Railing the Berm of Life

Anybody use Novatec hubs in the mud and wet?

If so, how do they hold up?

In eyeing either the f482sb(rear) + a291sb(f) combo

or the f372sb(rear) + a271sb (front)

I know the Chinese carbon wheel thread mentions these hubs a few times but I diddnt see many posts about nasty cross conditions.

Thanks guys!
    Dirt is good for the soul

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    I don't know about novatec in particular but I've used unbranded taiwanese hubs CX this year without issue. I only had to regrease the pawls on the freehub body at the end of the season. They were dry.

Railing the Berm of Life
    Thanks! I wonder how the bearing quality compares between different Taiwanese hub manufacturers.

I think Ill be okay. Im not afraid to pull em apart and fix em when they act up(if i have to)

RoadBikeReview Member
    The Novatec's I've seen use sealed bearings so they'll be fine for CX use. I can't speak for all models though, so it might be worth contacting the seller to verify the bearing setup in them.

Railing the Berm of Life
    The ones I am interested in have sealed bearings. I read in the Circus Monkey(another Taiwanese hub) thread that they would get all sorts of messed up in the wet because of the cheap bearings with crap seals.

I guess Ill have to find out! Thanks guys.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo View Post
    The ones I am interested in have sealed bearings. I read in the Circus Monkey(another Taiwanese hub) thread that they would get all sorts of messed up in the wet because of the cheap bearings with crap seals.

I guess Ill have to find out! Thanks guys.
    If you wear them out over a CX season order a set of Enduro Bearings and you'll be good to go for a couple more seasons. I raced two seasons on Mavic Ksyriums and they're still good as new, they certainly weren't designed for CX, but they're taking to the mud quite well.

Railing the Berm of Life
    Thats a great idea. Thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    My cx wheels are all Novatec hubs and they are still running fine after seeing a few pretty nasty races last year, plus plenty of post-race hose-downs (though I try to avoid spraying the hubs directly).

These are the FHA291SB and RHF482SB hubs. They use sealed bearings.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    I have run some Vuelta wheels which use Novatec hubs (A191SB front, F172SB rear) and they held up well at USGP Madison which was real muddy on day 2.

I have since built a set of NoTubes Alpha 340 wheels using Novatec F171SB and F172SB and they also held up well to the mud and pressure washers at CX Nats. I'm planning on building a second set with the same hubs.