RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010

Why no mountain Di2 groups?

I'm just curious why Shimano hasn't come out with one. What are the technical challenged to doing so? I have seen the Di2 hacks online for mountain groups but Di2 has been out since 2008 or so and has trickled down to Ultegra but still no mountain.

P.S. I will not go create an account on mtbr just to ask this question so if you're about to complain that this isn't related to road keep in mind no one forced you to click on the link that *clearly* states what the question is going to be.

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    Shimano XTR Di2 rumored to be in the works
    Shimano XTR Di2 Electronic MTB Drivetrain Spotted? - BikeRadar
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite upgraded with 32T cassette and does not have Stan's (yet)
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded with 36T cassette and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless. Considering a 1x10 upgrade
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra upgraded to 32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    2008/2009 Burton T6 156cm with Burton Triad Bindings & DC Judge boots

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tednugent View Post
    Shimano XTR Di2 rumored to be in the works
    Shimano XTR Di2 Electronic MTB Drivetrain Spotted? - BikeRadar
    That link turned out to be BikeRadar's boner....that is the electronic suspension lock out..
    But XTR Di2 is coming....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2005
    If electronic shifting comes to MTBs, I wonder if anti-lock disc brakes could be far behind

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008
    As to why it hasn't come out already anyone's guess is as good as mine. I have read of pros still going with mechanical DA on cobbled races to avoid unwanted shifts when rattling over that type of terrain. It could be related to that - maybe figuring out how to eliminate unintentional gear shifts off road presents similar challenges.

There is also the economics to consider. Currently road bikes are a larger portion of the market, so hard to say how much effort goes into the MTB portfolio but now that 2x10 setups are pretty much the standard it seems like a good time for electronic drivetrain to take the market forward.
    miles to posts ratio is > 30:1

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Metaluna View Post
    If electronic shifting comes to MTBs, I wonder if anti-lock disc brakes could be far behind
    No, No and NO!

Antilock brakes would suck. It's already bumpy enough on the trail. Now, you want to add something that will add more vibration? I'll pass.

Antilock brakes would just be a cover up for bad skills. Most hydro disk brakes have good modulation to help you prevent lockup.

Then again...........never underestimate a marketing plan that makes people think they "Need it"
    It's a fire road.............
    I'm on a road bike..........

They have enough in common to blast down it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristatos View Post

There is also the economics to consider. Currently road bikes are a larger portion of the market, so hard to say how much effort goes into the MTB portfolio but now that 2x10 setups are pretty much the standard it seems like a good time for electronic drivetrain to take the market forward.

Nahh. Mtb will get disk brakes before electronic shifting.
    It's a fire road.............
    I'm on a road bike..........

They have enough in common to blast down it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    my guess would be that the mountain bike environment is much harsher then the road, so they can't make electronics that hold up well with the dirt and dust. With racers going to XX1 in droves now and the suspension company's doing electric controlled shocks and forks I can see something happening soon in that department. But I think to get the pros on to electric drive-trains they will have to be really reliable. Unlike in road racing you cant get a new bike when something goes wrong. World cub XC is on short courses now and you just do a bunch of laps. Its really easy to fall behind when you have a mechanical.