Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007

2012 Trek Cronus Cx or 2012 Cannondale SuperX

Both look like great bikes but can't find much about either as far as reviews go. Especially the Cronus CX. Will be using it mainly for racing and have my own race wheels. Might even switch the Ultegra on the SuperX over to Sram based on personal preference.

Anybody have any opinions on either bike or which way I should decide? Hoping to order one or the other in the next week. One thing kinda nice with the Cronus is internal cable routing, where the SuperX does not have. I know the SuperX frame is sick light, but not too sure on the frame weight for the Cronus.

Price is not much of a factor as both are similarly priced.

Cannondale SuperX
    Shimano Ultegra
    Mavic Kysrium Equipe
    TRP EuroX brakes

Trek Cronus CX
    Sram Force
    Ultregra Tubeless wheels
    Avid Shorty Ultimate brakes

Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012 Trek Cronus Cx or 2012 Cannondale SuperX-2012-superx-3.jpg   2012 Trek Cronus Cx or 2012 Cannondale SuperX-24620003112.jpeg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2009
    Personally I would get the Chronus. Full Sram force with a sram carbon crank wins vs. heavier ultegra+ fsa alu crank. Plus The Ultegra wheels are tubeless compatible out of the box. Both are sweet bikes but i think the trek is specced better. Now i must disclose that I work part time at a bike shop that sells trek but If i were going to get a carbon cross bike that would be it. There is nothing that you really need to change on it except some racing wheels.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2006
    Have you ridden both sram and the current shimano? Usually people will have a preference one way or the other. For instance, I'd only consider a sram bike.

What's the price of the SuperX? Their site apparently is showing 2011 bikes. For my money, the SuperX is grossly overpriced compared to the CAADX.

But what do I know... I'm perfectly happy with my CX9. Sold a carbon s-works to fund a second one.

mattpnewell
    Jul 2006
    The CDALE frame is probably twice as stiff as the Trek. Speaking from experience since I have ridden both the Super X and the other Cronus CX. The Cronus just flexed in the bb too much for my taste, while the Super X was fantastic and had great handling.

Iohannes fac totum
    Mar 2008
    As a fan of C-dale, I'd opt for the Trek b/w those two.

veldrijder
    Nov 2007
    The Cronus CX is a real boat anchor. It's not the components either, it's a heavy frameset compared to its competition. Even with race wheels it's going to be 17-18 lbs. I spent some time with one recently as I was reviewing it for Canadian Cycling Magazine. It rode alright, but I wasn't particularly impressed.

I haven't been on a SuperX but it shares its geometry with the Cannondale aluminum cross bikes which are fantastic, and everyone I know with a SuperX has loved it.

The Cannondale is a lot less gimmicks and more bike, out of these two.

Iohannes fac totum
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoote View Post
    I haven't been on a SuperX but it shares its geometry with the Cannondale aluminum cross bikes which are fantastic, and everyone I know with a SuperX has loved it.

If you read the geo charts you'll see that there are differences b/w the CAADX and Super X. The Super X is a little more aggressive.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    I don't know if your set on those bikes as the only option, but there are a couple others that I think would be worth a look. Check out the Ridley's(2012 models just came out, most shops can get them through QBP) or if you are going to wrench yourself and the standard BB isn't a deal breaker then check out the Sette CX-1 at pricepoint.com. I just picked up a Sette CX-1 for 2G's and it rides very nice.

veldrijder
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 88 rex View Post
    If you read the geo charts you'll see that there are differences b/w the CAADX and Super X. The Super X is a little more aggressive.
    That's only partly correct. Yes there are some differences, but they are small compared to the differences to other brands.

Also, depending how you define "aggressive" I would say the CAADX is the more aggressive bike with shorter toptubes, wheelbase and quicker handling (due mainly to the 50 mm fork rake) across the board.

Iohannes fac totum
    Mar 2008
    That's only partly correct. Yes there are some differences, but they are small compared to the differences to other brands.

Also, depending how you define "aggressive" I would say the CAADX is the more aggressive bike with shorter toptubes, wheelbase and quicker handling (due mainly to the 50 mm fork rake) across the board.

Partly correct? Either they share geometry or they don't. They don't.

More aggressive to me would be longer top tubes and shorter head tubes.

