Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Forever a Student

Zipp manning up and doing a full recall

SRAM recalls older Zipp 88 front hubs - BikeRadar

SRAM recalls older Zipp 88 front hubs
    Potential wheel failure affects 12,000 units, including 303 and 404 models

SRAM is recalling Zipp 88 front hubs sold between October 2008 and December 2010. This comes after two reports of collapsed front wheels that resulted in injury due to a failure at the front hub’s flange ring. This recall affects an approximate 12,000 units.

Those affected feature a silver alloy hub shell. The outside flange ring is gray in the standard option and blue, gold, gray, pink or red in the ZedTech options. The diameter of the two clinch nuts is approximately 1 inch.

Simply check your hub to see

The first version of the 88 hub is the only one affected by the recall. The first version has the Z logo on the flange ring. The other versions – not affected by this recall – do not have the Z logo on the flange ring.

Certain types of complete bikes from Specialized, Giant, Felt, Orbea and Cannondale were sold with Zipp wheels with these hubs. A listing of these brands and their model types can be viewed at the link below.

This series of hub was used in all performance Zipp wheelsets from the 101 up through the 303 and 404 to the 1080. Some of affected hubs were on wheels sold separately.

SRAM said affected hubs will be replaced free of charge.

Those in the USA affected are advised to contact SRAM at (800) 346-2928 between 9 a.m. and 8 p.m. ET Monday through Thursday and 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. ET on Friday, or visit www.sram.com or Zipp - Speed Weaponry and click on Recall Notice for more information.

Outside of the USA, those affected are advised to contact their original point of purchase or local bike store for more information and to arrange a return. We've been told by SRAM Australia that dealers will be reimbursed for their time.

For more information of the recall, visit the CPSC website.

SRAM Recalls Zipp 88 Bicycle Wheel Hubs Due to Crash and Injury Hazards | CPSC.gov
    Last edited by MMsRepBike; 02-12-2015 at 10:13 PM.
    use a torque wrench

Velocipediologist
    Now if they would just recall some of the crappy rear hubs. A guy on my training ride is on one. It clangs and clatters more than a 1988 Honda Civic. On (2) separate occasions he couldn't even get home, had to call the wifey.

Really embarrassed for the guy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Darn, I have one of these in my front wheel. I'll call them today so I have the wheel back by the time the season starts. Thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    5-7 years after the fact is a little late, don't you think?

Forever a Student
    I'm guessing the thread title is misleading.

I'm guessing that SRAM/Zipp isn't actually manning up at all, I think I'm giving them too much credit.

I'm guessing that the CPSC has issued a mandatory recall on these hubs. If Zipp was doing this voluntarily it would be a lot more than just these hubs. And the reports say that there's been two reported failures to the CPSC which prompted this recall, so...

I think SRAM/Zipp is a dirtball company, always have. I think they make sub-par equipment and use the public as unwitting beta testers.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post
    I think SRAM/Zipp is a dirtball company, always have. I think they make sub-par equipment and use the public as unwitting beta testers.
    I like Zipp Firecrest rims, and I use a Zipp stem and Zipp carbon seat post. All those function really well.

I hope this doesn't turn into yet another vitriolic Zipp bashing thread.

Forever a Student
    I have an alloy Zipp post and stem and am getting some carbon bars of theirs. I would never ride their wheels though. Being a mechanic, I've seen a constant stream of failures of their products. Constant. Sram has given our shop more trouble than Zipp but both are terrible. Failing shifters, failing brakes, failing hubs, serious things. They always replace things though no questions asked. Problem is we never stop seeing failures.
    use a torque wrench

Pathlete and Pedalphile
    I have an alloy Zipp post and stem and am getting some carbon bars of theirs. I would never ride their wheels though. Being a mechanic, I've seen a constant stream of failures of their products. Constant. Sram has given our shop more trouble than Zipp but both are terrible. Failing shifters, failing brakes, failing hubs, serious things. They always replace things though no questions asked. Problem is we never stop seeing failures.
    How much does Shimano pay you to trash Sram?
    If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Not in my experience, at all. I once had issues with a two-year-old rear wheel constantly breaking spokes (after doing fine for more than a year). It was well out of warranty, but they took the wheel back, re-laced the entire wheel (all new spokes, and put new decals on the rim as well), and shipped it back to me, all for free with a two-week total turn-around time.

