RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2006

Zipp carbon bottle cage durability? (versus King)

A silly thing to spend money on, but I'm having fun with it all anywhews:

I was looking at getting a pair of Zipp carbon bottle cages at a bit of discount. Who out there has had them for a good long while? Are they reliable, or going to break like many other carbon cages? It's a silly part to spend good money on I realize, but worse yet if they don't work well or don't last. I'm building up a new Moots titanium frame, and it looks like I'm getting a Zipp carbon stem & bar, so there is a wee bit of color/style coordination effort going on.

Another choice is King Cage Titanium. I could bead blast then in attempt to match the frame finish, but no access to the walnut shell blasting that Moots uses on their frames.

Cheers, thanks for your $.02. You might be saving another a little grief -

Diesel Engine
    Bottle cage...holds a bottle still while you ride your bike. Don't sweat it, buy it, use it, don't think about it. Reminds me of every carbon seatpost post I've ever read. Don't be a moreon about it, get what matches your bike/makes you feel good. Bead blast cages to match your frame - are you serious - it's a bike, not a painting...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2006
    Whelp, understood Mr. Mike. Tho like I said, I'm having some fun with it - but not if the silly thing's life expectancy is short. Seems like you have fun with all that yellow.... perhaps that way you can relate ........lateron

Moderatus Puisne
    1) Some people like bikes as tools only, others like them to look pretty. "It's a bike, not a painting" coming from a guy with a stem painted to match his frame in his avatar is kinda funny though.

2) Yeah, carbon cages are pretty silly.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005

Zipp cages

I bought a pair of Zipp bottle cages this spring for a new bike. At first I thought I was nuts for going with the carbon cages but I wanted some bling. Now after more than 2000 miles, I am very happy with them. They hold the bottle tightly & appear to be quite strong. They also look great & are very light. Better than standard cages? I really cant tell any difference. Cooler? I think so. It depends on what you want.

Adrenalina Italiana
    I am currently gathering components for my next build and was looking hard at these cages.They look good and are featherly light at 25grams. The Campagnolo fan came out in me and eventually opted for the Campag Record cages that came in 18grams. These will look the best tied in with the '07 Record group and the Bora wheels and even the silver graphics on the AX-Lightness saddle and post. I'm bit of a fanatic with such things and perhaps a bit silly too but hey...it's my bike.

On a side note and since your in the market for carbon cages.I've used the Elite Patao carbon cages on all of my other bikes and love them.The oldest set has seen the miles and bottles and still looks like I just put them on and have never burped up any bottle to date.
    Last edited by SPINDAWG; 11-03-2006 at 06:05 PM.
    " the odds are good, the goods are even odder."

Diesel Engine

Apologies...

...to the original poster for my non-productive "post" last night which is non-typical for me, my intent is to learn and be helpful here. Was in a bit of a bad mood and should have just passed this by, did not mean to sidetrack your thread nor attack your desire to dress up your new bike. I know several folks with the Zipp cages, none of them has had any issues over plenty of miles.

Thinking about this now, those sure are two totally different cages (Zipps and Kings) to compare from an aesthetic standpoint. If you want carbon, there is also BTP, Arundel, Profile and some others that may be cheaper than the Zipp. As far as more conventional cages, I would say something with color may stand out better than raw Ti or stainless - but today the only choices seem to be black or gunmetal.

To the other comments about my first post - guess my avatar does make for some funny irony given my caustic comments. Believe me, that stem color has nothing to do with 'bling' or coordination - it is a custom steel stem that was made with the frame by the builder and had to be painted; I saved a powdercoat set-up charge by getting everything one color.

In any case, enjoy your new cages...

Mike

banned
    I've been using the Zipp cages for a year, now, and they're holding up great. I haven't been particularly nice or gentle 'round 'em, either. Bottles don't pop out over bumpy stuff.

Lemur-ing
    Just curious, tho those who use carbon cages, do yours scratch?

My Bontrager XXX Lite cages have some scratches but I'm not concerned... They're there to hold my bottles...

Oh yeah, OP, you might wanna try bontrager.. Profile design has carbon too. Zipp carbon cages - My LBS owner uses em and no probs for as long as he did( a year i think so far)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2006

Went with King Ti for now

Howdo,

First, apology accepted, Mistah Prince. No worries.

I ended up buying King Ti cages for now. I made it over to a shop that stocked both, and just decided to go for something more conservative. I had been tempted by a pair of Zipp cages listed on ebay, but sheez they are going to sell for shop prices. I snapped bottles into Zipp and Arundel and they both have nice action. Even tho I'm building up with the new Campy Record stuff, somewhere on the web I read stacks of lousy reviews on their bottle cages. Those metal cages should pair up fine with the VaMoots frame that is coming in a few weeks.

I wuz thinking Zipp cages because I had my eye on that Zipp stem and Zipp Contour bars. I still like the eye appeal of that stem, but started to think about a Ritchey Streem bar instead. Since I've ordered a Ritchey WCS seatpost, then perhaps I outta get a lighter Ritchey aluminum stem off eBay for maybe $25 shipped, and save the rest of that Zipp stem moola.

Cheers, RalphE

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by uzziefly
    Just curious, tho those who use carbon cages, do yours scratch?

My Bontrager XXX Lite cages have some scratches but I'm not concerned... They're there to hold my bottles...

Oh yeah, OP, you might wanna try bontrager.. Profile design has carbon too. Zipp carbon cages - My LBS owner uses em and no probs for as long as he did( a year i think so far)
    I live in the desert so everything exposed to blowing dust and sand scratches. I don't mind the scratches and dings on my bike stuf.....after all, I really dig chicks with scars.

Lt.
    Brooklyn to Manhattan
    The Campy Record cages are crap. I had two of them break at the bottom tab. I guess the cages are light since they are not finished (for a lack of a better term) with clear coat.

At the moment I'm using one Campy Record (from warranty) and a Rav-X carbon cage. The other Campy Record I got from warranty will be hitting eBay next spring.

A friend of mine uses Zipps and has no issues.

Also, from what I've seen, the LBS prices are a lot higher than eBay. Are you sure you didn't see an auction for two cages (sold as a pair)?

Moderatus Puisne
    Hey, I think your stem looks sweet with your frame...

But the OP's bike might looks sweet with painted king cages.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004
    Specialized Rib Pro

I've used a lot of cages. I bought two Specialized Rib Pro's at my LBS early this year. They look nice, made out of delrin, santoprene (a fancy plastic). They are flexible, durable, lightweight (32g's), hold the bottle well and look nice (have a carbon appearance). I tried out some Taxc Tao and went back to the Specialized.

The Rib Pros go for $15-$20.

Work for me.

Diesel Engine
    Quote Originally Posted by Argentius
    But the OP's bike might looks sweet with painted king cages.
    He should have bought the stainless cages then, no one would ever know the difference . Powdercoating would be sweet.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2006

o'er the top

Got it together, so fortunately the time for using it is here and the time for fussing around is behind. Here's the King Ti cages, glass bead blasted like the factory frame finish. Quite the match, eh? - reb