Do not touch the trim.
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by AWILSON View Post
    or if you are going to wrench yourself and the standard BB isn't a deal breaker then check out the Sette CX-1 at pricepoint.com. I just picked up a Sette CX-1 for 2G's and it rides very nice.
    I can't beleive more people don't look at the Sette bike. That's a great setup for the price...label *****s I guess.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffS View Post
    Have you ridden both sram and the current shimano? Usually people will have a preference one way or the other. For instance, I'd only consider a sram bike.

What's the price of the SuperX? Their site apparently is showing 2011 bikes. For my money, the SuperX is grossly overpriced compared to the CAADX.

But what do I know... I'm perfectly happy with my CX9. Sold a carbon s-works to fund a second one.
    The SuperX is a little cheaper by a few hundred bucks. I do prefer sram, but would be open to trying the shimano. I figure it would also be pretty easy to sell off the new ultegra shifters and rear derailleur for some force. I also have my own handlebar, stem, seat post combo that I love that I'd probably put on whatever bike I get.

I wish they still made the cx9. that's a great bike. The caadx is a totally different bike compared to what the caad 9 cross bikes were.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    This is the new 2012 Cannondale homepage. It's not working 100% yet but should be soon.

http://stg.cannondale.com/#

RoadBikeReview Member
    No experience on the Cannnodale but the Cronus CX is a great riding bike--have put multiple people on them with good luck. Would also take issue with anyone claiming another bike is 2x as stiff. Too many variables like wheels, cranks etc.

veldrijder
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bjkfly View Post
    The caadx is a totally different bike compared to what the caad 9 cross bikes were.
    The CAAD9 cross frame was definitely underrated. They seem to be trying to keep the SuperX relatively accessible by offering a Rival build, but I'm not sure that's necessarily what people are looking for.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2009
    I would also like to add that I would take the trek over the super x, and I own a c-dale cx9/xtj.

veldrijder
    Nov 2007
    Those of you recommending the Trek haven't said too much about why.

It is stiff, and it has pretty good components but it was definitely the most underwhelming $3850 bike I've ever ridden. It's also about a pound heavier than most of the competition due to the aluminum steertube and a generally heavy frame.

If you need the fender mounts and such, it's alright, but as far as racing cyclocross I've been much happier on other bikes (Kona, CAAD9, Blue Norcross, etc).

LA CHEVRE
    I'd take the Cannondale. Even my CX9 is lighter than the Cronus.

Not sure if they'll be available in time for this year's start of the cross season but Cannondale will offer the SuperX in both Hi-Mod carbon (as the current 2011 frames all are) on higher speced models and a 'not-as-Hi-Mod' carbon on the lower speced models... Of course the non Hi-Mod will be a few grams heavier but the frame stiffness and geometry (made out of the same molds) will be the same. It will allow a cheaper price or better specs at the same price.

DAN GEROUS

: ROAD
    : CYCLOCROSS
    : MOUNTAIN BIKING

Iohannes fac totum
    Mar 2008
    Those of you recommending the Trek haven't said too much about why.

It is stiff, and it has pretty good components but it was definitely the most underwhelming $3850 bike I've ever ridden. It's also about a pound heavier than most of the competition due to the aluminum steertube and a generally heavy frame.

If you need the fender mounts and such, it's alright, but as far as racing cyclocross I've been much happier on other bikes (Kona, CAAD9, Blue Norcross, etc).

The Trek is prettier.

<-----In the midst of potentially buying a 2012 Rival version Super X

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    jmoote have you ridden the Super X or Ibis Hakkalugi or any of the carbon Ridleys?

veldrijder
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by limba View Post
    jmoote have you ridden the Super X or Ibis Hakkalugi or any of the carbon Ridleys?
    Haven't ridden a SuperX (only CAAD9 cyclocross as far as Canondale goes).

Carbon cross bikes I have tried: Ridley X-Fire, Stevens Team Carbon, Kona, Trek Cronus CX and my Blue Norcross

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2009
    I retract my original statements voting for the trek. I would get the Super-x, i didn't realize that the trek came with an alu steerer(i should know that considering i work at a trek shop, but then we don't sell any cross bikes so..)
    I think i would also get the kona major jake carbon over the trek. Now thats a sweet frame.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    I don't like the Kona colors for 2012. I'm interested in the Super X, Ibis Hakkalugi, Ridley and possibly the new carbon Raleigh.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    get the cannondale.

Iohannes fac totum
    Mar 2008
    Somewhat related question. Where did that pic of the white/black with Ulteggra Super X come from? I thought the white/black was going to be equipped with Rival, AND I thought white/black was the "non-HM" model.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast