More Cowbell!

Anyone ridden newer Gin and Trombones?

May look into getting one with disc tabs and BB30. Any comments on frame and fork? I have heard that the fork is harsh but the frame is smooth. I like the lower BB and expect it to track well.
    Pro rep, yo!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I believe the geometry is the same as the older models. The differences are the disk tabs, tapered headtube and BB30. If so, it should be nicer than my older G&T. The older non tapered HT forks also had problems with tire and brake clearance. I have to deflate my tire to clear the brake pads. The new forks have more room for the pads to clear. Of course,a disk fork would obviate that too.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Keep in mind the new G & T rear spacing is 130mm. That may work for you, but was a deal breaker for me. I have the older model and love it, but don't need yet another type of wheel. For my new disc bike I went with the Stevens Vapor.

More Cowbell!
    Quote Originally Posted by Suhr40 View Post
    Keep in mind the new G & T rear spacing is 130mm. That may work for you, but was a deal breaker for me. I have the older model and love it, but don't need yet another type of wheel. For my new disc bike I went with the Stevens Vapor.
    The Vapor is 135mm and has BB30? I looked at the Stevens web site and it didn't say anything about BB.
    Pro rep, yo!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    No, the Stevens is not BB30. Which for me was another plus. I like having as much interchangeability with my bikes as possible, and none of my other bikes were BB30 either. I am using the Shimano CX70 crankset with the external bearings.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    Let us know how the Shimano crank/bb lasts.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    I have the newest Gin & Trombones with disc brakes and absolutely love it.

I agree with the assessment: the front fork is stiff but the frame is smooth. I've done road rides of decent length on it with no problem (100km). I also race cyclocross and ride dirt roads. It's great for that.

I have some Velocity wheels. White Industries also makes disc hubs that fit the 130mm rear.

Masters Neophyte
    All I know is that I'm still bummed I didn't wait and shell out more bucks for the "Flanders colorway" or WTF they call it. That was *next* years model, which is why I got a deal on my B/W one.
    Brooke- IIRC, you're on the "wrong" side of the river, but check out CyclePath in NoPo. They carry Vin Diesel (heh) and are fluent in all things CX.
    Capt Willard: "Every minute I stay in this room, I get weaker, and every minute Charlie squats in the bush, he gets stronger."