RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010

CX/Road bike w/suspension and discs?

Looking for opinions of a custom build all rounder that has been bouncing around my head on long training rides. All thoughts, expertise or ridicule will be accepted.

Rider: 47yr old- 25+yrs cycling mtb, 8yrs road- 210lbs- past expert level racer, now train/ride for mild competitive enjoyment, fitness and ride a couple of centuries or endurance events a year. Bike to be used on 2hr to several hour Colorado road rides with lots of climbing/ descending. Potentially used as all rounder/CX style bike on smoother dirt roads too. Currently riding Ti soft-tail mtb, Landshark road and Niner monstercross, which the proposed bike will replace.

Proposed bike: Custom Titanium frame and fork. Designed for all day comfort but performance a close second consideration. Stiff for climbs, but balanced and sure handling. Suspension- Silk ti or YBB type to absorb road vibration and increased control on descents and cornering. Fork will be titanium to match if build is possible, if not then leaning toward Woundup. Road discs front and back for power, modulation and wet weather riding. Wheelset will probably be handbuilt CK with lean toward strong all rounder/training rim, instead of lightweight. As for componants, think Ultegra/Chorus/SRAM level. Upgrades probable due to my own bike geekness!

Main concerns/questions-
    1) Shifter compatibility for road discs? What are they? Cable adapters?
    2) Anyone have experience/opinion with suspension on road bike performance?
    3) Comfort vs efficiency of road suspension?
    4) Ti fork issues or concerns at my weight and intended use?
    5) Estimated weight of finished project. Realistic sub 20lbs? Less?

Any experience, opinions, photos or links to similar projects would be appreciated.

Thanks. Ride Safe!

cs1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Why not a Ti cross frame with a CF fork? It's stiff and light. Suspension is going to add unwanted pounds which will negate any performance mods on a road bike, which is what you're looking for. Good luck on whatever you choose.
    1995 Waterford 1200
    1999 Waterford RSE-11
    Plus a host of old bikes too many to list.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    A Ti cross is right in there with the possible configurations that have bounced around the brain. I guess I am just looking for something a little different. A CF fork is the most realistic, a Ti fork is more in the realm of possibility. A big interest of this proposed frame is road discs, this limits the use of CF fork for disc mounts. Know of a couple, but this is my daydream bike at this time. Still working on the little details and,of course, the funds to build it!

As an example- Moots PsychloX YBB with discs and geometry tweaked to a slightly more road accomodating geoemetry. Add a Wound Up CX fork. Add Chris King disc wheelset = Sub 20lb road bike with all my crazy ideas incorporated. Not worried about racing weight, more interested in the all day performance and go anywhere ability of something different.

As for "unwanted pounds" , I am more concerned about the 10lbs around my waist than the 2-3lbs of bike frame/componants I am pondering.

Thanks for playing along.

RoadBikeReview Member
    This may give you some idea's. or
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]