Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Corenfa View Post
    Not sure where all the Zipp and SRAM bashing is coming from. I use SRAM Force on my road/racing bike and love it. I've even hard wrecked it a few times and my shifters are scuffed as hell but fine. I never mis-shift, etc.

As for my wheels - Zipp 303 Firecrest. I'll have to check the hubs, but since I just got them last year, I doubt they're affected. The braking is not a problem at all on these wheels. I've used them in wet weather and on extreme downhills (I live in Seattle, we have plenty of both) and no problems. I rode a group ride last weekend at a slower pace so my kiddo could ride with me. We did some big descents (1.2 miles, 8% downhill) and I was on my brakes almost the whole time to keep with the slower group. I felt my brake track at the end, still cool to the touch and no extra squealing or chattering.

I use my 303s for almost every ride now, never even throwing my aluminum clinchers on in the wet anymore. They work great in all conditions and can take a serious beating.

Just sayin...
    Lots of Ford Pintos owners had no problems either.

Granted it's mostly anacdotal but if you've wasted enough time on the internet like a lot of us have and seen the user reports of fails it's no mystery where the Sram/Zipp bashing comes from.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    Learned to drive in a '72 Pinto, and my mother loved it so much she bought a new one five years later. Go figure.

Granted it's mostly anacdotal but if you've wasted enough time on the internet like a lot of us have and seen the user reports of fails it's no mystery where the Sram/Zipp bashing comes from.
    I'm a strong believer in the magnification of complaints on the internet; a few can appear as dozens.

However, the Zipp Model 88 hub recall changed my view and legitimized internet Zipp hub complaints, and although I never had any quality issues with my Zipp hubs, I've rebuilt my Zipp Firecrest rims with DT Swiss hubs (because I really like the rims).

I use Zipp Tangente brake pads, but when those wear out, I'll be switching to Swiss Stop Black Prince pads for carbon (Zipp approved...will not void warranty).
    Last edited by tvad; 03-04-2015 at 12:59 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tvad View Post
    Learned to drive in a '72 Pinto, and my mother loved it so much she bought a new one five years later. Go figure.

I saw a mint condition pinto wagon with the fake wood paneling parked in front of a liquor store in NH last summer. When I say mint I mean like never seen the light of day before. Then, expecting the owner to be a bit 'ecentric' out comes Joe Average normal guy and hops in like no big deal he's driving around an early 70's mint pinto wagon with fake wood paneling in 2014.

Okay, you had to be there but it seriously made my day that day.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    I saw a mint condition pinto wagon with the fake wood paneling parked in front of a liquor store in NH last summer. When I say mint I mean like never seen the light of day before. Then, expecting the owner to be a bit 'ecentric' out comes Joe Average normal guy and hops in like no big deal he's driving around an early 70's mint pinto wagon with fake wood paneling in 2014.

Okay, you had to be there but it seriously made my day that day.
    Beauty! Which reminded me that while I learned to drive my mother's automatic '72 Pinto, I learned to drive stick in a '72 Red Pinto wagon owned by my boss (yes...with fake wood paneling). I had to make deliveries in that red bomber, which was interesting on snowy upstate NY roads.

Good times!

Pay heed people
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Pirx View Post
    That's great to hear, so maybe my distrust of those carbon brake tracks is unjustified. We'll see. Out of curiosity, what pads do you use?
    I use the platinum pads that came with the Zipps.
    I've got over 1K miles on them and they still look great. I do clean them pretty regularly and rough them up with then get a little too smooth looking.

Pay heed people
    Jun 2014

Yeah, I've heard lots of anecdotal evidence, but I've never seen one picture of a failed Zipp rim and only 1 of a failed hub. I've heard LOTS of stories about "I had this buddy who rode with this other buddy who was bombing a descent at a fondo where carbon rims are outlawed, and his wheel done blowed up while he was going 112MPH in a switchback. He got up and walked away. That's the last time I use anything carbon."

If carbon wheels had as many problems as they're reported to on the interwebs, Zipp, Enve, Easton, Mavic, Reynolds, and dozens others would be out of business and we'd be hearing about the class action lawsuits.

RoadBikeReview Member

Zipp manning up and doing a full recall

I've personally had one hub failure, now hubs two recalled, and four rim replacements, only one of which was from a crash.

That's not bashing, that's just my story with them.
    Last edited by Fireform; 03-04-2015 at 08:35 PM.
    Arguments among misinformed people do not constitute a "debate."
    --Kerry Irons

"Atheism is a religion like not collecting stamps is a hobby."
    --BianchiJoe

Cervelo S3/Dura Ace
    Felt B2Pro/SRAM
    Cannondale CAAD10/105

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2015
    Update: I talked to my LBS this morning. He called me after having talked to the guys at Zipp in Indiana. Turns out they found a crack in the carbon part of the rim, so they don't want to relace a new hub to my old rim. They gave me three options:
    1. Replace my 303 with a 404 front wheel. Apparently those are still available with the aluminum brake track.
    2. Replace my 303 with a brand new 303 Firecrest, all-carbon wheel
    3. Third option would have involved replacing both rear rim and front wheel so that the rims would match, but that wasn't workable since I have a Powertap in my rear, and Zipp doesn't build wheels with Powertaps anymore.

I'm not really thrilled about the all-carbon wheel, but going 404 would have really hurt versatility: Even the 303 wasn't so great at 20+mph crosswinds. On the other hand, keep in mind that I had purchased that front wheel in May of 2009. I really don't think I can complain too much about having an almost six-year old wheel with 12,000 miles on it replaced with a brand-new 2015 303 Firecrest. Bottom line: I still think Zipp/SRAM have done right by me. I find it very hard to think up any even remotely realistic way to handle this any better. My 2 cents.
    Hi. - Zipp/SRAM have said that the carbon rim on my 303 (with less than 2000km on it) is failing (carbon failure and confirmed no fault of the rider) but have only given me one option - which is to replace my wheels (303/404) with a set of Zipp 60s. I'm not happy at all since this is zipps budget set on worse hubs. Can you let ME know what wheel set they offered you? Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member

My 202 and 808 are on their way back to me with new hubs.
    --Kerry Irons

--BianchiJoe

Cervelo S3/Dura Ace
    Felt B2Pro/SRAM
    Cannondale CAAD10/105

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pcurtis View Post
    Hi. - Zipp/SRAM have said that the carbon rim on my 303 (with less than 2000km on it) is failing (carbon failure and confirmed no fault of the rider) but have only given me one option - which is to replace my wheels (303/404) with a set of Zipp 60s. I'm not happy at all since this is zipps budget set on worse hubs. Can you let ME know what wheel set they offered you? Thanks
    I'm going to get a brand new 303 Firecrest, and they would have offered me to replace the rear rim (a 404) with a new one too, if it wasn't for the Powertap.

A replacement with Zipp 60s is completely unacceptable; those wheels sell for less than half of what their carbon wheels go. Are you dealing with them directly? I just let my LBS handle things.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    I'm going to get a brand new 303 Firecrest, and they would have offered me to replace the rear rim (a 404) with a new one too, if it wasn't for the Powertap.
    If Zipp was willing to replace the rear 404 rim because it was faulty, then I don't understand why they wouldn't still replace it and allow you to keep the Powertap hub. That way you could rebuild the 404 with your Powertap. Zipp's policy in this scenario makes no sense to me. Maybe I don't understand the 404 situation...specifically what was wrong with the wheel.
    Last edited by tvad; 03-05-2015 at 06:05 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member

Fwiw, zipp will not talk to their customers directly. They only talk to the dealers now.

Replacement with 60s is ridiculous. Insist on replacement with 303/404s.
    --Kerry Irons

--BianchiJoe

Cervelo S3/Dura Ace
    Felt B2Pro/SRAM
    Cannondale CAAD10/105

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireform View Post
    Fwiw, zipp will not talk to their customers directly. They only talk to the dealers now.

