RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008

Wipperman Connex master link/Campy Record chain

Advice appreciated:

1) Does anybody know if a 10-speed chain Wipperman Connex master link is compatible with a Campy Record 10-speed chain ?

2) If so, do I have to replace the master-link every time I change the chain or can I continue to use the old link.

Thanks and have a great week-end. Much needed rain here so no ride !!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rombalds View Post
    Advice appreciated:

1) Does anybody know if a 10-speed chain Wipperman Connex master link is compatible with a Campy Record 10-speed chain ?

2) If so, do I have to replace the master-link every time I change the chain or can I continue to use the old link.

Yes, a Wipperman Connex works on Campy 10 speed. Just make sure you buy the right one since Wipperman sells several different master-links.

Why would you not replace the master=link when you change the chain?
    If you focus on the past, you will never see the future.

Every day I wake up is a good day!

"I don't need another bike"
    - Anonymous

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks. I guess for cost reasons if I could get away with it. $14 or so for the 10-speed links on top of the chain price. Probably false economy !!!!!!

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by onlineflyer View Post
    Why would you not replace the master=link when you change the chain?
    His question is probably based on the fact that there is a master link which, according to its manufacturer, should not be re-used after opening.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

info...

Quote Originally Posted by Rombalds View Post
    Advice appreciated:

While a Wipperman connex may "work" with a Campy chain, there is only ONE current 10 speed model and it is a sloppy fit on a Campy chain.

Campy chains tend to last longer than other brands. If you use the chain for it's full life (when the roller spacing reaches about .240 inch), then a new master link should be installed with a new chain.

If you want the maximum life from your chains and cassette, alternate the use of three chains, changing to a new one before any of them is half worn. Keep rotating the chains and you'll never get chain skip.

Elmira > Taiwan > Elmira
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by C-40 View Post
    While a Wipperman connex may "work" with a Campy chain, there is only ONE current 10 speed model and it is a sloppy fit on a Campy chain.

Campy chains tend to last longer than other brands. If you use the chain for it's full life (when the roller spacing reaches about .240 inch), then a new master link should be installed with a new chain.

If you want the maximum life from your chains and cassette, alternate the use of three chains, changing to a new one before any of them is half worn. Keep rotating the chains and you'll never get chain skip.
    I ran a Wipperman chain and link with a Centaur system for several years with no issues. It shifted about as well as the standard Campagnolo chain.
    2005 Ritchey BreakAway (steel)
    Full Campagnolo compact drivetrain - Chorus 11sp
    (50, 34 & 12-29)
    Proton wheels
    Cateye CC-TR300TW V3
    Ritchey fork, stem, headset, bars and seatpost
    Fizik Gobi saddle and bar tape
    BeBop Pedals

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've used a 10 speed Wipperman link to get me home twice after my Campy 11 speed chain broke. This at about 2,000 miles, which seems their life. It's a loose fit, but I take it easy and it beats walking.

Devoid of all flim-flam
    Just to complicate the discussion, I just bought a KMC quick link designed for a Campy ten. It's too tight! The Wipperman Campy Connex link and the Shimano/Sram KMC link may be a hair loose, but all in all they fit much better.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

Elmira > Taiwan > Elmira
    Nov 2005
    Currently on an 11sp Chorus chain with an 11sp KMC link...
    2005 Ritchey BreakAway (steel)
    Full Campagnolo compact drivetrain - Chorus 11sp
    (50, 34 & 12-29)
    Proton wheels
    Cateye CC-TR300TW V3
    Ritchey fork, stem, headset, bars and seatpost
    Fizik Gobi saddle and bar tape
    BeBop Pedals

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

???

Quote Originally Posted by Mapei View Post
    Just to complicate the discussion, I just bought a KMC quick link designed for a Campy ten. It's too tight! The Wipperman Campy Connex link and the Shimano/Sram KMC link may be a hair loose, but all in all they fit much better.
    You must have received a defective link. I've used the KMC link for Campy many times and the side clearance is generous. I've also used them on the 11 speed chain, despite the sloppy fit.