Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Zipp manning up and doing a full recall

25K views 89 replies 29 participants last post by  Bogie 
#1 · (Edited)
SRAM recalls older Zipp 88 front hubs - BikeRadar

SRAM recalls older Zipp 88 front hubs
Potential wheel failure affects 12,000 units, including 303 and 404 models

SRAM is recalling Zipp 88 front hubs sold between October 2008 and December 2010. This comes after two reports of collapsed front wheels that resulted in injury due to a failure at the front hub’s flange ring. This recall affects an approximate 12,000 units.

Those affected feature a silver alloy hub shell. The outside flange ring is gray in the standard option and blue, gold, gray, pink or red in the ZedTech options. The diameter of the two clinch nuts is approximately 1 inch.

Simply check your hub to see

The first version of the 88 hub is the only one affected by the recall. The first version has the Z logo on the flange ring. The other versions – not affected by this recall – do not have the Z logo on the flange ring.

Certain types of complete bikes from Specialized, Giant, Felt, Orbea and Cannondale were sold with Zipp wheels with these hubs. A listing of these brands and their model types can be viewed at the link below.

This series of hub was used in all performance Zipp wheelsets from the 101 up through the 303 and 404 to the 1080. Some of affected hubs were on wheels sold separately.

SRAM said affected hubs will be replaced free of charge.

Those in the USA affected are advised to contact SRAM at (800) 346-2928 between 9 a.m. and 8 p.m. ET Monday through Thursday and 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. ET on Friday, or visit www.sram.com or Zipp - Speed Weaponry and click on Recall Notice for more information.

Outside of the USA, those affected are advised to contact their original point of purchase or local bike store for more information and to arrange a return. We've been told by SRAM Australia that dealers will be reimbursed for their time.

For more information of the recall, visit the CPSC website.

SRAM Recalls Zipp 88 Bicycle Wheel Hubs Due to Crash and Injury Hazards | CPSC.gov

See less See more
#2 ·
Now if they would just recall some of the crappy rear hubs. A guy on my training ride is on one. It clangs and clatters more than a 1988 Honda Civic. On (2) separate occasions he couldn't even get home, had to call the wifey.

Really embarrassed for the guy.

#5 ·
I'm guessing the thread title is misleading.

I'm guessing that SRAM/Zipp isn't actually manning up at all, I think I'm giving them too much credit.

I'm guessing that the CPSC has issued a mandatory recall on these hubs. If Zipp was doing this voluntarily it would be a lot more than just these hubs. And the reports say that there's been two reported failures to the CPSC which prompted this recall, so...

I think SRAM/Zipp is a dirtball company, always have. I think they make sub-par equipment and use the public as unwitting beta testers.

#7 ·
I have an alloy Zipp post and stem and am getting some carbon bars of theirs. I would never ride their wheels though. Being a mechanic, I've seen a constant stream of failures of their products. Constant. Sram has given our shop more trouble than Zipp but both are terrible. Failing shifters, failing brakes, failing hubs, serious things. They always replace things though no questions asked. Problem is we never stop seeing failures.

#12 ·
My 808 is affected by this. I just took it to my local dealer and am waiting to hear. I've been very underwhelmed with zipp customer service in the past.

#20 ·
They gave me that option (that was the third one), but I decided against it. My rear wheel is completely different anyway (a 404 with a Powertap hub, versus the 303 front wheel, plus I usually have a different tire in the rear as well), so having identical rims is more or less irrelevant.

#24 ·
Not sure where all the Zipp and SRAM bashing is coming from. I use SRAM Force on my road/racing bike and love it. I've even hard wrecked it a few times and my shifters are scuffed as hell but fine. I never mis-shift, etc.

As for my wheels - Zipp 303 Firecrest. I'll have to check the hubs, but since I just got them last year, I doubt they're affected. The braking is not a problem at all on these wheels. I've used them in wet weather and on extreme downhills (I live in Seattle, we have plenty of both) and no problems. I rode a group ride last weekend at a slower pace so my kiddo could ride with me. We did some big descents (1.2 miles, 8% downhill) and I was on my brakes almost the whole time to keep with the slower group. I felt my brake track at the end, still cool to the touch and no extra squealing or chattering.

I use my 303s for almost every ride now, never even throwing my aluminum clinchers on in the wet anymore. They work great in all conditions and can take a serious beating.

Just sayin...

#32 · (Edited)
I've personally had one hub failure, now hubs two recalled, and four rim replacements, only one of which was from a crash.

That's not bashing, that's just my story with them.

#34 ·
My 202 and 808 are on their way back to me with new hubs.

#37 ·
Fwiw, zipp will not talk to their customers directly. They only talk to the dealers now.

Replacement with 60s is ridiculous. Insist on replacement with 303/404s.

#38 ·
I'm liaising through my LBS but due to their silly offer of a set of 60s I felt the need to contact SRAM and zipp directly. That was a week ago now. Zipp haven't replied. SRAM have replied but wth the message that they will on deal with the LBS and not me. However I did manage to at least say that a set of 60s was not a fair replacement for a virtually unused 303/404 set. They did say they were considering my situation but silence since.

#45 ·
Zipp recalls 18,530 quick-release skewers, expands hub recall - BikeRadar

SRAM is recalling some 18,530 quick-release skewers that came on Zipp wheels sold between March 2015 and December 2015. There is no code on the affected quick releases, however they can be identified by their shape and the absence of a printed mark on the back center of the lever. In related news, SRAM expanded its recall of Zipp 88 front hubs to include 88v6, 88v7 or 88v8 models as well.
Campagnolo reps went so far as to tell us at their big press reveal that the Italians have observed the competition and have “no intention of ever going through a product recall”.

#48 ·
I'll be taking my 101, 303 Firecrest, and 808 Firecrest front wheels to my LBS on Monday. I also have a set of skewers, which came with my new 303 Firecrest disc wheelset, which are on the Zipp recall list. I'm four for four. I'm hoping for a quick and painless resolution to this issue. I like my Zipps and I want very much to remain a satisfied customer.

Very respectfully, Tim

#51 ·
in my case in Canada, I gave my wheel to my LBS and they shipped it to the distributor here and they will receive the hubs from zipp to do the job directly in here.

#60 ·
The CPSC site says something like 54000 wheels affected with another couple thousand in Canada.

For those of you who took to LBS - Are these places Zipp/SRAM dealers? Mine is not, stopping by on my ride today to ask, but curious how that worked out for others.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.