Replacement with 60s is ridiculous. Insist on replacement with 303/404s.
    I'm liaising through my LBS but due to their silly offer of a set of 60s I felt the need to contact SRAM and zipp directly. That was a week ago now. Zipp haven't replied. SRAM have replied but wth the message that they will on deal with the LBS and not me. However I did manage to at least say that a set of 60s was not a fair replacement for a virtually unused 303/404 set. They did say they were considering my situation but silence since.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tvad View Post
    If Zipp was willing to replace the rear 404 rim because it was faulty,
    No, that rear wheel is perfectly fine. It's only the front wheel that had the recalled hub. The replacement of the rear would have been purely for aesthetics (to better match the new front wheel), but, like I said, it's a different wheel anyway so it makes no difference to me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    No, that rear wheel is perfectly fine. It's only the front wheel that had the recalled hub. The replacement of the rear would have been purely for aesthetics (to better match the new front wheel), but, like I said, it's a different wheel anyway so it makes no difference to me.
    I see. Nice of Zipp to offer to replace a wheel when there was nothing wrong with it.

Forever a Student
    SRAM Recalls Zipp 88v6, 88v7 and 88v8 Front Hubs - Bikerumor

It's not just the older wheels/hubs folks. It's the new ones too. And the skewers.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    Very glad I replaced my Zipp 88v7 hubs with DT Swiss DT240.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post

It's not just the older wheels/hubs folks. It's the new ones too. And the skewers.
    I have the 2013 101s and 404FC wheelsets.

SRAM/Zipp should the rear hubs too...might as well!
    Last edited by kookieCANADA; 03-16-2016 at 06:10 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member

Made in Merica!

Hope their disc wheels are ok.. Different different beast I guess
    Last edited by spdntrxi; 03-16-2016 at 06:49 PM.
    PO is a liberal echo chamber.

Forever a Student
    Zipp recalls 18,530 quick-release skewers, expands hub recall - BikeRadar

SRAM is recalling some 18,530 quick-release skewers that came on Zipp wheels sold between March 2015 and December 2015. There is no code on the affected quick releases, however they can be identified by their shape and the absence of a printed mark on the back center of the lever. In related news, SRAM expanded its recall of Zipp 88 front hubs to include 88v6, 88v7 or 88v8 models as well.
    Campagnolo reps went so far as to tell us at their big press reveal that the Italians have observed the competition and have “no intention of ever going through a product recall”.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post

Ok, have read the official release, but is it basically every Firecrest front wheel sold up until the v9 hub?

Some of the previous comments, sounds like the wheels go back to Zipp, other words the LBS is not relacing?

I've got a 404 and 202 that will get brought in. 404 is on the TT bike, 202 gets miles constantly.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2013
    This is a link to the official Sram/ Zipp release http://www.zipp.com/_media/pdfs/supp...03_16_2016.pdf

Looks like my 202 Firecrest will be going back, thankfully it seems my 404 Firestrike is ok

mrwirey
    I'll be taking my 101, 303 Firecrest, and 808 Firecrest front wheels to my LBS on Monday. I also have a set of skewers, which came with my new 303 Firecrest disc wheelset, which are on the Zipp recall list. I'm four for four. I'm hoping for a quick and painless resolution to this issue. I like my Zipps and I want very much to remain a satisfied customer.

Very respectfully, Tim
    "Anything can be a torch if you set it on fire"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2013
    It should hopefully be fairly painless, I guess how quick depends on where in the queue your wheels end up by the time they get back to Zipp. I suspect they are going to have a lot of wheels back in the shop sooner or later.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by TmB123 View Post
    This is a link to the official Sram/ Zipp release http://www.zipp.com/_media/pdfs/supp...03_16_2016.pdf

Looks like my 202 Firecrest will be going back, thankfully it seems my 404 Firestrike is ok
    Another link, it clearly shows the timeline of their hubs: Support | Identify Zipp Products | Hub Timeline | Zipp - Speed Weaponry

After much reading, I do think everything with a flanged hub is recalled, thats a lot of wheels. These hubs were sold from 2009 to sometime in 2014 or 2015.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast