RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005

yokozuna casing questions

putting new casings on my old klein for the first time in a waaaaaaay frickin' long time. got some yokozuna cables/casing, they seem really nice.

couple of questions:
    where the casing goes into the shift/brake lever assembly(shimano ultegra 6700) for the brakes, should i NOT use the metal end caps? they don't seem to fit into the slot on the shift/brake lever base for the casing well at all. should i run the casing bare ended into the assembly?

sidebar: is there another name the the shift/brake levers other than brifter? sorry, but that name just makes me wanna puke.

then, referencing that same metal cap, should i not use it on the brake either? i've got some old, orig ultegra 600 calipers, and the cap seems like it just barely goes into the barrel adjuster. the bare casing seems to fit in there nicely.

like i said, it's been a real, real, real long time since i replaced the casings, i'm assuming, but thought i'd better ask before i cut, that it's ok to cut the casing so i don't have a big 'ole hoop of excess sticking out above my brake calipers.

thanks for the help.

cheers, jason

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    Casing? Do you mean cable housing?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    yup.

Iohannes fac totum
    Mar 2008
    They're ferrules. I just installed a set of Yokozuna Reaction cables on my bike the other day. I have SRAM shifters though. I used a ferrule for the shifter casing going into the shifter, and I didn't use one on the brake casing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by madduck View Post
    sidebar: is there another name the the shift/brake levers other than brifter? sorry, but that name just makes me wanna puke.
    "Shifter" is fine I would say.