RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002

Anyone tried using a Tektro R556?

I've been considering changing my front brake from cantis to a new long-reach caliper by Tektro, the R556. The reach distance on my steel fork is just under 60mm, which was too long for previous "long reach" brakes, but these ones go from 55-73mm.

Like a lot of people, I've never really been satisfied with my cantilevers. Has anyone out there tried these brakes?

http://www.tektro.com/02products/10rb-1.php

duh...
    what are you gonna do with the canti posts?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    If you unscrew them, they come right out.

Game on, b*tches!
    How much clearance for mud do they have? Doesn't look like a lot.
    Originally Posted by tetter
    'Pain is temporary, and there might be beer at the finish line'

"Karma is spread in lots of different ways. You know, like herpes."
    catzilla
    "I'm an American male. This is pizza. Leave me alone!"
    Alton Brown
    ohnoIaintsuckingnomore.blogspot.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Kram
    How much clearance for mud do they have? Doesn't look like a lot.
    Vertically, there's obviously enough to bring it to the same level as the fork crown. In the pictures below, there's room for it to easily go over a fender.
    Horizontally, I'm not totally sure, but it looks slightly wider than the fork in these two pictures:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/8193389...7603734463239/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/20084214@N00/1508954023/

If that's right, then clearance shouldn't be an issue, even in muddy conditions.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by winstonc
    I've been considering changing my front brake from cantis to a new long-reach caliper by Tektro, the R556. The reach distance on my steel fork is just under 60mm, which was too long for previous "long reach" brakes, but these ones go from 55-73mm.

Like a lot of people, I've never really been satisfied with my cantilevers. Has anyone out there tried these brakes?

http://www.tektro.com/02products/10rb-1.php
    Dude, on a cross bike??? No way.

A decent canti CAN be setup to work well. Its just like glueing tubies. It sucks till you get the hang of it, and it takes more time, but it CAN be done in every case, unless the bike is made with the posts welded on wrong or something.

I have found that older, higher end cantis work significantly better then these new short arm tektro like cantis, which I have found to have a crappy feel and no power.

Get some old XTs off ebay, for example, last model pre v-brake. Then get modern cartridge pads so you dont have to reset your brakes to change pads.

I also have some tubular arm tektros that I got last year, that were cheap NOS. They are sort of avid tri align knock offs. They are light and flexy and work very nice. The old shimano stuff can be up to 50 bucks on ebay for a set, as they are in demand. Still less then new tektros.

Just my 2 cents. I dont think you would be happy with a road caliper on a cross bike. On a commuter, maybe (fenders)?

J
    Close the door, its cold out!
    my blogness

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by jerry_in_VT
    Dude, on a cross bike??? No way.

A decent canti CAN be setup to work well. Its just like glueing tubies. It sucks till you get the hang of it, and it takes more time, but it CAN be done in every case, unless the bike is made with the posts welded on wrong or something.

Just my 2 cents. I dont think you would be happy with a road caliper on a cross bike. On a commuter, maybe (fenders)?

Yeah, but why not? I see an explanation of how it's possible to make cantis not suck (despite the constant discussions about squeal and shudder) -- but not why these should be avoided. Is it a fashion thing?

RoadBikeReview Member

CX Brakes

Quote Originally Posted by winstonc
    Yeah, but why not? I see an explanation of how it's possible to make cantis not suck (despite the constant discussions about squeal and shudder) -- but not why these should be avoided. Is it a fashion thing?
    I think you should give the Tektro's a try - with the caveat that they are categorized under comfort road/ fitness.

I think these brakes strong points are that they are an elegant solution to braking. Much easier to set up with both pads hitting the rim simultaneously, and cable routing is cleaner.

Bottom line though is that should expect less braking power and more effort at the lever, but you'll be different from everybody else which is pretty cool!

One more thing to add is the rim surface and brake compound playing a significant roll in the overall braking power equation.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2006
    less power, worse mud clearance, harder to remove the wheel with tire attached. i dont think loooong arm caliper brakes have much grunt. you may get alot of pad rub up on the tire too, from the flex unless you have a deep brake surface.

but by all means, use them. you just asked why not.
    Close the door, its cold out!
    my blogness