Also, I just talked to one of their reps, and they said they'll check if the rim is suitable for rebuilding with the new hub, and if not they'll send me a brand-new wheel. Not sure what I could complain about...

P.S.: Dang, I just checked, and they're not selling 303s with aluminum braking surfaces anymore. I really hope I can keep my old rim. Not interested in getting a full-carbon wheel and dealing with the braking issues afterwards...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Pirx View Post
    Not in my experience, at all. I once had issues with a two-year-old rear wheel constantly breaking spokes (after doing fine for more than a year). It was well out of warranty, but they took the wheel back, re-laced the entire wheel (all new spokes, and put new decals on the rim as well), and shipped it back to me, all for free with a two-week total turn-around time.

Also, I just talked to one of their reps, and they said they'll check if the rim is suitable for rebuilding with the new hub, and if not they'll send me a brand-new wheel. Not sure what I could complain about...

P.S.: Dang, I just checked, and they're not selling 303s with aluminum braking surfaces anymore. I really hope I can keep my old rim. Not interested in getting a full-carbon wheel and dealing with the braking issues afterwards...
    They would probably send you the Zipp 30s with the Swiss steal bearings.

Pooped a refrigerator.
    Quote Originally Posted by tvad View Post
    5-7 years after the fact is a little late, don't you think?
    A lot of companies don't issue recalls until there is a substantial threat of crippling litigation.
    Ghurarmu shirkush’ agh azgushu. Zant ya apakurizak. Gűl-n’ anakhizak.

RoadBikeReview Member

Zipp manning up and doing a full recall

My 808 is affected by this. I just took it to my local dealer and am waiting to hear. I've been very underwhelmed with zipp customer service in the past.
    Arguments among misinformed people do not constitute a "debate."
    --Kerry Irons

"Atheism is a religion like not collecting stamps is a hobby."
    --BianchiJoe

Cervelo S3/Dura Ace
    Felt B2Pro/SRAM
    Cannondale CAAD10/105

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Keoki View Post
    They would probably send you the Zipp 30s with the Swiss steal bearings.
    Not going to happen. I'd have a serious problem with that if they did.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    I like Zipp Firecrest rims, and I use a Zipp stem and Zipp carbon seat post. All those function really well.

I hope this doesn't turn into yet another vitriolic Zipp bashing thread.
    For what they charged for a set of wheels, they should be handing out loaners.

Zipp is the American Mavic. They can do great rims, but their hubs are oddly sub par.
    It's a fire road.............
    I'm on a road bike..........

They have enough in common to blast down it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    For what they charged for a set of wheels, they should be handing out loaners.

Zipp is the American Mavic. They can do great rims, but their hubs are oddly sub par.
    Then upgrade the hubs to DT Swiss or Chris King like Tvad did on his 202 FCs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    Not sure about their rear hubs, but that front hub has been great. Hmm, well, that's not counting the fact that it turns out that it could have exploded on me any time... But, anyway, other than that little detail it's been unbelievably smooth over the about 12,000 miles I have on it, with exactly zero maintenance.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2015

If Zipp was really manning up they would be replacing rear hubs too.

Not sure about their rear hubs, but that front hub has been great. Hmm, well, that's not counting the fact that it turns out that it could have exploded on me any time... But, anyway, other than that little detail it's been unbelievably smooth over the about 12,000 miles I have on it, with exactly zero maintenance.
    A quick Google shows rear hub flange failures. Against all wheel building advice they radial laced the drive side putting too much stress on the flanges.Zipp manning up and doing a full recall-zipp-188-hub.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Not going to happen. I'd have a serious problem with that if they did.
    Update: I talked to my LBS this morning. He called me after having talked to the guys at Zipp in Indiana. Turns out they found a crack in the carbon part of the rim, so they don't want to relace a new hub to my old rim. They gave me three options:
    1. Replace my 303 with a 404 front wheel. Apparently those are still available with the aluminum brake track.
    2. Replace my 303 with a brand new 303 Firecrest, all-carbon wheel
    3. Third option would have involved replacing both rear rim and front wheel so that the rims would match, but that wasn't workable since I have a Powertap in my rear, and Zipp doesn't build wheels with Powertaps anymore.

