RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007

Why are shimano road brake pads marked L and R

To me, these pads look like they are symetrical top to bottom, so does it really matter which shoe you put the pads in? In other words, does a left pad have to go in the left shoe?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2002
    They have a subtle curve to they have both a left and right and a front and back.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007
    When you say front and back, do you mean front brakes (on front wheel) and back brakes (on back wheel)? If yes, I've never noticed this when I've bought the pads before. I only see L and R on them. Where does it say front and back?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dougmint
    To me, these pads look like they are symetrical top to bottom, so does it really matter which shoe you put the pads in? In other words, does a left pad have to go in the left shoe?
    The pad holders have a front and back. If you reverse them braking will pull the pads out of the holders.

Also, the slots in the pad are directional for cooling and venting water. Put them backwards and they won't work as well and probably squeal.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rx-79g
    The pad holders have a front and back. If you reverse them braking will pull the pads out of the holders.

Also, the slots in the pad are directional for cooling and venting water. Put them backwards and they won't work as well and probably squeal.
    No the shoes are not marked front/back nor are they marked left and right, only the pads are marked. It shouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that you just reverse the shoes between front and back and then all four "point" the same direction. Pads are marked because they have a slight taper as well as a curve.

What slots are you referring to? Some pads only have slots perpendicular to the braking surface and some pads have no slots at all. The slots are probably about as useful as tread is on a 22mm wide tire. I think you just are making shite up!

'brifter' is a lame word.
    the pads are marked L and R because
    1) they have a slight curve, and...
    2) there are slots in the back for the small bolt that holds them in the pad holders. that slot (and the shape of the pad) defines 'front' and 'back'...
    the pad holder is 'closed' at the front, and the security bolt is at the back. pretty basic, really.
    all you have to do is look at the holders, and look at the pads. if you still don't get it, you shouldn't be playing w/ tools.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by WheresWaldo
    No the shoes are not marked front/back nor are they marked left and right, only the pads are marked. It shouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that you just reverse the shoes between front and back and then all four "point" the same direction. Pads are marked because they have a slight taper as well as a curve.

What slots are you referring to? Some pads only have slots perpendicular to the braking surface and some pads have no slots at all. The slots are probably about as useful as tread is on a 22mm wide tire. I think you just are making shite up!
    Go ahead and try it, smartypants. CX and I know what we're talking about, and have done the work.

You don't and obviously haven't.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    if you put them in backwards you will speed up when you grab the brakes....

Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench
    the pads are marked L and R because
    1) they have a slight curve, and...
    2) there are slots in the back for the small bolt that holds them in the pad holders. that slot (and the shape of the pad) defines 'front' and 'back'...
    the pad holder is 'closed' at the front, and the security bolt is at the back. pretty basic, really.
    all you have to do is look at the holders, and look at the pads. if you still don't get it, you shouldn't be playing w/ tools.
    ^^^ This.
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    pretty basic, really.
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    if you still don't get it, you shouldn't be playing w/ tools.
    I still don't get it, but am playing w/ tools.

You shouldn't let your rage consume you.
    Last edited by nimetonmaili; 06-25-2017 at 08:26 AM.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by nimetonmaili View Post
    I still don't get it, but am playing w/ tools.

You shouldn't let your rage consume you.
    Are you a SJW as well? This thread is 6 years old and you posted just so you could say this?
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    I actually enjoyed bleeding my disc brakes, even though it was my first time and made lots of mistakes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nimetonmaili View Post
    I actually enjoyed bleeding my disc brakes, even though it was my first time and made lots of mistakes.
    Do you have an organ donor card?
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger