RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005

Any feedback on the Houffalize CX tire

Anyone have any feedback on the Specialized Houffalize CX tire. Looking for a good race tire for the PNW mud. I see alot of people like the Mud 2 and am considering it. I looked at the Houffalize CX at the LBS and it looks like it would perform well in the mud and is a few bucks less than the Michelin.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2006
    Well, I like mine but I live in the Norcal dust right now. What I like about them is that they are predicatable. They may not have the same bite as some tires with chunky knobs but I feel more confident surfing them in the corners and I think that more than makes up for any lack of bite. I like the little sipe, or whatever, around the edge that seems like it would hold up in the corners. And on pavement, they are titts. No scarry stuff.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    I have ridden both tires in BC, so the same conditions you will see and hands down prefer the Michelin Mud 2.

Spend the extra money and get the Michelins.
    They are lighter, better traction in the mud and around corners, roll better on the gravel and road sections and can also be run at a lower psi, I had to run the Houffalize at 55-60psi in order to prevent pinch flats, I can run the Michelin at 40 front and 45 rear (I am 150-155 lbs).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2003
    isn't amazing how we all run such different pressures. I'm 165 and run my muds at 35 lbs. I have a set of the Houffalize that I won at a CX race. I use em for early season training tires on gravel roads and such. I concur with JPHcross. No reason not to get the muds over these.

CDB
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I've raced the Muds for years and always felt they are the best clincher. They have a good grabby tread that hooks up well in a variety of conditions and the casing has a pretty large volume, much bigger than their advertised 30c. Because of that, you can get away w/ a couple psi lower.

That said, I have been running the Houffalize tires for training this fall and tried them at one race last fall in the muddy off camber grease mud. Ok, I didn't race them, but did a couple warm up laps with them at Estacada just to see how they did. (They were on the pit bike and I raced w/ tubular Grifos.) But I did learn from that experience that they really hook up well on the off camber stuff. That little fin/ridge at the edge works really well. The tires are also lighter than the muds. They are a slightly faster rolling tire due to the tread blocks. I really can't say how well they do in the mud, from the "packing up" side of things.

Earlier this fall, I did a local series race and used the Houffalize both times. I also used them for the Kruger's Kermesse race, which was essentially a dirt crit w/o barriers. They worked fabulous for dry conditions. I actually was running them pretty low (35/38) and banged a baby head rock hard enough to crack one of my rims. Surprisingly, I didn't pinch flat! I weigh 168 and you could say I'm a Cat A finesse rider.