banned
    Jan 2011

Wtf? Rear Derailleur moving in & out when putting/removing QR skewer

Hi, thread title self explanatory. When I put my quick release skewer on my rear wheel and then tighten it with the hand lock lever, the rear derailleur seems to move 'in & out' (in the direction as if it were shifting.) I don't know if this is normal, but I know I had a crash recently so may that be the culprit? Also, the LBS had to take off and adjust the RD after the crash, so was it on them?

EDIT: Okay, I thought I found the culprit, but it's probably not it. The bolts for the rear D hanger were slightly loose. I also noticed they made a 'snapping' noise when I was tightening them so I removed them and lubed the threads with Tri-Flow. Put them back on, and then noticed one of the bolts was getting stripped on the head.

When I went to tighten the QR again, it still moved slightly. But even if the rear D hanger is not the culprit, should I get it inspected again regardless? I know I should definitely replace that stripped bolt, though.
    Last edited by 13thcyclist; 03-01-2012 at 11:35 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    Well, when you tighten your skewer, aren't you are squeezing the dropouts together? Which is why it appears that your RD is moving.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Check you derailleur hanger, it sounds loose.

banned
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by simonaway427 View Post
    Well, when you tighten your skewer, aren't you are squeezing the dropouts together? Which is why it appears that your RD is moving.
    Okay, I feel silly now. That may just be it. But I've never noticed such movement before when I tightened the QRs before the crash .

Whatever, I'll get the LBS to prove you right, hopefully.. Don't want to be spending more on repairs

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Thats normal. You can only ride and tune it with the Q/R tight so go with it.

Remember, if you go for a ride with your skewer loose, or missing your rear wheel it will effect your shifting a bit. A turn of the cable adjuster at the rear adjustment should fix this though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tihsepa View Post
    Remember, if you go for a ride with your skewer loose, or missing your rear wheel it will effect your shifting a bit. A turn of the cable adjuster at the rear adjustment should fix this though.
    Really? So then on those days when you decide to ride with your skewer tight or when you find your missing rear wheel, does that mean you have to adjust your derailleur again?
    TestPilot
    Time flies like an arrow
    Fruit flies like a banana

I'm sorry your mind is so easily boggled. - Otoman

RoadBikeReview Member
    who knew that losing a rear wheel would affect shifting?
    There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Quote Originally Posted by testpilot View Post
    Really? So then on those days when you decide to ride with your skewer tight or when you find your missing rear wheel, does that mean you have to adjust your derailleur again?
    Yah, but I get lifetime adjustments at the LBS so.....

Fierce Pancake
    Of course, riding fixed-gear means never having to worry about whether or not you remembered your rear wheel ...
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Poast of the Day™.

banned
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerjulio View Post
    who knew that losing a rear wheel would affect shifting?

Okay, so the shop said that lateral movement was normal for QR tightening & loosening. Guess I never noticed it before cause I wasn;t paranoid my entire bike would collapse after a crash.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011

Fix your derailleur hanger...

I wouldn't use Triflow to install the derailleur hanger mounting bolts. Remove the offending stripped bolt, clean the area with a degreaser, and use the proper Loctite that allows for future bolt removal. This should stay tight as long as you have your bike.

Those little screws have very little friction in their small amount of threads and have a greater tendency to work loose over time. Your skewer will hold everything together, but the slight amount of movement will wallow out the fittings and eventually cause the hanger or its mounting bolts to not fit correctly.

Cheers
    1984 Ciocc Aquila 84 - SLX with Super Record
    2000 KHS ST Pro - Single Speed with slicks
    2001 Diamond Back XSL Pro - mostly XT
    2006 Orbea Lobular with Ultegra and Ksyrium

banned
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Old_Time_Campy View Post
    I wouldn't use Triflow to install the derailleur hanger mounting bolts. Remove the offending stripped bolt, clean the area with a degreaser, and use the proper Loctite that allows for future bolt removal. This should stay tight as long as you have your bike.

Those little screws have very little friction in their small amount of threads and have a greater tendency to work loose over time. Your skewer will hold everything together, but the slight amount of movement will wallow out the fittings and eventually cause the hanger or its mounting bolts to not fit correctly.

Cheers
    Thanks for the Triflow tidbit. I wasn't aware that lube was not a good substitute for good ol grease . Just got some locktite at my LHS (Local Hardware Store ) Unfortunately, the RD hanger bolt is specific to a frame and I need to go to my Giant dealer for that. Oh well, they're good folk so they'll maybe toss me one for free .