RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010

Wipperman master problems with link 11-tooth cog

Recently upgraded to Ultegra 6700 groupo. Have the 11-28 cassette and Ultegra chain.

Asked the guy at the LBS to install a master link; he chose Wipperman.

Been having problems with chain hopping on the 11 tooth cog. It gets worse as the chain gets gritty (chain is wiped clean and oiled before each ride).

After the first time I took off the chain and gave it a thorough cleaning, the hop was gone for about 100 miles.

After the second cleaning, same deal.

After the third cleaning, the hop was always there. So I did an experiment. I 'reversed' the master link.

The side plates are asymetric, there's a 'fat end' and a narrow end. It was installed so that when the master link was on the bottom of chain loop (i.e. it has just passed over the chain ring as was heading for the rear derailer), the 'fat end' of the inside plate was pointed at the rear derailer.

So I re-installed the link so that the inside plate's narrow end is pointing at the rear derailer. The chain hop is gone.

There's nothing on the Wipperman website about this issue.

I have seen complaints in online reviews that this master link always hops on 11-tooth cogs.

Maybe I'm being pessimistic but I'm not so sure that I've really fixed anything.

Anyone else 'fixed' this problem? If so, how?

Matnlely Dregaend
    It was installed incorrectly. There are instructions with every Wipperman link that specify which way the link has to face, yet lots of people run into this problem when they don't follow the directions. I use this link on many 11 cog cassettes without issue.

http://www.connexchain.com/data-live...onnex_Link.pdf
    “Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” - Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "Cycling and ethical bankruptcy have always gone together." - Bike Snob NYC
    "White personifies this generation's obsession with superficiality, one in which a carefully curated social media post is more important than the actual ride" - Daimeon Shanks
    "I haven't %^&* like that since I was an altar boy" Hank Moody

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    Yeah, I saw that drawing on their website.

The problem that I have with their drawing is that I don't see any warning about the master link being directional. Unless you pay very close attention and are quite literal, you've got a 50/50 chance of installing it backwards.

I suppose that's why I've seen so many complaints.

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by slow.climber
    The problem that I have with their drawing is that I don't see any warning about the master link being directional.
    The instructions are to install the link into the bottom run of the chain as shown on the illustration. The link must be right-side up, which will make it look like an inverted "V" in the bottom run of the chain. The proper direction is merely the result of the proper installation, so there's really no need to worry about direction. You're confusing yourself by thinking "direction" instead of just following the illustration.

I agree that the text could be made a little clearer. It should point out the "right-side up" and "bottom run inverted V" thing and reference the illustration showing it ("...exactly as shown...").
    Last edited by wim; 01-19-2011 at 08:21 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    I don't think a Connex link will work with a Ultegra chain. Width is 6.1, Connex link is 5.9.
    That could be the problem.

Still waiting......
    Feb 2004
    I have to solve this problem just about every time I install a new Wipperman chain. I forget to look at the orientation of the old master link, am too lazy to read directions, and too dumb to remember the proper way.

If new chain skips in the 11, I flip the link over and the problem is solved until I screw it up the next time I install a chain.
    AKA - Go Dot

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    I would agree that the directions could better emphasize doing it EXACTLY as illustrated. If you use the positions they show, there is no way of getting it upside down.

On the other hand, if you are so mechanically inclined to not need directions, you'd notice how that hump is going to feed around the cassette cogs and put it the right way.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

nope...

Quote Originally Posted by Dinosaur
    I don't think a Connex link will work with a Ultegra chain. Width is 6.1, Connex link is 5.9.
    That could be the problem.
    All modern 10 speed chains are now 5.9mm wide. The Wipperman link should be a perfect fit with a Shimano or KMC chain, but it will have too much side clearance with a SRAM or Campy chain. The same ouside width does not mean the same width across the inner plates.

The orientation is simple to remember - the slotted end must point toward the back of the bike, when the chain is connected. Everyone I know hooks the chain together on the lower side.

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by C-40
    The orientation is simple to remember - the slotted end must point toward the back of the bike, when the chain is connected. Everyone I know hooks the chain together on the lower side.
    You still should have the bottom run notation. A good technical writer doesn't assume that the procedures followed by his acquaintances are universal.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

info...

Quote Originally Posted by wim
    You still should have the bottom run notation. A good technical writer doesn't assume that the procedures followed by his acquaintances are universal.
    Hard to get this wrong.

http://www.connexchain.com/data-live...onnex_Link.pdf

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Except for the "Connex" logo on the links in the illustration suggest the top run.

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Hard to get this wrong.
    Agree. The top-most illustration specifies the bottom run. My quible was with the "the slotted end must point toward the back of the bike, when the chain is connected" without a bottom run specification / notation. No big deal, just thinking about fool-proofing technical texts, which interests me from a language point of view.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2010
    Not really.

It's reasonable to assume that if a part is asymmetric, and you absolutely must install it in a particular orientation, that the instructions would actually tell you that.

I doubt that most people will look at the machining on the slot and automatically figure out that it only works in one orientation. I suspect that this is especially true for some one like me, who's been using SRAM master links for many years.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    It is easy to remember that when you connect the link on the bottom run of the chain the slot in the link will make a sad face. I like to think "frown down" as a silly way to remember.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2016
    Um, yes. I have the link installed as rx-79g suggests and it skips on my 11 tooth cog on my Ultegra 6700 cassette. I had the same issue earlier, with the Wippermann link on my 105 cassette. I think I'll just have to stop buying the Wippermann Connex. I don't think they make it the right dimension(s). Works OK if you don't use an 11 tooth cog.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    The directions are telling u that, many people do not follow directions and then complain on the internet about how some product is defective, or try and deflect the responsiblity to someone other than themselves.
    I have run a connex ML on 11 for years without issues, 10spd.
    BANNED

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brauer View Post
    Um, yes. I have the link installed as rx-79g suggests and it skips on my 11 tooth cog on my Ultegra 6700 cassette. I had the same issue earlier, with the Wippermann link on my 105 cassette. I think I'll just have to stop buying the Wippermann Connex. I don't think they make it the right dimension(s). Works OK if you don't use an 11 tooth cog.
    You're doing it wrong on multiple levels. rx79g's last post was in January of 2011. And if you're having problems in the 11 you're installing the link incorrectly.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2016
    Sorry, Respectfully cxwrench, but in this case you are incorrect. I installed the ml in the correct position, as per instructions, and it skipped. But GOOD NEWS! After 75 miles of riding the skipping has stopped. I think that it just needed to have a heavy load applied a few times or maybe just a little bit more use.
    My statement about the 105 cassette was on another bike, another chain, another ML. I never could get it to work smoothly despite switching the ML right side up or upside down.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2015

Connex Quick Link Direction Error

Thank you slow.climber, 8 years later! I got the Connex quick link without any instructions and given that there was no arrow on it I assumed it was bidirectional. Of course with a 50% chance of getting it wrong, I got it wrong, and the chain skipped on 11 tooth cog under load. Reversing the direction fixed it perfectly!
    Last edited by tribad; 08-05-2018 at 04:19 PM. Reason: clarify context