RoadBikeReview Member

Question Work Stand Recommendations

Hi guys,

I'd like to do more work on my bike, but not having a work stand is really making things difficult. At first glance work stands seem to be pretty expensive.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good quality work stand that won't break the bank?

Thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Do a search for "sawhorse bicycle repair stand".
    I made one.
    Cheap and they work well for the home mechanic.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    Mentioning a specific price range will be helpful. The size of banks, and the amount it takes to break them, varies around here.

XC Sprint Machine
    Feb 2014
    It really depends on what you need it for, how often... The more you pay they more you get usually. For workstand the best brand for me are the following: Feedback Sports, Pedros and Parktool. Personally I use the Feedback Sports Pro Elite stand which I believe to be the best (Most durable and practical) existing stand but Prices are around 200-250 USD. One thing that might be usefull to know, fix your bike not on the toptube but on the seatpost and if you have a carbon fiber seatpost you can buy a very cheap post that you exchange with your main one just for fixing it to the stand.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012
    I have the Park tools PCS-10 and it works very well, I also have the tray that goes with it.

I have never swapped out a CF seatpost nor has my shop I use, I have never seen one cracked either. With a lot of bikes using integrated or unique to the brand seat posts the option of swapping them out is not there. I clamp my bike by the top tube for the vast majority of my work, I wrap a MF towel around before I clamp it and once again in the last 3 years never had an issue on any bike.

Now if I need a lot more clamping force I will flip over to the seatpost, but for 90% of the work I do I just need the bike up off of the ground at working height and restrained.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Klassikbike View Post
    One thing that might be usefull to know, fix your bike not on the toptube but on the seatpost and if you have a carbon fiber seatpost you can buy a very cheap post that you exchange with your main one just for fixing it to the stand.
    Negative.
    I doubt there is such a stand on the market but any stand designed so poorly that you need to do that shouldn't be owned in the first place.
    Think of how a seat post stays in place and you're worried about a much much larger clamp which off course spreads the pressure around?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tvad View Post
    Mentioning a specific price range will be helpful. The size of banks, and the amount it takes to break them, varies around here.
    Haha. Fair enough.

I'm in Canada, and with the dollar the way it is, ordering a $250 USD stand quickly becomes $400. Seems like a lot to spend, and I'd much rather spend that on components for my bike.

I do plan to use the stand often for basic maintenance like chain lubing/cleaning, bike cleaning, detailers etc.

I really like the fork mounted pro-type stands that keep the bike level and at the perfect height to work on.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    I've owned a Park repair stand for 15 years. Its quality and utility has been well worth the price paid. A good work stand is an item that you will use for a long, long time...and the cost of a well built stand will be long forgotten while the quality will be appreciated each time it is used.

Don't penny pinch on a good work stand (but do find a nice sale).

Here's a Park PSC10 for $215 CD, including shipping (use the $25 off coupon code).

I have no experience with this particular stand, but if it's equal to the quality of my Park stand, then the price is well worth it.
    Last edited by tvad; 08-20-2015 at 06:52 AM.

What the what???
    Quote Originally Posted by TJay74 View Post
    I have the Park tools PCS-10 and it works very well, I also have the tray that goes with it.
    I have the little brother version... the PCS-9. I found it on sale a few years ago for less than $100 and I've done everything from cleaning to tear-downs to the bare frame with it and it's held up very well. It's also a clamp-style but all my posts and tubes have been aluminum, steel, or titanium so I haven't worried too much about crushing anything accidentally. If you can find one for a reasonable price, I have no problem recommending it.
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy... wait.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Great advice tvad.

Thank you!

RoadBikeReview Member
    I just pulled the trigger on this stand from Park Tools. Park Tool Team Race Workstand PRS20 | Chain Reaction Cycles

Thanks for the input everyone.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by dmason898 View Post
    I just pulled the trigger on this stand from Park Tools. Park Tool Team Race Workstand PRS20 | Chain Reaction Cycles

You will be pleased with the Park.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2015
    I got this. Works for me . 89.99 It folds easy and good for light duty.
    Aluminum Cycle Pro Mechanic Bicycle Repair Stand Rack Bike

Amazon.com: Aluminum Cycle Pro Mechanic Bicycle Repair Stand Rack Bike: Sports & Outdoors
    Isaiah 6:8
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”

And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

User is infamous around
    Quote Originally Posted by Mengtian View Post
    I got this. Works for me . 89.99 It folds easy and good for light duty.
    Aluminum Cycle Pro Mechanic Bicycle Repair Stand Rack Bike

Amazon.com: Aluminum Cycle Pro Mechanic Bicycle Repair Stand Rack Bike: Sports & Outdoors
    I have one as well. I'd advise you to use a light lube on the lower main tube where the lower clamp slides up and down when folding up. It will bind up easily, and the plastic isn't that sturdy except where it's purposely reinforced.
    Quote Originally Posted by chudak View Post
    It's made with a mixture of titanium, unobtanium and the freshly harvested dew from the sweaty brows of 16 YO suburban virgins.
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    Don't forget the ground up unicorn horn. That makes it magical.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I pretty much echo what tvad says -- it's not something worth going cheap on because you're going to have it forever. I've had mine for over 20 years. I use it all the time to clean my bikes.

Ditto with a truing stand. I went cheap and got the Park consumer stand years ago instead of the shop grade one. It works well enough for what I use it for (I've even built wheels with it), but every time I use it, while I tinker around trying to get the wheel centered, I think 'why didn't you spend the extra $100 cheap @ss'.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dmason898 View Post

I have the PCS-10/9 and I REALLY wish I had purchased the PRS-20 instead! so much more portable and no need to clamp carbon and then wrestle with the bike when torquing things. Great choice! Maybe I'll sell this one (NY NJ anyone? and spring for the PRS20).

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'll second the above.. Next one will be PRS20 or feedback sprint
    PO is a liberal echo chamber.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by tvad View Post
    I've owned a Park repair stand for 15 years. Its quality and utility has been well worth the price paid. A good work stand is an item that you will use for a long, long time...and the cost of a well built stand will be long forgotten while the quality will be appreciated each time it is used.

Don't penny pinch on a good work stand (but do find a nice sale).

Here's a Park PSC10 for $215 CD, including shipping (use the $25 off coupon code).

I have no experience with this particular stand, but if it's equal to the quality of my Park stand, then the price is well worth it.
    Very well said. I have to vouch for the PCS10 as well, I use mine for years now with no issues at all.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    My Park stand is a PSC-1 and looks like this one, although mine has simpler graphics. It has been indestructible.

Work Stand Recommendations-pcs-1-2.jpg
    Last edited by tvad; 08-20-2015 at 03:29 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2018
    I second the home made sawhorse repair stand.

'brifter' is a lame word.
    Quote Originally Posted by DougieDan View Post
    I second the home made sawhorse repair stand.
    You're full of good advice, aren't ya? And you're learning the fine art of thread dredging early too.
    I work for some bike racers
    I've got some bikes, some guns,
    and a bunch of skateboards