Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    in my case in Canada, I gave my wheel to my LBS and they shipped it to the distributor here and they will receive the hubs from zipp to do the job directly in here.
    2010 Cannondale super six HM liquigas (sram red) sold
    2009 Cannondale caad 9 BB30 Team (sram red)
    2008 Cannondale caad 9 (dura ace) sold
    2007 Cannondale caad 8 (ultegra) sold
    2007 Cannondale six 13 team bb30 (sram red)
    2006 Opus vivace (ultegra) sold

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2013
    Took my wheel in this morning, so now we play the waiting game

Forever a Student
    Quote Originally Posted by TmB123 View Post
    Took my wheel in this morning, so now we play the waiting game
    May the force be with you.
    Let's hope it doesn't take forever.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post
    I think they make sub-par equipment and use the public as unwitting beta testers.
    Utterly clueless statement. I have some 202s with the V9 hubs and they have been brilliant.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post
    May the force be with you.
    Let's hope it doesn't take forever.
    i guess it will depend on how long the LBS waits before sending a shipment of wheels off, how long before news of the recall spreads and people do something about it, and where my wheels land in the workshop with potentially 1000's of others. Fortunately I'm not riding those wheels at the moment, so not super critical for me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    i guess it will depend on how long the LBS waits before sending a shipment of wheels off, how long before news of the recall spreads and people do something about it, and where my wheels land in the workshop with potentially 1000's of others....

Stopped at the LBS today, wheels in hand. They had seen the news over the weekend, and called SRAM today for some direction. They have no useful information at this time.

I agree, there will be a flood of wheels sent back to Zipp, how many thousands? Every front wheel built between 2009 and late 2014. Thats alot.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2013
    Completely unrelated, but I am selling another set of wheels privately, I rang around to all the local shops trying to find some used wheel boxes to ship them in (usually there are plenty). None of the shops have any as they are all shipping Zipp wheels back!

RoadBikeReview Member
    If people are not running Campagnolo or Dura Ace skewers they are retarded. They are the ONLY acceptable skewer. Saving weight in a skewer is as dumb as doing it on a seat. A seat however is just less dangerous.
    Last edited by Notvintage; 03-22-2016 at 07:39 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 67fb View Post
    ... there will be a flood of wheels sent back to Zipp, how many thousands? Every front wheel built between 2009 and late 2014. Thats alot.
    Found a little information on the recall from last year, which was limited to the original 88 front hub, that had the large flange. A Velonews article claims that number was 12,000. That hub was available for part of 2009 thru May 2010.

The expanded recall of all flanged hubs thru intro of the V9 front hub will be a huge number of wheels. The plan is to inspect, and rebuild each individual customers wheel? Deal with all the possible variations and individual issues? Why not swap, at the LBS? If you bought a set, swap the set....

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    The CPSC site says something like 54000 wheels affected with another couple thousand in Canada.

For those of you who took to LBS - Are these places Zipp/SRAM dealers? Mine is not, stopping by on my ride today to ask, but curious how that worked out for others.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2013
    Is the 54000 wheels just in the US?
    I'm in Australia and imagine there are "one or two" sets floating around here too.

I took mine back to the LBS where I bought my bike, they are a Specialized concept store but do still sell Zipp wheels.

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    I think 54k is the number sold in US.

I stopped by the LBS yesterday. Guy made a call to SRAM, shop will ship the wheels (I have a 202 and 303) and SRAM will replace the hub, re-lace with new spokes. I'm dropping them off today, will post with updates. I'm expecting a couple of weeks turnaround.

The shop offered a loaner wheel, but I am Imelda Marcos like where it comes to bike parts.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Just found out my Zipp 303's are part of the recall. LBS is sending the wheel back to SRAM and they will a) rebuild the wheel for me with a new hub, OR b) provide a new wheel to me if there are any issues with my 303 rim.

Who knows how long it will take but I guess the good news is I didn't have a crash!

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've sent my wheels last Friday and received today. . Wow amazing service

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2013
    I was just told by my LBS that SRAM should already have my wheels and they are targeting a 3 day turnaround on them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I was just told by my LBS that SRAM should already have my wheels and they are targeting a 3 day turnaround on them.
    Mine, the job has been done directly here in Canada by the distributor, lambert cycle.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2013
    Got my wheel back yesterday, new hub and spokes, 2 weeks with Easter in the middle, so not too bad.

mrwirey
    Got my wheel back yesterday, new hub and spokes, 2 weeks with Easter in the middle, so not too bad.
    I'm at two weeks as of today ... w8n on three wheels (101, FC 303, FC 808). Maybe mine will come in this week as well. You give me hope.

V/r, Tim
    "Anything can be a torch if you set it on fire"

mrwirey
    All,
    I got my wheels back from my LBS yesterday. New hubs and spokes on my original rims. It took about two weeks from flash to bang. There were letters of apology stapled to each wheel, which was nice.

My only issue: The wheels are no longer straight and true like they once were. They were dead on perfect when I took them to my LBS, but now they are off just enough to irritate me. I'll ride them once each then put them on the truing stand and true them myself.

Rant done. Back to regular programming.

Very respectfully, Tim
    "Anything can be a torch if you set it on fire"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006
    Geez. Looks like they hired a bunch of labour to handle the recall volume and quality suffers. Getting a front wheel true and even is a pretty easy task.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mrwirey View Post

My only issue: The wheels are no longer straight and true like they once were. They were dead on perfect when I took them to my LBS, but now they are off just enough to irritate me. I'll ride them once each then put them on the truing stand and true them myself.
    That's not good - maybe they hired a bunch of back packers to do the work....
    I never checked mine, just put them all back together and stuck them back in their wheel bags, hopefully they are ok!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    My 303 had the 88 huds and should be cover. So I took them to the LBS and they confirmed the front was covered. They decided to check the rear wheel and while flexing the spokes the rear flang broke and 4 spokes came loose. The SRAM rep was there the day I took the wheels and he was informed that if both were not covered I would be on Dura Ace and 240 hubs with debranded rims. SRAM sponsors my team. After some back and forth SRAM is covering both.
    Lets hope they do a good job. SRAM can't many more hits to their rep.

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    Got mine back today, a 202 and 303. Not quite a 3 week turnaround. The 202 is true and spins nicely. Problems with the 303. It was out of true, no big deal popped it on the truing stand and straightened it out but when I mounted it on the bike it made a strange noise like a brake rub. Still there after checking the brakes and remounting the tire. Close inspection reveals one of the spokes isn't seated properly. Probably an easy fix but I'm going to take it back and let the LBS/SRAM deal with it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006
    Our group had 10 sets go in to the lbs two weeks ago. First two came back yesterday. One had perfectly even tensions and was perfectly true, second was true as well, but tensions were all over the place. I evened out tensions and trued the wheel again. All good now. So bottom line is that with all that extra volume of work, the quality is variable and it's worth it to check when they come back. For info, I use the park tm-1 and zipp front wheels should be about "13" on the park. That translates into about 100 kg tension.

Road Warrior
    Got my 101 front back today also, perfect, New hub and spokes!!! Thanks Zipp!! Your definitely on the top of the list for my next set!! Worked this transaction through "Outspokin" Augusta,, one of the great LBSs

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast