RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012

Will a 105 5700 BB fit in my old steel bike?

First let me apologize for being such a noob.

I have a Bianchi Campione that i bought from craigslist. i enjoy the bike but i really want to convert it from 7 speed to 10 speed.

My question is ... will the 105 5700 BB and crank fit my frame. Im not sure what year the the bianchi frame is but it currently has rs100 crank on it and i believe it is a model manufactured in japan.

Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks

Cranky Old Bastard
    No problem, everyone had to start somewhere!

A 68mm BB will likely fit and if so you'll have lots of options for cranksets. All my old 7-speed bikes (20 years ago) were 68mm.
    I don't know how many times you have to post before you can include pics but a few of those would help.

Possibly a Bianchi expert will jump in here.

You do realize that upgrading will cost at least a few hundred dollars and probably around $300-$500 for all new parts?
    "When you know absolutely nothing, anyone who knows 1% more than nothing sounds like an expert."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Randy. Thanks for the help.
    Ive been pricing everything out and it looks like im spending around 850 for new wheels, tires and complete 105 groupset.

Pricey i know but i like tooling around i think it'll look awesome to put modern components on lugged steel bike

RoadBikeReview Member
    This site will help Sheldon Brown-Bicycle Technical Information

You need to determine what BB threading you have - English or Italian. Maybe someone here who knows can tell you. Your new 105 BB cups will have to match the BB shell on the bike.

You will also need the tools to remove the old BB and install the new.

A 7 speed bike will have 126mm spacing for the rear hub, all newer hubs will be 130mm. The frame will probably accommodate a 4mm wider hub, but RD hanger alignment should definitely be checked. Either a special tool or a competent bike mechanic's job.
    There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Hey bikejulio

Im pretty sure the threading is english as the bike is a japanese made bianchi which i've read were only sold in the US.

Regarding the 105 BB cups matching the shell on the bike... im not sure. im going under the assumption that since it previously was equipped with Shimano rs100 crank that it would match.

im so unsure about this build. its my first one and there are so many factors involved especially since im trying to fit new components on an old 7speed.

thanks for the information. ill post on the bianchi thread and see if i can get more information.

Worse case scenario ... i buy a new frame if it doesnt work out.

Cycling induced anoesis
    Quote Originally Posted by cjavate View Post
    Hey bikejulio

Im pretty sure the threading is english as the bike is a japanese made bianchi which i've read were only sold in the US.

Regarding the 105 BB cups matching the shell on the bike... im not sure. im going under the assumption that since it previously was equipped with Shimano rs100 crank that it would match.

im so unsure about this build. its my first one and there are so many factors involved especially since im trying to fit new components on an old 7speed.

thanks for the information. ill post on the bianchi thread and see if i can get more information.

Worse case scenario ... i buy a new frame if it doesnt work out.
    I'd measure (or have your LBS measure) the BB shell. Some older Japanese frames were 70mm in width, but English threaded.

If this applies to your frame, you can have the LBS face the BB shell down to 68mm, then use a more modern/ Shimano crankset.

RoadBikeReview Member
    By "matching" the cups, I just meant the threading. If you have calipers and measure the width of the BB shell, and it's 68mm then you know for sure you have an english threaded BB.
    There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    I really gotta get a caliper.

However I measured the length of the bb shell and i roughly got 2-23/32 (2.65625) inches which converted to mm is 67.46875.

Btw im using a straight ruler. I know its not that accurate but i measured multiple times and im definitely not getting 70mm bb shell lenght.

Looks as tho my frame is ok to fit 5700 bb. Right?

Cycling induced anoesis
    I really gotta get a caliper.
    However I measured the length of the bb shell and i roughly got 2-23/32 (2.65625) inches which converted to mm is 67.46875.

Btw im using a straight ruler. I know its not that accurate but i measured multiple times and im definitely not getting 70mm bb shell lenght.

Looks as tho my frame is ok to fit 5700 bb. Right?
    Based on your measurements, I'd say that's correct.

Just keep in mind that this is just one piece of your drivetrain. Until you upgrade the remainder, you'll be running a 10 speed crankset with a 7 speed drivetrain which may well require a narrower chain. This, of course, assumes you're approaching this (upgrade) piecemeal.

Cranky Old Bastard
    Randy. Thanks for the help.
    Ive been pricing everything out and it looks like im spending around 850 for new wheels, tires and complete 105 groupset. Pricey i know but i like tooling around i think it'll look awesome to put modern components on lugged steel bike
    Sometimes, like in this thread, an original poster gives us more info that changes what we will recommend.

Sorry, but what you want to do really doesn't make sense. I'm not criticizing you, just giving you my opinion.

You can buy a brand new steel frame bike, with carbon fork and mostly 105 components for $800.
    Pro Level Steel Road Bikes | Commuting | Commuter Bikes | Motobecane Gran Premio PRO

You can upgrade into a carbon frame or Ultegra or Sram components for not a lot more money.
    This Nashbar carbon bike has a Tiagra/105 mix and sometimes goes on sale for 20% off: Nashbar Carbon Road Bike - Drop Bar Road

Let me make an analogy: you want to take a Honda car and turn it into an Acura. But it will never be an Acura, only a hopped-up Honda.

