY

The key there is "dry erase" not "Sharpie"!
    When a cyclist in your area is injured or killed by a motorist, make an extra effort the next day to go for a ride. It doesn't have to be an organized ride, or even a long ride. Hell, ride a 15 minute loop around your neighborhood if you want.

Just be seen riding your bike.

Do it to make people aware we're out there. Do it to honor a fellow traveler. Do it because you're lucky enough to still be able to.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569
    The key there is "dry erase" not "Sharpie"!
    It really doesn't matter, most come off easily, worst case is the marks come off with braking. I use "Dry Mark" brand permanent markers for marking metal for a number of applications, and it comes off easily with alcohol.
    fb
    www.chain-l.com

Solving any problem requires understanding the underlying cause