Thread: More UK Steel

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011

More UK Steel

Fabulous rides, both of these:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails More UK Steel-bob-jackson-tourer.jpg   More UK Steel-bob-jackson-arrowhead-1.jpg   More UK Steel-bob-jackson-arrowhead-2.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2008
    very nice. I'm liking mine so much my carbon bike is going up for sale.
    Master of my own velocity.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009
    Tell us more! Model? What steel grade?

Burning Fists of Love

COOL have a question

Quote Originally Posted by photoboydc
    Fabulous rides, both of these:
    Was one of those an Olympus? I am in the process of saving to get a 73/74 Olympus restored.

Did they )Bob Jackson) have a catalog for you to peruse by the way?
    This old anvil has cracked alot of hammers

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011

Bob Jackson models

The yellow road bike is an Arrowhead...I should have posted a detail photo of the interesting lugwork. The tubing is 853, which I like quite a bit! The wheels are a wickedly light Reynolds carbon rim on White Industry hubs...1050 grams for the pair! The Arrowhead BB produces a fast and efficient frame, as it limits horizontal flex more than most. The pale blue/green Bob Jackson is a World Tourist in 631, quite an impressive tubing and fairly light. It has S&S couplers; BJ is a bargain for much custom work but unfortunately not at all for those couplers. Those wheels are Open Pro's on Record hubs. That is an exceptionally stable and satisfying touring bike, and unloaded it feels like a reasonably quick and responsive road bike. The lugwork is really custom; fleur d lis lugs from Ceeway, but the BB is more standard, as we decided to ovalise the chainstays to get a wider tire in there (which I have actually not done). Ceeway's fleur de lis BB is round stays only. I just ordered a BJ road frame in 953...I'm really curious about how those frames feel. I'm getting 853 fork blades, as Reynolds unfortunately make 953 blades only in a steep race angle, steeper than I need. Bob Jackson's website needs some work in my opinion, but there is one, and you can see all the different models they offer. I have two more BJ's which I will post when I get back home, along with lug details on the above two... Sorry to run on at such great length!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009
    What great bikes, thanks for the added details. I'm considering one of the off-the-peg frames. Does BJ publish geometry specs?

Burning Fists of Love

no worries

The yellow road bike is an Arrowhead...I should have posted a detail photo of the interesting lugwork. The tubing is 853, which I like quite a bit! The wheels are a wickedly light Reynolds carbon rim on White Industry hubs...1050 grams for the pair! The Arrowhead BB produces a fast and efficient frame, as it limits horizontal flex more than most. The pale blue/green Bob Jackson is a World Tourist in 631, quite an impressive tubing and fairly light. It has S&S couplers; BJ is a bargain for much custom work but unfortunately not at all for those couplers. Those wheels are Open Pro's on Record hubs. That is an exceptionally stable and satisfying touring bike, and unloaded it feels like a reasonably quick and responsive road bike. The lugwork is really custom; fleur d lis lugs from Ceeway, but the BB is more standard, as we decided to ovalise the chainstays to get a wider tire in there (which I have actually not done). Ceeway's fleur de lis BB is round stays only. I just ordered a BJ road frame in 953...I'm really curious about how those frames feel. I'm getting 853 fork blades, as Reynolds unfortunately make 953 blades only in a steep race angle, steeper than I need. Bob Jackson's website needs some work in my opinion, but there is one, and you can see all the different models they offer. I have two more BJ's which I will post when I get back home, along with lug details on the above two... Sorry to run on at such great length!
    Mine was rescued from being thrown out. It was precisely the attention to detail on the lugging and the pedals which caused me to stop and get it. Its impressive any way you slice it. Some lucky bastard got a 1969 FULLY CHROMED Hetchins a few years ago. EGAD, such beautiful lugs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011

geometry specs

I don't recall seeing specs on the website, but contact Donald at factory@bobjacksoncycles.demon.co.uk He has things well in hand over there, seems to me.

Burning Fists of Love

FULLY chromed Hetchins

http://www.nonlintec.com/chrome_mo/

Hands down, no BS, the most incredible machine I have to date seen. A true Ocular gasm.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011

Hetchins brakes?

What brakes would that bike have had originally?

Burning Fists of Love

good question

What brakes would that bike have had originally?
    Depends on the year. The Magnum Opus current model has a carbon fork with Dura Ace and can be spec'd to be Reynolds 953.

I would check the Hetchins site to see the specs for a model from that time period. I know they do their own wheels and some had them as well..

RoadBikeReview Member

What colour

Can you tell us what colour the top bike is. I've been fantasizing about a bike in BJ's pastel green but haven't been able to find a good pic. Wondering if that might be it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    Well, no...that's Aqua Verde, a really nice metal flake color. But I do have a BJ with some pastel green trim on it; I'll photograph it and post it when it stops raining here...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Those are great!!! I love my off the peg world tour, but your custom options are awesome. Can't wait to see your others.

Chris
    Fighting C ystic F ibrosis with C arbon F iber
    Learn More about CF here: www.cff.org

Burning Fists of Love

Bob Jackson coolness

I found a web site that has osme rather cool 70's Bob Jackson Bike Catalog images and specs. Rather cool. I posted the link iin the retro forum

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2008
    Is that definitely Verde Aqua? looks a bit like Verde chiaro from the (bad) colour charts...