I'm not familiar with your Bianchi but unless it is the best model they every made it just isn't worth putting that much money into an old frame.
    If you decided to sell the Bianchi later you'd lose most of what you spent on upgrades.

Obviously you can do whatever you want, it's your money. It would be cool to have a retro bike with new components.
    But I know that if I spent that much and then found out that I could have gotten a way cooler new bike for a little more money I'd be kicking myself in the a$$.
    Last edited by Randy99CL; 05-19-2013 at 04:55 PM.
    "When you know absolutely nothing, anyone who knows 1% more than nothing sounds like an expert."

Cycling induced anoesis
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy99CL View Post
    If you decided to sell the Bianchi later you'd lose most of what you spent on upgrades.
    Not arguing with you because I think you make a good counterpoint, but if the OP were to go forward with the upgrades, I think he has better options than the one above.

Components bolt onto frames, so can be transferred to another if/ when the OP decides to go with a new frame/ frameset. Given the age of the Bianchi and the fact that it's of Japanese origin, it's doesn't have a lot of residual value, so better to ride out it's remaining life (IMO).

Masters Neophyte
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ352 View Post
    Based on your measurements, I'd say that's correct.

Just keep in mind that this is just one piece of your drivetrain. Until you upgrade the remainder, you'll be running a 10 speed crankset with a 7 speed drivetrain which may well require a narrower chain. This, of course, assumes you're approaching this (upgrade) piecemeal.
    PJ- the OP is intending to buy a full 105 groupset, so hopefully he's covered on the chain.
    Capt Willard: "Every minute I stay in this room, I get weaker, and every minute Charlie squats in the bush, he gets stronger."

Cycling induced anoesis
    Quote Originally Posted by RRRoubaix View Post
    PJ- the OP is intending to buy a full 105 groupset, so hopefully he's covered on the chain.
    Yup. Read it, then promptly forgot it. Thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    I think i have it all covered. I was just unsure bout bb fit. RD should be fine and ive seen braze on adapters w/ shim to fit the FD to my frame. Brakes are short reach and the new cassette is going on a brand new shimano rs30 wheelsets.

Cycling induced anoesis
    I think i have it all covered. I was just unsure bout bb fit. RD should be fine and ive seen braze on adapters w/ shim to fit the FD to my frame. Brakes are short reach and the new cassette is going on a brand new shimano rs30 wheelsets.
    You'll do fine. Like most any build, there's bound to be 'incidentals' along the way (ex: down tube cable stops), but that's hardly a show stopper.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Man you guys are a great help.

Thanks for the heads up on the down tube cable stops. ill have to look into those.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Regarding the practicality of the build. it probably isnt. My reasons for doing so is ..
    1. i like the thought of building a bike
    2. the frame isnt so rare and awesome that i dont feel it has to be restored or kept original.
    3. Id like to have all components match.
    4. im getting a pretty decent wheelset
    5. i think it'll look cool.

Heres my shopping list.
    Shimano 105 5700 Groupset - Black
    Shimano RS30 Wheels Black - Pair
    Continental Gator Skin Tyre - Wire Bead - 700c 700 x 25c

Rim Tape 700c Road
    Continental Race 28 700c x 20-25 Tube 60mm Valve - Presta

Park FR5C HG Shimano/Sram Cassette Lockring Tool
    Icetoolz Premium Chain Tool
    Shimano Cartridge Bottom Bracket Tool

Cycling induced anoesis
    Man you guys are a great help.

Thanks for the heads up on the down tube cable stops. ill have to look into those.
    You can get them just about anywhere...
    Amazon.com: downtube cable stops

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    BTW i just checked out the link for the Nashbar Carbon Roadbike. All i can say is dang. it really gives a second thoughts about my build.

Cycling induced anoesis
    You'll want to add a chain whip to that list. Also, if you're going with Shimano's 5700 Hollowtech ll BB, you'll need the correct BB tool (Park tools BBT-19 or BBT-9), not the one you have listed.

You may want to have your LBS remove the old BB. Not worth buying those tools for a one time use.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    PJ Thanks again!

Cycling induced anoesis
    PJ Thanks again!
    You're welcome. And good luck with your decision, whichever it may be.

RoadBikeReview Member

Thumbs down

BTW i just checked out the link for the Nashbar Carbon Roadbike. All i can say is dang. it really gives a second thoughts about my build.
    cjavate, I completely understand your motivation for the upgrading your old Bianchi. I have often toyed with the idea of upgrading my Cilo Sport because I love the ride, love the handling, and would love the bike even more with modern shifters and more gears. But the economics just don't make sense and it was better to just get a better bike rather than converting the Cilo.

This strategy has paid off wonderfully. Moving through several upgrade bikes, I now have a great CF bike and a great old classic. That proves to be a great combination. My new bike was damaged after a car ran us off the road a few weeks back. That bike is getter some (thankfully small) fixes and some upgrades. In the meantime, there's the Cilo. In fact, I rode several hours in heavy rain over the weekend, something I wouldn't even consider with the new bike for fear of damaging it in another crash.