I'm not really thrilled about the all-carbon wheel, but going 404 would have really hurt versatility: Even the 303 wasn't so great at 20+mph crosswinds. On the other hand, keep in mind that I had purchased that front wheel in May of 2009. I really don't think I can complain too much about having an almost six-year old wheel with 12,000 miles on it replaced with a brand-new 2015 303 Firecrest. Bottom line: I still think Zipp/SRAM have done right by me. I find it very hard to think up any even remotely realistic way to handle this any better. My 2 cents.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    ^I would have asked them to supply you with new Zipp carbon Firecrest rims so you could build a new wheelset with your existing hubs (including Powertap).

RoadBikeReview Member
    They gave me that option (that was the third one), but I decided against it. My rear wheel is completely different anyway (a 404 with a Powertap hub, versus the 303 front wheel, plus I usually have a different tire in the rear as well), so having identical rims is more or less irrelevant.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Update: I talked to my LBS this morning. He called me after having talked to the guys at Zipp in Indiana. Turns out they found a crack in the carbon part of the rim, so they don't want to relace a new hub to my old rim. They gave me three options:
    1. Replace my 303 with a 404 front wheel. Apparently those are still available with the aluminum brake track.
    2. Replace my 303 with a brand new 303 Firecrest, all-carbon wheel
    3. Third option would have involved replacing both rear rim and front wheel so that the rims would match, but that wasn't workable since I have a Powertap in my rear, and Zipp doesn't build wheels with Powertaps anymore.

I'm not really thrilled about the all-carbon wheel, but going 404 would have really hurt versatility: Even the 303 wasn't so great at 20+mph crosswinds. On the other hand, keep in mind that I had purchased that front wheel in May of 2009. I really don't think I can complain too much about having an almost six-year old wheel with 12,000 miles on it replaced with a brand-new 2015 303 Firecrest. Bottom line: I still think Zipp/SRAM have done right by me. I find it very hard to think up any even remotely realistic way to handle this any better. My 2 cents.
    I've returned my 2010 808s (aluminum braking) and they gave me similar options as you. I went for the upgrade to the latest 808 FCs with the new V9 rear hub for less than $1K.

So, now I'll have the following in my stable:

2015 Zipp 808 FC - pending
    2013 Zipp 303 FC
    2013 Zipp 404 FC
    2008 Zipp 404 Zedtech (aluminum braking with dimpled hubs)
    2007 Zipp 404 rear (aluminum braking)
    2006 Zipp 303 front (aluminum braking)
    Last edited by Keoki; 03-03-2015 at 08:05 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    My rear wheel is completely different anyway (a 404 with a Powertap hub, versus the 303 front wheel, plus I usually have a different tire in the rear as well), so having identical rims is more or less irrelevant.
    But that will anger the cycling Gods.

RoadBikeReview Member
    But that will anger the cycling Gods.

Oh well, these guys have been angry at me for like forever...

Pay heed people
    Jun 2014
    Not sure where all the Zipp and SRAM bashing is coming from. I use SRAM Force on my road/racing bike and love it. I've even hard wrecked it a few times and my shifters are scuffed as hell but fine. I never mis-shift, etc.

As for my wheels - Zipp 303 Firecrest. I'll have to check the hubs, but since I just got them last year, I doubt they're affected. The braking is not a problem at all on these wheels. I've used them in wet weather and on extreme downhills (I live in Seattle, we have plenty of both) and no problems. I rode a group ride last weekend at a slower pace so my kiddo could ride with me. We did some big descents (1.2 miles, 8% downhill) and I was on my brakes almost the whole time to keep with the slower group. I felt my brake track at the end, still cool to the touch and no extra squealing or chattering.

I use my 303s for almost every ride now, never even throwing my aluminum clinchers on in the wet anymore. They work great in all conditions and can take a serious beating.

Just sayin...

RoadBikeReview Member
    That's great to hear, so maybe my distrust of those carbon brake tracks is unjustified. We'll see. Out of curiosity, what pads do you use?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast