RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006

Wrecking Saddles

Somehow, I've managed to wreck a number of saddles by rubbing the nose off. This is my latest achievement (Prologo C.one50). This instance is worse than the previous times this has happened, and the fact that it's on both sides suggests that there isn't an easy positional fix. Does anyone have any thoughts?Wrecking Saddles-prologo-saddle-left.jpgWrecking Saddles-prologo-saddle-right.jpg

Bonus points to posts that are more constructive than pointing out that seat bags are against "The Rules."

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Nov 2008
    With the saddle slammed back like that I suspect some fit issues. Are you sitting on the nose?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tihsepa View Post
    With the saddle slammed back like that I suspect some fit issues. Are you sitting on the nose?
    That photo is a little bit deceiving. I think that the saddle has room for about one inch of adjustment aft of the current position. I think that holding everything else constant, using a regular setback seatpost would slap me right in the middle of the adjustment range.

I do not feel like I'm sitting on the nose.
    Last edited by Mr. Jones; 07-07-2013 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Keyboard operator error.

microdosed sarcasm
    Jul 2010
    How big are your thighs?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Local Hero View Post
    How big are your thighs?
    I haven't taken a tape measure to them. That may be the next step.

RoadBikeReview Member
    How many miles? I am starting to see the very beginning of a similar issue on my Selle Italia Kit Carbonio. It's not rubbed through yet, but I think it'll get there. This is after roughly 10,000 miles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Jones View Post
    I haven't taken a tape measure to them. That may be the next step.
    What for? There's nothing you can do about the size of your thighs anyway.

microdosed sarcasm
    Jul 2010
    You've worn the paint off your saddle rails and it looks like you've started wearing on the cosmetic bag under your saddle. Are you wearing through your shorts?

RoadBikeReview Member
    If I were to take a wild guess ... I'd say you are pedaling with your knees pointed inwards (pointing toward the top tube) over the top of your pedal stroke.

If this is the case, it would cause the rubbing problem you are experiencing on both sides of the saddle as well as the paint wear on the rails.

Assuming you are pedaling with an inward stroke ... the fix ... get a cleat fitting that allows straight up and down motion of the legs instead of an inward pedal stroke. This would likely involve the use of cleat wedges or wedges inside the shoes ... or possibly just a basic cleat adjustment.

With that said ... you may just have "Very" narrow hips and there is nothing that can be done about it other than continuing to replace saddles.
    Bikes:
    • 2012 CAAD10 (4)
    • 2013 Jamis Nova Race (winter training bike)
    • 1998 Marin East Peak - MTB
    • 2012 Argon 18 E-118

RoadBikeReview Member
    It is hard to tell from the photos but your saddle looks to be adjusted nose down quite a bit and also there is no room to push it back any further. To make an accurate guess about what is going on we would need to see photos of you on the bike, from multiple angles, at different points of the pedal stroke.

Without this information my best guess is your crotch is made of sandpaper. My advise is use a moisturizer and get a bike fit. Spend the money once to get your fit right or spend it twice on new saddles.

wyrd bi ful rd
    Or maybe another picture of the whole bike ...

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Nothing you can do unless you can bring yourself to go to an older saddle style. If the contact area would be larger, it would just get polished but not worn away like the thin edge on your minimal saddle.

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite upgraded with 32T cassette and does not have Stan's (yet)
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded with 36T cassette and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless. Considering a 1x10 upgrade
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra upgraded to 32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    2008/2009 Burton T6 156cm with Burton Triad Bindings & DC Judge boots

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tednugent View Post

I have one of these on my TT bike ... I like it a lot ... But I'm not sure it would make a good road bike saddle and the overall width wouldn't be good for the OP.

The saddle starts out wider than a normal road bike saddle and is almost a triangle from there back to the max width of 145 mm.
    Bikes:
    • 2012 CAAD10 (4)
    • 2013 Jamis Nova Race (winter training bike)
    • 1998 Marin East Peak - MTB
    • 2012 Argon 18 E-118

'brifter' is a lame word.
    That photo is a little bit deceiving. I think that the saddle has room for about one inch of adjustment aft of the current position. I think that holding everything else constant, using a regular setback seatpost would slap me right in the middle of the adjustment range.

I do not feel like I'm sitting on the nose.
    Want to explain how you think that is possible?
    i work for some bike racers...
    2013 Trek Madone 5.9 w/ '12 SRAM Red
    2010 Cervelo T1 sprint bike
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9
    oh, those belong in another forum

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    That photo is a little bit deceiving. I think that the saddle has room for about one inch of adjustment aft of the current position.
    Uh, no. The saddle is as far back as it will go. The rails are bending right in front of the saddle clamp.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    Uh, no. The saddle is as far back as it will go. The rails are bending right in front of the saddle clamp.
    Oops, I meant that there is one inch of space aft on the rails which would allow the saddle to be moved forward. In effect, I was trying to say that the rails are short.

is riding in MOPP4
    Quote Originally Posted by tihsepa View Post
    I agree with this. Are you riding out of the saddle frequently (ex. powering uphill), allowing your thighs to rub the saddle as you rock the bike from side to side? Is the saddle too high where your hips start rocking? You have to be feeling something because the pain has rubbed off on the saddle rails and seat post clamp. Or perhaps you just sweat a lot and the salt is acting as an abrasive in which case, this will happen no matter what saddle you buy. Perhaps wipe it down with a damp rag more often?
    Wake me up when it's alarm green.

microdosed sarcasm
    Jul 2010
    what is the setback on your seatpost?

It looks like a zero setback but Thomsons can get kinky

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    Hmm it seems there might be some underlying fit issues like others said. However, assuming that there isn't do you think placing some sort of tape (or frame protector stickers etc) on the areas that are problematic when you buy a new saddle would help reduce wear? Though I still can't really comprehend how your saddle rails and part of the seatpost itself are getting worn!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2013
    Somehow, I've managed to wreck a number of saddles by rubbing the nose off. This is my latest achievement (Prologo C.one50). This instance is worse than the previous times this has happened, and the fact that it's on both sides suggests that there isn't an easy positional fix. Does anyone have any thoughts
    It really does seem like you are sitting on the "nose" of the saddle or your just too big for the saddle. Adjust your possition or get a bigger saddle.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I don't know the C.One50 too well but looks like the nose has bent down a bit too. It's likely your pedaling form although I'm surprised you had no mention of shorts wear.

One idea I'd have is too apply a slippery-surfaced tape on those edges, like mentioned by another poster. It'd hard to tell if changing your riding form is a feasible idea.

Another idea is to try one of those solid carbon saddles if you can somehow find a test program or deal.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2012
    It vaguely looks like your have the saddle too far back and are riding on the tip of it most of the time.

I bent a couple MTB seats like that (nose down, friends started to call me gonzo) until I realized I had them a little too far back and putting a lot of pressure on the front of the saddle. No issues since I fixed it.